This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Your Tips For Easy Weight Loss?

Lynayah

Lynayah Enthusiast

I am trying sooooo hard to lose weight (the gluten challenge I went through was killer for me, and I gained 15 pounds).

Right now, I'm eating mostly whole foods with an emphasis on meats and low-carb vegetables. I also have a cup of fat-free homemade SCD yogurt every day.

My body just doesn't seem to want to budge, and it's driving me crazy.

I know how to lose weight and keep it off. I used to weigh over 300 pounds . . . lost the weight and successfully kept it off for over 18 years, and now this.

Please, I need as many tips as I can get right now!

HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wolicki Enthusiast

I had the same problem. I was crazy skinny, then BAM here came the weight with gluten-free. I kept gaining and gaining, even though I was eating whole, low cal, grain free and exercising like a dog. My doctor said that my body is just grabbing onto everything, thinking it is going to starve again. So, I started a high intensity kettlebell class 3 weeks ago.

I finally stopped gaining!! Woohoooo! AND, I've lost 4 pounds :D I am even hungrier now, but I feel full very quickly. So, I eat lots of small meals. This was the only thing I could do to get a handle on this crazy body of mine. I hate every second of it, but I feel better. And the weird thing is, I don't crave anything bad for me anymore! Weird. By the way, I went gluten free July 1.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I guess I am a little confused as to why my body seems to want to hold onto weight when I do not have Celiac. (I am highly gluten-intolorant.)

So, if my villi are absorbing nutrients, why does my body still rebel?

I've been gluten-free since Sept and had a lot of D for a couple years prior, so I guess that if my body is reading that I have a toxin in my system, it might still hold on to everything for as long as possible, even if not Celiac?

It is all so confusing to me!

elye Community Regular

Have you had your thyroid checked? A very common symptom of hypothyroidism is a scale reading that won't budge, regardless of how carefully one is eating and how vigorously one is exercising. Add to that the fact that thyroid issues often happen alongside gluten issues, and you may want to explore it if you haven't already.

The only way I can keep weight from creeping on (and the only thing that got me to lose post-pregnancy weight) was, of course, lowering my calorie intake, but more importantly by increasing my calorie burn -- I HAVE TO exercise. If you use more calories than you consume, you will lose weight (again, unless there are thyroid problems present). So, exercise is a mandatory piece of the weight-loss formula for me. :)

freeatlast Collaborator

The Zone way of combining protein, carbs, and small amt. of good fat every time I ate was the only thing that helped me to lose the weight. After going back through my gluten free material from years ago, I found an article by an MD who stated that people with gluten sensitivities do better on a zone type diet, so that confirmed it for me.

Becci Enthusiast
I am trying sooooo hard to lose weight (the gluten challenge I went through was killer for me, and I gained 15 pounds).

Right now, I'm eating mostly whole foods with an emphasis on meats and low-carb vegetables. I also have a cup of fat-free homemade SCD yogurt every day.

I know how to lose weight and keep it off. I used to weigh over 300 pounds . . . lost the weight and successfully kept it off for over 18 years, and now this.

HELP!

I have the same problem... I lost thirty pounds due to Celiac, but I am gaining it back...

I have learned that my problem is caused from Celiac messing with the hormone in my brain that makes me feel full. When I get glutened, it causes the gland to just 'disappear'... I eat and eat and eat, and never feel full. I wind up eating more than I should more times than I should during the day just to satisfy my hunger. I still only weigh 140, but that looks chunky on me (mainly my stomach...) and I am 5'8"... I shouldn't look chunky weighing that at this height... But I cannot stop eating and it all goes to my gut!

I have just tried to control my eating, and know that even though that hormone is screwed, I am already full and need to stop eating.

I try and eat mainly veggies now (fresh) and occasionally meats. But, when I get glutened, I have giant cravings that I HAVE to satisfy. As of now, it is Mrs. Leepers tuna mix.. :(

Just try and control how much you eat daily... Eat veggies only for a while (I lost 10lbs in two weeks this way)... Eating different salad mixtures and other veggies for a while. I didn't even eat low fat dressing, just stayed away from Ranch.

