This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Eggs?

travelthomas

travelthomas Apprentice

I had read that mothers who are breast feeding their babies should avoid eating Gluten if they suspect their baby has Celiac Disease, because Gluten Proteins show up in Breast Milk.

Link to Gluten in Breast Milk: Open Original Shared Link

I had been suffering from Migraine Headaches and read about a link between Migraines and Milk, so I went Dairy Free, and my Migraines went away. I have to wonder if it had something to do with Dairy Cows being fed grains with Gluten.

I seem to have problems when I eat Eggs, even though the Eggs I eat are from my own chickens who are fed organic grains, and free ranged.

If Gluten can make it into Breast Milk, I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jennifer2 Explorer

I don't know about that, but I haven't been able to eat eggs (unless they were baked in something like bread) for years prior to my dx. For me it's just another food intolerance, not linked to celiac. I also have problems with bananas and avacados, again, not gluten related, just can't eat them.

Lisa Mentor

Here is a more accurate source for the information you listed:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/297/1/Breas...ease/Page1.html

Eggs or Meat would not be a gluten concern, unless it was an added ingredient in the product. Eggs and Meat are naturally gluten free. Many people here do have sensitivities to other foods in addition to gluten.

katie may Newbie

Eggs & dairy seem to cause problems for people with a compromised intestine but this doesn't seem to have any link to gluten. After reading Elaine Gottschall's book Breaking the Vicious Cycle, I began to understand how and why other foods can bother us. Evidently, gluten is not inherently evil. You may want to check it out to learn more. I think Leaky gut & food intolerances in general are way worse than Celiac!

travelthomas Apprentice

There

Roda Rising Star

I can eat dairy and eggs without any problems. I think some people are unfortunate to have many other food intolerences/allergies. If I had to give up cheese and yogurt I would be a very unhappy person. Milk I could live without.

This is off the subject but awesome picture. It might have been easier to ask for a bigger head! :lol: I think the picture is cute as can be and don't think the ears are big at all. My oldest son has slightly larger ears and I love them. He definately had to grow into them though.

travelthomas Apprentice
This is off the subject but awesome picture. It might have been easier to ask for a bigger head! :lol: I think the picture is cute as can be and don't think the ears are big at all. My oldest son has slightly larger ears and I love them. He definately had to grow into them though.

I did grow into my ears. I used that picture on another forum, and someone commented on how creepy that Santa looked so I did a Photoshop on it.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spunky Contributor

I've read that gluten eaten by an animal does not get into the meat or eggs.

But about a year after going gluten free, I suddenly began to get sick after eatng eggs. I kept trying on and off to eat them here and there, but always got sick. Never had a problem with them before, just after that first year gluten free.

I have no idea why this is, but eventually I got tired of trying to eat them. I avoid eggs and everything made with them now. I hate it because I love eggs for breakfast, and it's really hard to bake anything much good without eggs.

travelthomas Apprentice

I am starting to think that it is best to avoid eating anything that eats Gluten as a rule. Maybe Gluten is not the problem, but with as bad as food is becoming, with growth hormones, GMO corn/alfalfa/soybeans/rice/etc, antibiotics, and so on, it’s becoming unsafe to eat anything engineered out of a laboratory.

Here Monsanto engineers GMO crops that are toxic to insects, and people wonder why all the pollinating insects, such as bees, are disappearing. The stupidity of humanity is mind boggling.

There seems to be an inherent genetic flaw in the human species that allows the most ignorant and greedy of our species into administrative positions, and to date each time this happens there’s a purge (killing spree of the elites), such as the Russian revolution, Chinese revolution, French revolution, U.S. Civil War with the purge of the South, all the revolutions in Africa and South America, and so on.

I believe we are on the cusp of another purge, although this time because the greedy elites are controlling global administrative bodies, and there’s a human population like never before, this purge will be the biggest bang to date.

Lisa Mentor

Hey Thomas, it might be better to stick to the discussion about eggs and gluten.

Eggs are not problem relating to gluten. Cows that graze on wheat, do not contaminate the meat that we consume.

brigala Explorer

I haven't had a problem with eggs, but I have thought about switching what I feed my chickens to something that doesn't contain gluten. This is primarily so I can stop handling gluten-filled feed.

We've already stopped feeding our sheep COB (Corn-Oats-Barley) and give them alfalfa pellets instead when we want to give them a treat. We rarely eat our sheep but occasionally we've got a spare one that goes in the freezer. I feel better about that knowing that we have gluten-free sheep, even though I do fine on meat that I know has been fed gluten. My uncle raises both cattle and wheat and sometimes he feeds the wheat to the cattle... and the beef we get from his farm hasn't caused me any issue.

