kayo

Enterolab Results, A Bit Confused On The Gene Info

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I got my test results from Enterolab and would love to hear your take on the gene info which I'm finding a bit hard to understand. I think this means I'm negative for celiac but positive for gluten intolerance? If so that will be a relief. I was really worried about the celiac possibility. (I already have RA)

Also I'm shocked at the soy results. I had no idea I had issues with soy. :o I just did the test to be comprehensive. Since I'm lactose intolerant I use soymilk in everything. I just got to the point where I have vetted all my food for gluten and now I have to start all over again and check for soy. I'm so deflated! and exhausted!

At the same time I'm glad to see the tests do show a gluten insensitivity. If I had gone by the one (wrong) blood test result (negative) my doc took I'd be eating gluten today. I'm glad I stuck with the gluten free diet.

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 14 Units

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 5 Units

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: Less than 300 Units

Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA: 9 Units

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0402

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,4 (Subtype 5,4)

Fecal Anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA: 7 Units

Fecal Anti-saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA: 5 Units

Fecal Anti-soy IgA: 18 Units

Thank you :)

I think you're right..it looks like you DO have a gluten sensitivity, hence the elevated antigliadin levels. However, you don't carry the celiac gene and your Anti-tissue Transglutaminase levels are NOT elevated, meaning you do not have celiac. (as far as I understand!)

Isn't that awful to be lactose intolerant and have a sensitivity to soy? I suspect I have a problem with soy, I'll be getting tested in the next few months hopefully. I'm also lactose intolerant, but I can tolerate a single serving of dairy a day, thankfully!

Hope you feel better soon, now that you know soy is a problem!

Janie

The elimination of soy will get easier. I was overwhelmed at first too but once I removed soy, I finally felt better! I have eliminated ALL soy such as soybean oil, soy lecithin anything soy! Sprectrum makes a good canola mayonnaise and Earth Balance has an awesome soy free butter spread that you can find at most health food stores now. I make my own salad dressings ect. You will find some info on the web that those with an allergy to soy can do soy lecithin and soybean oil but I am thinking that doesn't hold true to an intolerance. I get hives on my face with anything that has soybean oil. I'm hoping I can tolerate soy lecithin in the future (doesn't contain the soy protein) so that I can add some gluten free chocolate back in. Right now I do the enjoy life soyfree, dairyfree, & gluten free chocolate chips and candy bars, they are pretty good.

I am also lactose intolerant but can handle a little butter and hard cheeses as long as I don't over do it in one sitting.

I don't know much about gluten sensitive genes but others will help with that. Glad you have answers that will help you on the road to healing!

Thank you both for your responses - they mean a lot to me. It's nice to have 'company'!

It's funny, I was fully prepared for gluten intolerance or celiac results but not the soy intolerance. If I remember correctly the soy test was lumped in with eggs and yeast. I half expected to have an intolerance to yeast but it came back negative. Very glad I'm also negative on eggs.

This has thrown me for a loop. It does make sense though and I'm glad to have some answers which will help me get better.

I feel like I just made it through my gluten mourning period and wham! another food friend has died. Not ready for another wake and funeral!

Thanks for the tips on mayo and earth balance. It seemed like everything I pulled out of my fridge and cupboards last night had soy in it. Soybean oil and soy lecithin seem as prevalent in foods as much as gluten!

:blink:

One more question. I have seen people describe themselves in posts or in their sigs by their gene info. Sometimes I see people say double or single DQ#. How do I transcribe the results below? Would I be a DQ1 or a DQ1,4? I'm not sure what the 1,4 (5,4) numbers mean, nor do I know what 501 and 402 refer to. I need a science degree!

Thanks again :)

One more question. I have seen people describe themselves in posts or in their sigs by their gene info. Sometimes I see people say double or single DQ#. How do I transcribe the results below? Would I be a DQ1 or a DQ1,4? I'm not sure what the 1,4 (5,4) numbers mean, nor do I know what 501 and 402 refer to. I need a science degree!

Thanks again :)

I'm not a scientist either but you would describe yourself as DQ 5 & DQ 4 you carry a single copy of each. If you had HLA-DQ 1,1 then you would carry a double copy. You get a gene from each parent. For me I have two celiac genes so both my parents have a celiac gene. Don't know which one is 2 or 8 since they won't get it checked out but when they complain about my eating habits, I say, hey you each gave me one! :D I'll leave the Allele to someone else smarter!