This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2009 Thanksgiving Disasters

Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

We are having Thanksgiving on Friday so today I was baking pies and deboning my birds for my Turducken.

The deboning went fine. I've done this for a few years so I did a turkey in 10 minutes with only one knife nick to my finger.

First thing this morning I thought I'd be fresh enough to make my pie crusts. Easy enough, I use Gluten Free Pantry's Pie Crust mix. Another thing I've used for years, no surprises. I had the TV on while mixing it up. Must have been a good movie. I mixed the mix with the butter, patted it into my pie plates, slapped in the pecans for one and cranberries in the other. Tossed them into the oven.

Then I started mixing up the same crust for the double apple pie. I was mixing in the eggs, baking powder and cider vinegar thinking I didn't remember doing that for the first batch. Yep, I have one pecan pie and a cranberry pie that have just the mix and butter for crust. Of course I had to try a piece of the pecan for a taste test.

Crust tastes find, just very flaky, does not hold together at all (think very flaky crust is a sign of a good cook). You really need a spoon to eat. But heck, no one will mind, it tastes great with the filling.

So what your disaster this Holiday?

Update: Thought I should taste test the pecan pie this morning. The crust is holding together just fine. Must have been too hot when I tried it out of the oven yesterday. Maybe I should taste test it again just to be sure.

My turkeys in the oven, everything else is either in the crock-pots heating or waiting to slide into the oven. I need to vacuum and then clean myself up for company this afternoon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I may be one of the last ones on here that still intends to eat on Thursday but hasn't finished cooking yet. (the kitchen is small and my spouse and I take turns making something and staying out of each other's way. he's in there now)

I really think I'm hawt stuff with my baking ability, except I can't get a gluten free loaf of anything with yeast in it to come out normal size to save myself. Pies, pizza, cookies, cakes, quick breads, pancakes, pan breads from scratch, yes.... just not a loaf. So today I thought I'll use my usual quick multi grain/nut bread that always comes out, leavened with vinegar and baking soda as always, and just add the yeast in for flavoring, and not bother to try to rise it.

Of course, now I'm looking at an inch and a half tall brick sitting there on the kitchen counter. :huh:

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Ha! I was just coming here to see if there was a post regarding Thanksgiving glutenings, mishaps, or just surviving t-day in general.

It was just our little family...so not too much to cook. I made a vanilla cream pie, and the first attempt at tempering (sp?) my eggs didn't go so well, it tasted "eggy" and my cornstarch clumped up. Since it was just us, I almost used it anyway, but I tried again and it worked the 2nd time around.

I have to admit, it was really nice just having a small dinner for my kids and hubby. I didn't have to worry about crumbs, and best yet, I didn't have to lug a million dishes of food to someone's house! We didn't avoid dairy completely, since dh bought some cream cheese for a dip, and regular butter instead of Earth Balance. But we'll survive, I don't think one day of dairy will do much harm, it's usually the build up over days that seems to get us.

Anyway, not much in the way of mishaps here! I'll never forget the one year my then 4 year old son decided to "help" me by putting a thick layer of salt on top of the sweet potato casserole : )

curlyfries Contributor

I started doing some prep work last night. I needed dry bread crumbs to top a cauliflower gratin dish. The recipe suggested to toast the bread while still frozen. Problem was....it was really frozen. Using a knife to pry the slices apart......do you see where this is going?

Yup........2 stitches in the thumb. After we returned home from the emergency care, I toasted the bread. Don't have a gluten-free toaster, so I did it in the oven. I guess I overdid it, because my food processor wouldn't chop it up.

So I had to put the toast in a freezer bag and hammer it to death on the garage floor. :P

purple Community Regular

I shoulda baked the lemon bars a few extra minutes, kinda gooey, but sure were good! My non-gluten-free dh loved them! Finally, something gluten-free he liked! I made Karina's pumpkin cake and it was wonderful!!!

You have seen how people stuff their suitcases and then try to close them???

Well I pushed and smashed and suished and squashed...didn't work. I wanted sit sit on it. Then I tried to cut the legs off...couldn't do that. So I flipped that 11 lb. TURKEY upside down and smashed it some more. Just about right. Then I jammed it into the toaster oven. Whatdaya know? It barely fit. Good thing it was already dead :lol: Poor thing...tasted great though. :P

My oven broken a long while back...so I baked the turkey the night before to free up the little oven today! Mrs. P's yeast rolls were great too!

