This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sibling With Cd?

Guest taweavmo3

Guest taweavmo3

When did you all start noticing symptoms of celiac in your children??? When Emmie tested positive, I asked my pedi GI if I should have my other children tested. He first asked if they had any symptoms, and I told him that my baby seemed fine (10mo at the time) and that my 6 year old just had a rash on his elbows and knees, no GI symptoms at all and is healthy as can be. He didn't seem to think tests were necessary unless they become symptomatic. (this is questionable I think)

Well, now I'm thinking the baby may have it. Back in January, he was in the hospital for vomiting/diarrhea when he was 9mo. The ped didn't do a stool test b/c he was "positive" it was rotovirus. This episode happened after I fed him his first pasta. I'm sure it wasn't related, and probably was rotavirus, but it just has me wondering. Now, he is 13mo, and is following my daughter's exact pattern, but a bit more severe. We tried milk, but he broke out in a rash all over and had diarrhea. So, he's now on soy. He poops at least 5-6 times a day, sometimes it is very loose. His belly is hard as a rock, he's thinning out.....and he's very tempermental. Sound familiar??? LOL. I just started a food diary for the pediatrician, so he won't think I'm overeacting. I've been down that road before, and really don't want to go down it again.

I didn't notice anything different with my daughter until about 18mo, but maybe it was because I didn't know what to look out for.

How soon can he be tested??? I feel like I'm being a neurotic mother, thinking something is wrong with all my children. How likely is it that siblings will also have celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

celiac disease experts say ALL first-degree relatives should be tested even if they don't have symptoms. This means sibling and parents. My 70-year-old father had virtually no symptoms but was positive on everything.

However, according to everything I've read, your 13-month-old is too young to be tested with a high degree of accuracy. He needs to be something like 20 to 24 months.

richard

mommida Enthusiast

The last statistic I read was a first degree relative of a celiac disease individual has a 1 in 10 chance of having celiac disease.

Like Richard posted, tests are not very accurate for a patient in you child's age range. Every first degree relative should be screened. Consult another Ped. Gastro.

Laura

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, all blood relatives should be tested because this is genetic. Many people don't have symptoms but should still be tested.

I heard if a child is less than 24 months the test can be inaccurate.

The doctor you are seeing now that says only if you have symptoms should be tested...well thats bogus...these kind of doctors can miss a diagnosis because of that.

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I want to suggest that the rash on your son's elbows and knees could also be a sign of celiac disease. You should have him tested as well.

Archived