Dang. Now I want a salad. Okay, I am gonna go and make a small caesar salad!!

Hey, I only ate a little cereal this morning..don't judge :P

And today, I am a ninja... Check the icon, yo! :P

ciavyn Contributor

What has worked for me is food journaling and getting back to portion sizes. Painful as it may be, I have used livestrong.com "my plate" for the last six months for my food diary. Too often we eat things without really thinking about what and how we are fitting it into our food intake that day. And I bought a cheap digital scale at WalMart ($20). I began weighing my servings - hummus, potato chips, ice cream, even. You wouldn't believe how wrong you are about what you think is a reasonable serving.

Of course, I've yet to be able to walk away from these tools and use my own judgment. Everytime I try, I end up eating too much or screwing up my portions. So I take the time and do it, and I stay thin (I used to be quite a pudgeball). :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Ditto on using Livestrong.com for the daily plate. Makes you aware of every calorie!

Swimmr Contributor

HELP!

small frequent meals...no carbs after 3 pm...keep red meats at a minimum. Low corn intake as it is also high in carbs.

good exercise routine at least 3 days a week :)

fitday.com is a good way to keep track of things and your calorie/fat/carb/protein intake.

I don't suggest eliminatimg carbs that you may go back to eating again. I don't suggest just eating vegetables for a few days. I suggest eliminating highly processed foods like cakes, cookies...etc. and saving those for a cheat day. Yes a cheat day. It's the only way I have been able to both survive AND get past plateau's where my body says, "nope no more...can't lose any more!"

It's all about moderation :)

missybean Apprentice

HELP!

I lost 30 pounds in 6 to 7 weeks by eating meat,fish,eggs and veggies only. No fruit. After that I started have maybe on piece of fruit a day and 1 day a week I had a cheat day. This was all before I knew I had a issue with gluten. Felt great while doing this diet. I also exercised 5 to 6 days a week...walking/running with restistance training. The restistance training really helped alot. I have a slow metabalism and so I had to really change it up a lot to constantly shock my system. I also highly recommend a food journal, calorie counting......I was doing 1700 calories a day and noticed the scale not moving then I had to lower it to 1600 and then a month later it was down to 1400 so I can really relate to it being hard to lose weight. Then I got pregnant and started eating grains again and was getting sick and realized there was a gluten issue....went gluten free and the weight started packing on. I was four months pregnant and had mantained my weight that far and then after going gluten free for 2 months I had packed on 20 pounds! Something about carbs and grains for me......my body can't tolerate them...even gluten free grains. I try my hardest to avoid gluten free breads and such but it is hard....I'm hungry contantly. I'm wondering what will happen after I have the baby. Will my body hang on to weight? Or will it be easy to lose? Hopefully it will come off fast. I will be journally and calorie counting and eating low carb. I know it has worked in the past. Keeping my fingers crossed. I also found if you are going to exercise....join an on line support group like beachbody.com, you can enter in your daily exercise and even win contests.Good luck!

Lynayah Enthusiast
I lost 30 pounds in 6 to 7 weeks by eating meat,fish,eggs and veggies only. No fruit. After that I started have maybe on piece of fruit a day and 1 day a week I had a cheat day. This was all before I knew I had a issue with gluten. Felt great while doing this diet. I also exercised 5 to 6 days a week...walking/running with restistance training. The restistance training really helped alot. I have a slow metabalism and so I had to really change it up a lot to constantly shock my system. I also highly recommend a food journal, calorie counting......I was doing 1700 calories a day and noticed the scale not moving then I had to lower it to 1600 and then a month later it was down to 1400 so I can really relate to it being hard to lose weight. Then I got pregnant and started eating grains again and was getting sick and realized there was a gluten issue....went gluten free and the weight started packing on. I was four months pregnant and had mantained my weight that far and then after going gluten free for 2 months I had packed on 20 pounds! Something about carbs and grains for me......my body can't tolerate them...even gluten free grains. I try my hardest to avoid gluten free breads and such but it is hard....I'm hungry contantly. I'm wondering what will happen after I have the baby. Will my body hang on to weight? Or will it be easy to lose? Hopefully it will come off fast. I will be journally and calorie counting and eating low carb. I know it has worked in the past. Keeping my fingers crossed. I also found if you are going to exercise....join an on line support group like beachbody.com, you can enter in your daily exercise and even win contests.Good luck!