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

Well, it was a near-miss. There weren't quite enough serving spoons for each dish & hostess suggested sharing the spoon for the gluten-free quinoa with the stuffing! Augh! I had to insist they NOT do that, otherwise, my husband & I would be in trouble with CC.

amberlynn Contributor

Actually, everything went very well. We were short a couple of people (I have a slight cold that just keeps hanging on), but I cooked last year, and I was determined to make it through! So, lots and lots of hand sanitizer :lol:

Everything came out great, except the biscuits :rolleyes: . I just cannot seem to get the hang of them! LOL! They tasted like baking powder... again. Of course, I also forgot the xanthan gum... again. Oh well!

The 'disaster' of the evening, was my dairy allergic son breaking out in hives and his face swelling up :( . Not good. 2 doses of Benadryl and he was OK, but I'm still not sure what caused it, cause I made EVERYTHING from scratch... I'm thinking its either the Kool-Aid or the Turkey (Sadly, I didn't read the label, DH did).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nmlove Contributor

This was our first gluten-free Thanksgiving. Actually, our first big food event. I was a little nervous as we are at my in-laws. And once there I realized how little of what I've been telling them got through to them. This is going to be a long road.

1. Can't they (the boys) just eat the pumpkin filling out of the crust? (I'm sure this is a classic.)

2. Towels everywhere and I had no idea what they had touched so I was trying to contain it all in one area of the kitchen and away from the food.

3. Heating the rolls (from Bob Evans) and just laying them down on whatever surface. (This happened so fast I couldn't stop it.)

I could go on. Too much food. Too much I or the boys couldn't eat. But that's ok. My boys are little so it's not like they stuff themselves. They had some ham, cornbread (I made and brought), some fruit, corn, pumpkin bars for dessert (I made and brought). And that was my own personal disaster. It should have cooked longer. The middle of a 9x13 all gummy. At least the edges were salvageable.

I must say though that my in-laws are trying. They bought a bunch of gluten-free food - pasta, mixes and snacks. But obviously the CC issue still needs to be learned!

Becci Enthusiast

As for my TG disaster? Well, I got glutened... The worst I have ever been!!!

I didn't eat anything other than my food and a gluten-free turkey my sister in law made for me.

Everything I made was known 100% gluten-free, as it was veggies. The only two things it could have been was something on or in the turkey, or the new milk I used. (my Dh bought Vanilla almond milk instead of regular... wouldn't taste very good in mashed potatoes)...

So, I went to the store and got some Gustafson's regular milk. I have no problem with dairy, just prefer almond milk.

Well, I live down the road from Gustafson's, and didn't think they're milk would be any bad... Until I learned that they process it with a ton of stuff not labled. IE, possible Gluten.

To make it even better, I learned that it was the milk later last night. I was still a little hungry, so I made some Mrs. Leepers Tuna mix... using the same Gustafson's milk. Within three hours, I was throwing up so much my Dh didn't think I would stop. After that, my body was already weak enough I could hardly walk to the bathroom to throw up... but afterwards, I had to grab on to the counter just to pull myself up and it took me almost 5 minutes to walk to my livingroom...

So, milk... baaaaadddd.

I didn't know milk could possibly be processed with gluten?!?

GFinDC Veteran

No big disaster for me. Muffin the meowser got some extra kitty treats. I made some Betty Crocker gluten-free brownies with walnuts and peanut butter, and a little flax seed meal and psyillium husks added for fiber. I had eaten some sunflower seeds I had in the fridge for a few months in the morning. Had a little reaction from those and didn't really feel like eating much. I was also getting over a reaction to some garbanzo beans I had eaten a couple days earlier, and they didn't sit well. Other than that I ate some bacon, and drank a little red wine. I got a turkey breast but will probably cook that this evening. Definitely not a disaster in my book.

Becci, how's about a trip to the doctor to check on your tummie? Have you reacted to dairy like that before?

Becci Enthusiast
Becci, how's about a trip to the doctor to check on your tummie? Have you reacted to dairy like that before?

No, dairy doesn't bother me... It is gluten that makes me react like this... And this is the WORST ever!

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

My mom's Thanksgiving on Wednesday went well...I didn't get sick at all, which was wonderful. She was super careful, calling me every few minutes to make sure every item was safe. :)

However, my in-laws' Thanksgiving last night didn't go as well...they assured me that their dishes were gluten free, despite my protests that gluten is in so many things, hidden. I ate Mashed potatoes, turkey, ham, corn, and a homemade gluten free banana creme pie, and ended up glutened anyway. I was up half of last night sick and I'll be recovering for the next couple days now.

