jensey

Bakery Employee/celiac Sufferer Want To Ensure I Am Stating Gluten Free Properly

Rate this topic

I manage a bakery was diagnosed in July with Celiac...Yeah I know...I am waiting for the right opportunity to get out of that department.

ANYWAY I am posting to ask if I am being appropriately cautious when I state:

1. "The manufacturers who make this product state and have been told by the health department (of Lane County Oregon) that their practices are in line with allowing it to be called gluten free. However, the product comes in and is exposed to an area where wheat has been present recently so I am unable to guarantee that it is gluten free."

2. Any product that is "wheat free" and prepared in this department is not necessarily "GLUTEN FREE" because wheat has been used within less than 8 hours of this product being processed, therefore it may have been exposed to residual wheat.

I, as a person dealing with celiac disease, want to ensure I give proper info without making folks overly paranoid. I usually tell suffering from or buying for a person with gluten INTOLERANCE "We cannot guarantee an item is gluten free because it it processed in an environment that regularly uses flour". For anyone with celiac disease/buying for celiac sufferer I add "I suffer with celiac disease myself and as a precaution I don't eat items produced here even if they are wheat free because it isn't worth the risk FOR ME". It is hard for me because I want the business, but I also don't want ANYONE getting gluttened because I was under-cautious.

I would like to know if I am stating things properly. Any input is appreciated.

Yes IMHO you are stating things correctly for your customers. As for yourself I do hope they are able to move you to a different dept. soon.

2. Any product that is "wheat free" and prepared in this department is not necessarily "GLUTEN FREE" because wheat has been used within less than 8 hours of this product being processed, therefore it may have been exposed to residual wheat.

I wouldn't consider these products to be wheat-free either.