This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sores In Mouth - Symptom Of Gluten-intolorance As Well As Celiac?

Lynayah

Lynayah Enthusiast

Hi, Everyone,

For those of you who have been following my threads (or for those I have yet to meet), I have been diagnosed highly gluten-sensitive, non-Celiac. Gene tests (DQ 2 and 8), and biopsy negative.

Something haunts me, though. For nearly 10 years, I had reoccuring sores in my mouth -- slits that would appear out of nowhere and hurt like heck. Thay are gone now, thanks to eating gluten-free.

My question: Are sores in the mouth a symptom of gluten-intolorance as well as Celiac . . . or Celiac only?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nasalady Contributor
For those of you who have been following my threads (or for those I have yet to meet), I have been diagnosed highly gluten-sensitive, non-Celiac. Gene tests (DQ 2 and 8), and biopsy negative.

Something haunts me, though. For nearly 10 years, I had reoccuring sores in my mouth -- slits that would appear out of nowhere and hurt like heck. Thay are gone now, thanks to eating gluten-free.

My question: Are sores in the mouth a symptom of gluten-intolorance as well as Celiac . . . or Celiac only?

Hi Lynayah,

I asked the same question several months ago....were all of the same symptoms experienced by those with celiac disease and with non-celiac gluten intolerance? The answer I got was "yes". There is no way to differentiate the two disorders based on symptoms.

It sure would be nice though, wouldn't it?!? :)

BTW, I'm one of those radicals who think that NCGI and celiac disease are the same thing; that maybe NCGI is an earlier stage or something.

There are LOTS of people here who agree, and there are LOTS of people here who disagree. :)

Take care,

JoAnn

ravenwoodglass Mentor
BTW, I'm one of those radicals who think that NCGI and celiac disease are the same thing; that maybe NCGI is an earlier stage or something.

There are LOTS of people here who agree, and there are LOTS of people here who disagree. :)

Take care,

JoAnn

I am one who agrees. With the high rate of false negatives in testing I really don't think even the doctors can say with certainty that they are not one and the same. There are also more than just DQ2 or DQ8 involved with celiac, in the US 7 more genes have been recently acknowledged and if you look into research in other countries some of them have been recognized for quite a while. My gene, DQ9 is an example. It is rarely found in the caucasian population and here is considered a gene for RA by most doctors but is considered a celiac related gene in other countries. IMHO to much emphasis is placed on trying to catagorize us as either NCGI or celiac. It is not like folks that are considered 'just' intolerant are not doing damage or have to be less strict.

Nancym Enthusiast

I used to get canker sores a lot. Started as a kid, continued into adulthood but not as frequently. AFAIK I am gluten intolerant, none of my testing for celiac came back positive but I didn't test until after I went gluten-free.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Interestsing! Thank you for the replies.

rueyn Apprentice

Perfect timing on your question! I'm NCGI, and I used to get those sores a LOT throughout childhood and into adulthood. I hadn't had one in over a year, but despite being gluten-free since May I had one pop up a few days ago. Since I know I haven't been glutened I'm 99.9% sure that it's not related to gluten, but rather stress (thanks, holiday season!).

That's my 2c :)

Lisa Mentor

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf-soph Apprentice

Hi

I had recurring mouth ulcers all my life before I went gluten free, they came and went at different times seemingly without a pattern, but dissappeared completely within 2 weeks of going gluten free. I am NCGI as well.

Interestingly, they reappeared a couple of times after being glutened, with the gluten exposure being confirmed by raised blood tests. So not only are they a part of my gluten problems, but they are the first distinct indicator of gluten exposure for me. No idea why!

Sophie

• 3 weeks later...
BigDogz Explorer

I really don't know if I'm NCGI or Celiac since I had already gone gluten-free on my own and was unable to complete the 6 week gluten challenge needed for a colonoscopy and/or bloodwork. I made it only 12 days back on gluten and had such horrible diarrhea and felt so wretched that I refused to continue and went back to being gluten-free. As far as I'm concerned the NCGI vs. Celiac is just semantics. IMHO, NCGI is just Celiac caught "early", i.e. before the villous damage can be done. I consider myself a Celiac and when I need to explain my dietary needs, I tell friends, family, servers, etc. that I'm a Celiac. Sure saves a lot of confusion.

Like the other posters, I'd had canker sores on a semi-frequent basis since I was a child but I noticed that it got REALLY bad for the year before I went gluten-free. Not only did I have ulcers that were huge and deep but they took forever to heal. In fact, I'd barely get one healed up before the next one broke out and it wasn't unusual for me to have more than one at a time. And talk about painful!!!

I've been gluten-free since May '09 and I've had just one very small ulcer since then...and it was after getting inadvertently glutened. Come to think of it, my gums used to bleed horribly after brushing my teeth but they haven't been doing that since going gluten-free!

Eric-C Enthusiast

As the years wore on I got canker sores twice a year, at the season changes, along with the flu or a cold.

Since going gluten-free, not a single one or a hint of one.

ktnhsv Newbie

I was reading last night about too much Candida can cause mouth ulcers/sores. Read up on it if you haven't. Do you take a probiotic?

Lynayah Enthusiast

I, too, have had great luck with the sores going away! The only time one will pop up is when I accidentally gluten myself.

Chell Newbie

This is something I need to share with my mother. Just today she was complaining about the sores in her mouth. I keep trying to get her to get tested because she has so many symptoms.

How long after going gluten-free did it take for your sores to start healing? I'd like to have something to tell her that she could look forward to as far as a time-frame. I keep telling her how important it is to find out for certain if she has this and how important it is for her to go gluten-free but she doesn't get it. I keep telling her how much better I'm feeling now. I don't know how to get through to her.

gf-soph Apprentice
This is something I need to share with my mother. Just today she was complaining about the sores in her mouth. I keep trying to get her to get tested because she has so many symptoms.

How long after going gluten-free did it take for your sores to start healing? I'd like to have something to tell her that she could look forward to as far as a time-frame. I keep telling her how important it is to find out for certain if she has this and how important it is for her to go gluten-free but she doesn't get it. I keep telling her how much better I'm feeling now. I don't know how to get through to her.

My mouth ulcers took 1-2 weeks maximum to heal after going gluten free. When I was accidentally glutened I had a flair-up of multiple ulcers coming up at once, but they healed pretty quickly (before going gluten-free they would take weeks to heal even with treatment).

It may take longer for others depending on their general health, but it was quick for me.

Good luck for your mum :)

Lynayah Enthusiast

For me, they went away the minute I went gluten free. Merry Christmas!

Hugs,

Lyn

Chell Newbie
My mouth ulcers took 1-2 weeks maximum to heal after going gluten free. When I was accidentally glutened I had a flair-up of multiple ulcers coming up at once, but they healed pretty quickly (before going gluten-free they would take weeks to heal even with treatment).

It may take longer for others depending on their general health, but it was quick for me.

Good luck for your mum :)

Thank you!

Chell Newbie
For me, they went away the minute I went gluten free. Merry Christmas!

Hugs,

Lyn

Thanks Lyn! Merry Christmas to you!!!

Archived