I know they mean well and they really did try, but it's hard to explain that gluten is in so many things you don't think of. Maybe his grandma didn't realize that some pudding mixes have gluten and accidentally used a mix for the pie. Maybe his dad threw some sour cream into the potatoes because there wasn't any gluten listed, even though it may have been listed as modified food starch. There are just too many variables. Next year I'm offering to bring 3 dishes so I don't have to worry about this.

My Thanksgiving was half and half. One good one, one not so good one!

Janie

tarnalberry Community Regular

the roasted potatoes and beets could have cooked longer... :)

It went quite well.

homemaker Enthusiast

Here are my disasters and successes....

Pumpkin Pie came out great!

Apple Pie top crust came out too tough (made it too thick)

Pecan Pie crust was hard as a rock (it was the corn syrup, gluten-free Pie Crust and corn syrup don't mix)

Turkey was exceptional!

Stuffing was mediocre... :(

Homemade Cranberry Sauce was awesome!

My adult kids laughed at my need to have separate butter dishes and toaster... :(

Otherwise the Relatives were moderately well behaved....

I am grateful however...that I have found out what I have and am doing something about it!

I truly believe that Celiac Disease caused my mother and aunts early death....

I am so blessed to be able to have the knowledge that they did not have the opportunity to have...

Counting my blessings... :)

brendygirl Community Regular

Totally Gluten-Free turkey day again, but this time at my house with my Major's mother and my mom&stepdad all in from FL

We did lots of fix-it stuff on my new house (bank repo)

Parents woke at 4am (FL time 7am) and went to 24 hr Wal-Mart to buy me "appropriate" dishes and silverware (mine isn't heavy enough) for my belated birthday gifts.

My stepdad forgot to take his blood pressure meds on Tuesday (day 3)and blew his top and went MIA in the rental car.

Didn't hear from him till Wed. night-he'd flown back home.

Mom plugged up my sink by putting a whole bowl of broccoli down at once. Then when I used the hex wrench and the reset button, to no avail, and wanted to disassemble the pipes to get a clog out, she said we'd need special tools and made me call the plumber. $140 later, plumber said I could've done it myself. The pipes are plastic and you undo them with your hands.

Our yardwork day yielded a giant pile of brush that needed to be hauled. Guy drives by slowly and offers me half the price the other dude wanted and gets out his machete and packs it all in!

Meanwhile, carpet cleaner dude (and wife), 2 electricians (boys installing chandeliers), and furniture delivery dude all arrive at same time. All were cheerful and enjoying our sweet smelling foods we were cooking in the dark.

While in the midst of spackling holes in the walls, I had to pick up my Major's mom who was stranded at the airport. I've never met her, so I showered quick, my mom was drying my hair while I smeared on makeup! I have a 2 seater car so mom had to stay home while I entertained the lady in Palm Springs until our Major could get her.

She is a former teacher, so we got along awesome, but she did tell everyone she said the rosary to cope with my driving.

Tried a fresh turkey (not frozen) this year- Sheldon's- and it was good.

Told mom to cook the gluten-free stuffing OUT of the bird, but she said that was "UnAmerican" and it turned out like sludge. Had to chuck it.

Planned on making the normal gluten-free pie crust mix, but a friend said to use her recipe- but it burned after only 15 minutes in the oven. So, how do you fill it with apples and cranberries that bake for 45 min.?

Tried again to cook the apples separately, and that worked. Weird.

Sylvan Farms dark brown bread mix a success, again. Everyone ate it. Even my mom.

Sink got clogged with sweet potato skins and I had to disassemble it b4 guests arrived in my red dress.

My mom announced to everyone that they need to expect our food to taste a little "weird". ugh

Everyone enjoyed the sunset view at my house (no neighbors across street-only dry riverbed and walking path)

Major lured me into my closet and mauled me with our parents in the next room.

Everyone was eating appetizers (brie and Trader Joe's crackers, crudite with hummus, and 7 layer bars) and told her they couldn't tell a thing. Those crackers are AMAZING, even mom had to admit.

Our guests stayed until 11PM, so I guess they had a great time.

Mom has pics of most of this (even the fix-it guys)...I posted on my fb. lol

purple Community Regular

WHEW!!!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I am rejoicing and crying all at the same time when reading all the replies. I'm hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving in spite of the wounds and cc issues.

brigala Explorer

My Thanksgiving disaster --

Since I'm by far not the only Celiac in my family, my mom was doing a full gluten-free Thanksgiving at her house (2 hours away). I sent the kids down on the train but I couldn't go because I have a litter of puppies to care for this year.