Good post - I'll be interested to hear how the weight loss goes after pregnancy. It sounds as though you're very dedicated and up on things -- I bet it will go very well for you.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Are you getting enough to eat? (Probably in the 1500-2000calorie range, but depends on your weight/body type.) And

Are you getting enough exercise? I was never able to healthfully lose weight without steady exercise - it makes it slower, but more consistent and "easier" to maintain. (So, I'm not counting the 5lb loss during a really bad flu type of thing. That's never good - it all comes *RIGHT* back.)

Are you giving it enough time? You may not see results for the first week, or two, or three. It may take some time for it to stabilize, realize what's going on, and move in the direction you want. Don't give up!

While it is really "just" about the balance of calories eaten and calories burned, it's vital to remember that calories burned is a HIGHLY variable thing - person to person, day to day, etc. (Not to mention that recording calories eaten is incomplete science as well - foods vary, even whole, natural foods.)

Lynayah Enthusiast

These are all such great tips . . . and I've been inspired to exercise more.

Right now, I'm going to concentrate less on animal protein and more on fruits, vegetables, legumes as the main part of my diet, with limited animal meats. That way, I can pack as much nutrition and foods-that-fill-me-up into each meal as possible.

I'll also stay with one cup a day of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet 24-hour yogurt (which I can eat even though I try not to eat/drink other dairy). It seems to be helping me heal.

Calories: 1,500 a day.

You get A LOT of fruit, vegetables and beans for that amount. A whole food approach, with a lot of clean food has always worked best for me -- that is how I lost all the weight so many years ago. Except then, I used to enjoy Natural Ovens Bread, Wasa Crackers or corn tortillas every day. They really helped me get through the day. Other than that, I cut other refined foods to almost zero.

I am re-reading a wonderful book, EAT TO LIVE by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Wheat aside, the techniques in this book worked for me in the 90's (of course, I was doing this long before the book was published - eating whole foods for a healthy weight is nothing new -- it is as old as man). Anyway, if it worked for me then, I believe it will work for me now.

The only difference will be that this time I will have to do it gluten-free, which is actually a blessing since processed foods slow me down anyway! Maybe I'll find a good gluten free corn tortilla somewhere -- a little guilty pleasure can be nice once in a while. I've tried to make them on my own and made a laughable mess of it all!

EAT TO LIVE promotes no wheat (or, for those who can eat it, wheat in moderation), so it is a good fit for me.

Still, even with that (I've been doing this for a few days ), my body still seems stuck right now. When I make a change such as this, I used to always feel the difference as soon as the next day. Maybe no weight loss that soon, but my body would feel so much better that I knew I was headed in the right direction.

You know what I mean? Does your body usually talk to you this way, too?

Now, I feel sluggish and heavy . . . and I am UP a quarter pound since yesterday! Although, truth be told, I had a small bit of dehydrated onion yesterday, and I am not 100% sure it was gluten free -- tummy rumbling and joint pain yesterday, loose stools this morning, so that could be the cause of the weight and sluggishness.

I also need to cut back on wine on the weekend. (Or perhaps that should be cut back on whine!)

AUGHHHHHHH!

I know it will all work out; you have all given me hope.

Next doctor appointment, I will also ask for a thyroid test.

Like most, I want the weight off yesterday. I feel as though all I am doing these days is giving up things. All I want in return is my weight to go in a positive direction. I need so badly to see and feel it happening.

I know, I know . . . I have to remind myself that even if I lose a half to one pound a week, I'll be headed in the right direction. My body is healing, that's what is important.