I don't understand how gluten can be in human milk but not in cow's milk. But I am finding an increase in the frequency of milk problems I have. It's still intermittent and I can tolerate milk most of the time, but the times when I can't are happening more often.

Jestgar Rising Star

Cows and chickens are designed to eat grains, humans are not.

brigala Explorer
Cows and chickens are designed to eat grains, humans are not.

Hmm. Ok. I can buy that.

travelthomas Apprentice
I haven't had a problem with eggs, but I have thought about switching what I feed my chickens to something that doesn't contain gluten. This is primarily so I can stop handling gluten-filled feed.

We've already stopped feeding our sheep COB (Corn-Oats-Barley) and give them alfalfa pellets instead when we want to give them a treat. We rarely eat our sheep but occasionally we've got a spare one that goes in the freezer. I feel better about that knowing that we have gluten-free sheep, even though I do fine on meat that I know has been fed gluten. My uncle raises both cattle and wheat and sometimes he feeds the wheat to the cattle... and the beef we get from his farm hasn't caused me any issue.

I don't understand how gluten can be in human milk but not in cow's milk. But I am finding an increase in the frequency of milk problems I have. It's still intermittent and I can tolerate milk most of the time, but the times when I can't are happening more often.

brigala,

I have a friend like me who sells her eggs, but she doesn

Jestgar Rising Star
Like you I can
travelthomas Apprentice
I disagree with this statement. Cows are only remotely similar to humans, genetically.

They discovered the cattle genome contains at least 22,000 genes, 80 percent of which are shared with humans. And the team found that cattle have far more in common genetically with humans than do mice or rats, and might make better subjects for studying human health.

The genome of the cow has at least 22,000 genes, which is almost identical to the number found in humans. Most of the genes are also identical so, for instance, both cows and humans have a gene for growth hormone, Taylor said.

Scientists were able to tell that cows have specialized genes that help them metabolize food. And both genomes may have adapted to each other.

"Humans drink a lot of cow's milk and that's resulted in a change in the human genome so we are lactose-tolerant," Taylor said.

In fact, the cow gene sequence and the chromosomal arrangements are more similar to humans than rodents. "That means when we try to understand human biology by studying genes in related organisms, we may be better off looking at the cow sequence for a lot of functions we study in mice and rats," Worley said.

So if it is true that we are so close to cows in genetic makeup, and humans are supposedly lactose-tolerant, then it

lovegrov Collaborator
I believe we are on the cusp of another purge, although this time because the greedy elites are controlling global administrative bodies, and there
travelthomas Apprentice
As to the subject, eggs do NOT contain gluten. Every single celiac I know eats eggs safely unless they have an egg allergy.

richard

richard,

Do you have any solid research to make this claim?

woodnewt Rookie

I have problems with eggs, but have no allergy to them. I'd like to know if the gliadin is transferred to the egg as well, but cannot find any medical article showing research proving it one way or the other.

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine, who is allergic to fish and shellfish, cannot eat eggs if the chickens have been fed fish meal without it triggering an allergic reaction. He also gets the same reaction from sea salt.

Swimmr Contributor
Like you I can
brigala Explorer

I don't think it matters how much or how little genome we share with cows. The fact remains that cows DO digest differently than we do. I don't think anybody can argue that the digestive system of a ruminant is very similar to the digestive system of an omnivore like humans.

So this offers a plausible explanation why gluten may show up in human milk but not in cow's milk. Scientific proof? Not by a long shot. But a plausible explanation nonetheless. It would make sense that the proteins in grains are more fully digested and broken down in a cow than they would be in a human.

I think the question about how gluten passes through into milk, and in which animals, and in what quantities, and under what circumstances, should be studied further. It would also be interesting to see whether Celiacs who also react to meat, milk, or eggs, would do better if they ate those foods sourced from animals on gluten-free diets.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
richard,

Do you have any solid research to make this claim?

Not all celiacs have problems with eggs. If you want maybe do a board poll and see for yourself how many on here have no issues with them. I am a very sensitive celiac and super strict and eat eggs with no issues. Some of us do have other intolerances and/or a leaky gut that allows other proteins to cross over into the blood stream and would cause us to have a reaction but it would not be a gluten reaction.

Jestgar Rising Star
So if it is true that we are so close to cows in genetic makeup, and humans are supposedly lactose-tolerant, then it
travelthomas Apprentice

I keep reading, but when it comes to sensitivities I keep seeing the line,

travelthomas Apprentice

This is my hen Rosie on the nest. She

Archived