I planned to cook a gluten-free Thanksgiving here at home, but came down with a very bad stomach virus or something. I spent Thanksgiving on clear liquids only. My Turkey is still in the cooler waiting to be roasted. A friend just sent over a homeopathic remedy to hopefully clear up the lingering effects of the illness so I can eat something substantial, so maybe in a few hours I'll feel better (she had what may have been the same bug, and it worked for her). In my desperation for a "hot meal" this evening I put a bowl of applesauce in the microwave. It was surprisingly good that way.

(sigh)

Oh well. There's always Christmas. :) And I do have many things to be thankful for, including a family that mostly "gets it."

Swimmr Contributor

No mishaps, no glutenings for me.

My mom placed a fork on top of each pie. It signified that THAT fork went with THAT pie and announced to use the fork ONLY for the pie it is on. LoL and someone said "why?" and my mom replied, "Because me and my daughter will be sick if you don't." We wouldn't have had issues if there weren't "other" pies brought. My mom made two "toxic" apple pies only, the other 4 pies were gluten free. Then some relatives brought a pecan pie and a pumpkin pie.

Noone ate any gluten free pumpkin pie...even though I am positive it was 10x better than the toxic one. But they tore up the gluten free banana and lemon meringue!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
My Thanksgiving disaster --

Since I'm by far not the only Celiac in my family, my mom was doing a full gluten-free Thanksgiving at her house (2 hours away). I sent the kids down on the train but I couldn't go because I have a litter of puppies to care for this year.

I planned to cook a gluten-free Thanksgiving here at home, but came down with a very bad stomach virus or something. I spent Thanksgiving on clear liquids only. My Turkey is still in the cooler waiting to be roasted. A friend just sent over a homeopathic remedy to hopefully clear up the lingering effects of the illness so I can eat something substantial, so maybe in a few hours I'll feel better (she had what may have been the same bug, and it worked for her). In my desperation for a "hot meal" this evening I put a bowl of applesauce in the microwave. It was surprisingly good that way.

(sigh)

Oh well. There's always Christmas. :) And I do have many things to be thankful for, including a family that mostly "gets it."

Your hot applesauce got such a huge 'ooohhh!!' from me! I know exactly how you feel and I'm trying that next time I'm that sick.

My Thanksgiving disaster was minor- I learned a few years ago that Ener-g brown rice bread makes awesome stuffing, so I sent my boyfriend out to get it. He came home with their yeast free, egg free white bread. I figured it couldn't be much different- boy was I wrong. Strangest tasting, fluffiest stuffing ever.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

brigala,

I hope you are feeling better. So sorry you are sick.

brigala Explorer

Thanks, Ahorsesoul. I'm feeling a better, but still not eating real food yet. My turkey's in the oven now... don't know whether I'll be able to eat it or not, but I can't let it sit in the cooler forever. At least the rest of the family can enjoy it. :)

I'm coping with gatorade and rice cakes today (Lundberg brand!).

halfrunner Apprentice

Hot applesauce is soo good, but try it nearly frozen, with a consistency like an italian ice. It's even better that way.

Darn210 Enthusiast

No disasters . . . just an eye roll . . .

My dad doesn't like turkey. Neither do my kids. So while my sister baked a turkey, I fried some (gluten free) chicken strips. Dad had my brother get him a second piece. I was feeling quite proud of my chicken as Dad was going for seconds. Then I watched him shred it to pieces and feed it to his dog (from the Thanksgiving table!!!). It was still a compliment as my Dad (who spoils this dog rotten . . . obviously) considered it good enough for the dog.

Pumpkin pie this year . . . I made three, two with crusts and one with no crust - just filling poured into the pie pan. The (crustless) gluten free pie turned out very well. It was the first pie gone. Was eaten by several people that don't need to be gluten free, just don't like crust. I thought it might stick to the pie plate too much but it wasn't bad at all (I used a glass pie plate for what it's worth). Will definitely do this again.

hannahp57 Contributor
Dad had my brother get him a second piece. I was feeling quite proud of my chicken as Dad was going for seconds. Then I watched him shred it to pieces and feed it to his dog (from the Thanksgiving table!!!). It was still a compliment as my Dad (who spoils this dog rotten . . . obviously) considered it good enough for the dog.

sounds an awful lot like my own father :P

Archived