Heck, even if I am just maintaining, I am eating healthier and giving my body what it needs.

Yes, I really need to put exercise first no matter what. Thank you all for reminding me.

I used to walk four miles a day, and I don't even come close to that now. Frankly, I don't want to. I'm not in the groove. I need to work up to it.

I'm thinking that if I can do at least 15 min. on my exercise bike every day (more if I want -- which usually happens once I've done 15 min.), I will at least get back into the habit of exercising daily . . . that's how I began when I needed to lose over 100 -- one block a day until I slowly increased to more.

Yes, all of you are right on! You've reminded me about the importance of getting back to the basics . . . and the importance of being patient with myself.

After all, every step in the right direction is . . . well . . . a step in the right direction!

Hugs to you all!

ciavyn Contributor

You will do it! You have a great attitude, and you are willing to modify your behavior and habits - that is half the battle. My girlfriend just lost 80 lbs, and everyone we know asks, "How did you do it?" or "What did you use?" She said to me one day, "I have no idea what to tell people." And I told her to tell them the truth. Her secret: eat less, move more. You wouldn't believe the negative responses she gets to that answer. And she's not rude or even being obnoxious - she says it very sweetly and quietly, usually in an embarrassed tone. And the offense level is truly remarkable. Why? Because we like our habits and don't want to have to change. (Assuming it is not a health related issues, of course.) You are already willing to do what it takes. THAT is half the battle.

You may want to try taking a class at your local Y or gym - it keeps me SO accountable. Even when I'm tired, I go. The only thing that kept me away was during the last weeks before I went gluten free...=) Then, I had a real excuse! But no more. And I LOVE it now that I've gotten used to it. I chose kickboxing, as I love to burn a lot of calories at once, and beat an imaginary enemy into the ground! :lol:

Keep us posted on how you are doing - I can't wait to cheer your success! :)

Erin Elberson Newbie

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Exercise and general activity are key, as you know.

I am curious though-how do you know you are getting 1500 calories? Are you weighing everything you eat? I ask because it is very common for measuring (with cups and spoons) to be inaccurate, and you may be getting several hundred calories more than you think inadvertently. That could certainly slow your progress.

Keep up the great attitude!

Lynayah Enthusiast
Sounds like you are on the right track!

Exercise and general activity are key, as you know.

I am curious though-how do you know you are getting 1500 calories? Are you weighing everything you eat? I ask because it is very common for measuring (with cups and spoons) to be inaccurate, and you may be getting several hundred calories more than you think inadvertently. That could certainly slow your progress.

Keep up the great attitude!

Thank you!

Yes, weigh and measure, that's the only true way to tell. Even low carb vegetables add up after a while.

What I find interesting is that, a lot of times, I actually get MORE food than I thought I would get. Without weighing, it is almost as easy to underestimate as it is to overestimate!

I just love it when I get more food.

Keeping a journal is important too, although I really hate doing it.

That said, once my body readjusts, I will be able to listen to my body and know when to eat as well as when to stop -- however, for me, this is true only on days when I eat clean foods. I used to be able to have a few slices of whole wheat bread back in the day, but I suspect that I'll be able to stop measuring and weighing ONLY when I eat strictly low-carb vegetables, fresh fruit and legumes in a day.

But I'm not there yet. I need to give myself time for my body to establish an honest whole-food balance.

Erin Elberson Newbie
Thank you!

Yes, weigh and measure, that's the only true way to tell. Even low carb vegetables add up after a while.

What I find interesting is that, a lot of times, I actually get MORE food than I thought I would get. Without weighing, it is almost as easy to underestimate as it is to overestimate!

I just love it when I get more food.

Keeping a journal is important too, although I really hate doing it.

That said, once my body readjusts, I will be able to listen to my body and know when to eat as well as when to stop -- however, for me, this is true only on days when I eat clean foods. I used to be able to have a few slices of whole wheat bread back in the day, but I suspect that I'll be able to stop measuring and weighing ONLY when I eat strictly low-carb vegetables, fresh fruit and legumes in a day.

