Rate this topic

Do you have a reaction to Chex cereals?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a gluten-like reaction to ANY of the "Gluten Free" Chex cereals?

• NO - I eat them regularly and have no reaction
    • NO - I eat them occasionally and have no reaction
    • YES - I eat them sometimes but sometimes I think I get a reaction.
    • YES - I no longer eat them because I get a very clear reaction.

I'm just curious to know how many of us are doing fine with CHEX and how many of us aren't. I made 4 options for the poll because there is a little grey area.

I have not had any problem whatsoever with any of the Chex cereals, although occasionally I do have problems from putting milk on them. If I use almond milk I can eat them all day long with no adverse reaction. I've eaten the corn, rice, strawberry, chocolate, honey nut, and cinnamon varieties successfully.

Then again, in the early days before I realized Rice Krispies wasn't gluten-free, I didn't feel a reaction to those, either. So I'm not a very good gauge.

I think there are too many people having reactions to ignore them. I wonder how frequent it is. Is there an ingredient in them that maybe has some sort of denatured gluten in it, that some people react to and not others? Like how some people react to soy sauce and others don't?

-Elizabeth

I only eat the Rice Chex so I can only answer about those. I only eat them at most once a week and have had no issues. I don't know if I would react if I did an actual challenge with them, ie. ate them everyday for a week or so.

I have eaten Rice Chex with no issues. Honey nut and chocolate chex however have made me feel sick. i havent gotten sick but have felt nauseous after eating them and had an upset stomach the rest of the day

We eat reg Rice Chex and Cinnamon Chex with no problems to date :)

I eat the Corn Chex and Honey Nut Chex dry out of the bag for a snack and haven't experienced any problems with them. Yet. B)

I eat rice chex 2 or 3 times a week and haven't had any issues. Honey nut chex bothers me, but I don't think its a gluten issue, honey nut flavored things often bother me-which is odd since I can eat honey roasted nuts all day long and have no problems???

I haven 't had a glutening since I've gone gluten free (to my knowledge at least), so I'm not sure if people really can tell a glutening from just something that didn't sit right. But, certain foods for no apparent rhyme or reason just don't sit right. Before I knew I had celiac, I was a big cherrios eater. I never had any problems with cherrios, but I couldn't eat honey nut cherrios without getting a sour stomach. I don't think it was a celiac issue, or the regular would have bothered me also. I've had similar experiences with granola bars. Some granola bars are just fine, while other flavors of the same brand give me a sour stomach.

On my box the ingredients are: Rice, whole grain rice, sugar, salt, molasses, vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) and BHT added to preserve freshness

Then they list the vitamins and minerals: calcium carbonate, iron and zinc (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), A B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), vitamin A (palmitate), A B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin B12, Vitamin D

It doesn't say anything about shared facility or shard equipment, but I'm not sure if they have to or not-granted that would only tell for wheat, but they do make wheat chex.

I've tried all the kinds except strawberry, which I can't find, and have no problems with them! I love that stuff! Oh, and my mother in law made an AMAZING gluten-free Chex mix for me over Thanksgiving. I'll get the recipe from her and pass it along.

I eat rice chex 2 or 3 times a week and haven't had any issues. Honey nut chex bothers me, but I don't think its a gluten issue, honey nut flavored things often bother me-which is odd since I can eat honey roasted nuts all day long and have no problems???

I haven 't had a glutening since I've gone gluten free (to my knowledge at least), so I'm not sure if people really can tell a glutening from just something that didn't sit right. But, certain foods for no apparent rhyme or reason just don't sit right. Before I knew I had celiac, I was a big cherrios eater. I never had any problems with cherrios, but I couldn't eat honey nut cherrios without getting a sour stomach. I don't think it was a celiac issue, or the regular would have bothered me also. I've had similar experiences with granola bars. Some granola bars are just fine, while other flavors of the same brand give me a sour stomach.

On my box the ingredients are: Rice, whole grain rice, sugar, salt, molasses, vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) and BHT added to preserve freshness

Then they list the vitamins and minerals: calcium carbonate, iron and zinc (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), A B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), vitamin A (palmitate), A B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin B12, Vitamin D

It doesn't say anything about shared facility or shard equipment, but I'm not sure if they have to or not-granted that would only tell for wheat, but they do make wheat chex.

Chex ingredients: I remember reading somewhere that tocopherols sometimes have a, I believe it was, wheat germ oil base -- let me know if I am wrong.

Thank you for the voting and comments, folks. I think it's really helpful to get a handle on what we're dealing with here.

We don't have a lot of numbers yet, but so far it looks like twice as many people are OK with chex as are having problems. But that's still a pretty significant group of people having problems. Maybe after this poll runs a bit longer it might be helpful to contact General Mills with the information.

-Elizabeth

Thank you for the voting and comments, folks. I think it's really helpful to get a handle on what we're dealing with here.

We don't have a lot of numbers yet, but so far it looks like twice as many people are OK with chex as are having problems. But that's still a pretty significant group of people having problems. Maybe after this poll runs a bit longer it might be helpful to contact General Mills with the information.

-Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for caring about this issue!

-Elizabeth

I don't know what would be accomplished by contacting the company with the results. There is such a high degree of variability in the sensitivity of folks with celiac and so many of us have other intolerances that we may or may not be aware exist especially in the beginning. I do think contacting them to find out the source of the Vitamin E is a good idea but there are a number of sources for it and some celiacs are not going to react to vitamin E even if it is wheat derived. I am glad companies are now making gluten free products that are safe for most of us to consume and letting us know so. For supersensitive celiacs the safest way for them to eat, at least till they heal is to consume whole unprocessed foods. IMHO there are always going to be risks with processed foods especially early in on the diet. I would hate to see companies getting so paranoid that they start removing the label from something that many of us can eat safely.