But I'm not there yet. I need to give myself time for my body to establish an honest whole-food balance.

You have a great outlook!

Weighing is a great tool and I prefer it over measuring completely-just more accurate. And it does give you a good sense of portion, so when the day comes that you are at a weight you would like to maintain, it will be easier to "eyeball" if you like. But while you are actively losing, weighing and a food journal is the way to go!

Oh-I almost forgot the original question was tips for "easy" weight loss-unfortunately I think the honest answer is that losing fat is never easy. Being hungry is a part of it-you are intentionally feeding your body less than it requires to stay the same. I think recognizing hunger is OK-and realizing that if you stick to your plan and lose the fat, that someday the dieting will be over, you will have met your goal, and then you can eat at maintenance and you won't be hungry any more. But I think you already realize that ;)

Lynayah Enthusiast
You have a great outlook!

Weighing is a great tool and I prefer it over measuring completely-just more accurate. And it does give you a good sense of portion, so when the day comes that you are at a weight you would like to maintain, it will be easier to "eyeball" if you like. But while you are actively losing, weighing and a food journal is the way to go!

Oh-I almost forgot the original question was tips for "easy" weight loss-unfortunately I think the honest answer is that losing fat is never easy. Being hungry is a part of it-you are intentionally feeding your body less than it requires to stay the same. I think recognizing hunger is OK-and realizing that if you stick to your plan and lose the fat, that someday the dieting will be over, you will have met your goal, and then you can eat at maintenance and you won't be hungry any more. But I think you already realize that ;)

Thank you for your excellent post.

Here's the thing: Right now, the hunger for me is higher than I have known in many, many years.

Here is an interesting note: I just had my Gliadin re-tested, and I am higher now than when I finished the gluten challenge, despite my being gluten-free. I have a post about it here and would welcome comments from those who have been there: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=64449

I cannot help but wonder if the continued high Gliadin is part of my problem. My body continues to manufacture Gliadin because it does not yet understand that is it safe from gluten. In the meantime, the gluten reaction is causing me to crave food because my body does not yet read that I'm on the other side of things, and it thinks I need more food (nutrients) than I really do.

I had my blood sugar tested a few months back, and it is fine.

I am absorbing nutrients now, too, thank goodness. I had good bloodwork results that showed everything is well. Hence my thinking that the high Glidadin may be the issue.

Today was particularly challenging. I've been eating whole foods only, and around noon today, I became so incredibly hungry that I wanted to kill for anything and everything I could get my hands on. This after having had a high-nutrition breakfast (400 calories with a good balance of protein, vegetables and fruit) and a high-nutrition mid-morning snack (an apple and almond milk), yet I bottomed-out with no willpower whatsoever. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!

Has anyone out there ever been on steroids? Do you know what the uncontrollable hunger feels like when on steroids? It is very challenging.

Well, this is like steroids times ten. It is very, very, VERY hard to keep from eating like crazy, even for someone like me who understands nutrition and understands how to take weight off and keep it off.

I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. I KNOW MY BODY. Sadly, common sense and doing the right thing is working against me right now. Crazy things are happening with my body, and I am having a very tough time wrapping my head around it.

Still, I'm sticking to eating right and working out. I'm NOT GIVING UP, despite my wanting to eat my house.

Damn, this is so hard.

MagpieWrites Rookie

Hope this is okay to add - one huge difference in my weight since I was diagnosed comes from (I think) the fact that I pretty much have to scratch make everything I eat. From the biggies when dealing with gluten like bread to the simpler things like soup it all has had to be made start to finish at home. I just buy/cook with whole ingredients - no mixes, premades, sauces, etc. It forces me to

A) really THINK about whether or not I want to eat something (if it no longer is the simple matter of popping the top off the can of Campbell's tomato soup and tossing it in a pan for 5 minutes with some water - but instead a 45 minute slog through cutting up produce, digging out of the basement freezer the homemade stock, stirring and waiting... I learned REAL quick when I was really hungry and when I was just bored!) - this works especially with pasta (which I'll confess to thinking the dried bagged stuff tastes kinda rotten anyway) and other carbs. I eat a LOT less pasta if I know I'm not just dumping a bag into boiling water but instead getting myself committed to the work of making, preparing, and than cleaning up after to eat it! I do eat it - but I'm far more mindful of how much and how often.

B ) Make choices each step of the way over what I'm adding to the pot - does it really REALLY need that extra butter, or can I let it simmer a few more minutes to tighten up without the extra calories.

C) It keeps all the nasty "extras" that so many companies use to make foods taste "just like 'Normal' food does"! No HFCS. No weird fats. No chemicals I can't spell/pronounce/or figure out how the heck they make it! I have been reading reams and reams of material this year about food, diet, and what all we shove into our bodies. While I'm not the type to stand on the street corner screeching "COKE is the end of the world! Nutritionally Repent Your Sins!" (mainly because dark chocolate and the odd diet soda are sometimes all that stands between myself and insanity) I DO think our poor bodies just aren't cut out to handle all this weird assorted schtuff companies have convinced us to shove down our gullets. I think a huge reason so many folks have trouble losing weight (like myself) is when our system doesn't recognize as real food it just tosses it into the corners (butt, thighs, belly) until it figures out what the heck its supposed to DO with it all. Rather like my husband saving random keys and small computer parts "in case it turns out to be important, you can't throw it away".

It IS more work, and I'm in the lucky position of working from home and it being - as yet - just my husband and I to cook for. I'm really lucky that I'm able to learn how to do all this while we wait to expand our family. I really hope no one reads this and thinks I'm knocking folks for not making it all from scratch. I have the time, the stubborness (possibly the insanity) and frankly I'm too dratted cheap to do otherwise. I can do many many complicated tasks.... knit, change the oil in my car, smile while in the same room as my mother in law - but pay $3.89 for a single can of gluten-free soup? Can't do it. Tried. Failed.

But sticking to the scratch idea, running, and trying to eat only real food HAS helped me (and my husband). I've lost almost 60 in the last year (25 of that I'm sure is due to me being seriously ill this fall - but the rest is the work) and my husband who eats gluten-free at home and 4 days outta 5 at work (I pack his meals) has dropped about 30 himself despite not having celiac and often eating differently while out without me.

Beyond all THAT nattering? You can do this. You figured out what was wrong with your body when you went gluten free. You'll beat the weight too. Just don't get discouraged and don't beat yourself up. :D

Erin Elberson Newbie

Magpie-those are all great points :)

Lyn-I do think the gliadin issue is making it tough for you. The gut does affect hormone levels, as do fat stores. The hormone leptin, which is what helps you feel satisfied, can be an issue in some people. I am trying to find some research that I can access (for free-most of them you have to pay for the full text.) to help explain the relationship between gliadin, gut permability and leptin levels and/or leptin resistance. This would help explain why you're feeling the way you are, but unfortunately would not change it.

I have no doubt that you feel ravenous. I don't know your current protein levels, but you may want to consider eating 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Protein intake has been shown to help improve satiety. Load up on those salad greens! And try to distract yourself as much as possible if hunger hits and it's not time to have a meal. Chew peppermint gum, have some tea, work on a project, go for a walk.

You can do this! You have the knowledge and mindset and that's half the battle.

Lynayah Enthusiast
Magpie-those are all great points :)

Lyn-I do think the Gliadin issue is making it tough for you. The gut does affect hormone levels, as do fat stores. The hormone leptin, which is what helps you feel satisfied, can be an issue in some people. I am trying to find some research that I can access (for free-most of them you have to pay for the full text.) to help explain the relationship between Gliadin, gut permeability and leptin levels and/or leptin resistance. This would help explain why you're feeling the way you are, but unfortunately would not change it.

I have no doubt that you feel ravenous. I don't know your current protein levels, but you may want to consider eating 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Protein intake has been shown to help improve satiety. Load up on those salad greens! And try to distract yourself as much as possible if hunger hits and it's not time to have a meal. Chew peppermint gum, have some tea, work on a project, go for a walk.

You can do this! You have the knowledge and mindset and that's half the battle.

Erin, I love you! You totally get it, and I cannot thank you enough for your very wise comments.

I am anxiously awaiting any info you tap into. I am in the process of searching as well -- I believe that everything happens for a reason, and maybe what I will learn might someday help others.

I agree with you about salad greens. For a while now, I have even been making a Vita-Mix "green smoothie" with things like bok choy, pineapple, apple, carrots, chia seed, baby greens or cabbage -- whatever I have on hand that is very high in nutrients. Oh my gosh, it looks HORRIFIC when I blend it -- baby poop soup! <LOL!> But it tastes okay if I close my eyes!

I know the above paragraph might sound yucky to some, but I am used to whole foods and combinations such as these taste good to me right now. My body needs as much high-nutrition as it can get.

Anyway, you are right: greens are very satisfying -- maybe not very much fun (ONION RINGS ARE FUN, PIZZA IS FUN), but greens, as boring as they may be, are surprisingly satisfying. My body feels so good after eating a good portion of them. Protein is important too (thankfully there is quite a bit of it in the greens), and I try to have some every time I eat. Legumes in particular are a best friend.

Here is an update: My doctor has ordered a CBC, kidney function check and thyroid check -- all in blood work -- I will go in tomorrow for the draw.

Again, thank you for understanding, REALLY UNDERSTANDING. You are an angel on my shoulder. Much appreciated.

Lynayah Enthusiast

PS: I am also learning that I need to be VERY STRICT in eating whole foods at about three hour intervals.

When I bottomed out yesterday, I did not eat continually throughout the day. Today, I ate every three hours, and I was much better with my hunger level. How nice it is not to want to kill for food!

Anyway, for me, it is best not to allow myself to get too hungry. As I always say, "deprivation isn't cool." :)

Thanks again.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Another PS to Erin: Protein level -- I have my Gliadin level, if that helps. It is 88.

Erin Elberson Newbie

Lyn,

I am so glad that I've been able to help in some small way. :)

Your smoothie sounds great-just be careful with the pineapple as it can be calorically dense, and be sure to count that and the aaple in your daily totals. And honestly, you may find it more satisfying if you chew it rather than drink it. And it will take longer to eat!! You could make an awesome salad with those ingredients...(and make sure to be counting the chia seeds too!)

It's good that your doc is checking your levels.

I found one study so far that simply confirms the presence of leptin receptors in the gut-need to do more digging :)

Free full text Open Original Shared Link

And I am the same way, I need to eat small meals every 2.5-3 hours or I am running for food. Everyone is different in that regard, but do what helps! So always pre-plan and have a healthy option with you so you don't inhale a metric to of almonds ;)

Keep me posted!

Lynayah Enthusiast
Lyn,

I am so glad that I've been able to help in some small way. :)

Your smoothie sounds great-just be careful with the pineapple as it can be calorically dense, and be sure to count that and the ample in your daily totals. And honestly, you may find it more satisfying if you chew it rather than drink it. And it will take longer to eat!! You could make an awesome salad with those ingredients...(and make sure to be counting the chia seeds too!)

It's good that your doc is checking your levels.

I found one study so far that simply confirms the presence of leptin receptors in the gut-need to do more digging :)

Free full text Open Original Shared Link

And I am the same way, I need to eat small meals every 2.5-3 hours or I am running for food. Everyone is different in that regard, but do what helps! So always pre-plan and have a healthy option with you so you don't inhale a metric to of almonds ;)

Keep me posted!

Thanks so much.

I intentionally juice in Vita-Mix for better GI absorption -- there some excellent info on this in a book entitled Eat for Life by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Interesting stuff in there! When I follow the instruction on making a smoothie with a lot of greens, I really does wonders in getting enough green protein in and helping me get through the day. Pineapple juice (1/4 cup only) and a small apple gives it enough sweetness to make it palatable. Otherwise, as advanced as my whole-foods taste may be, yuck.

Then later, or throughout the day, I

Archived