This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potato Flour Vs Arrowroot Flour/starch

Roda

Roda Rising Star

I have a recipe that calls for potato flour. Can you replace it with Arrowroot?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I don't know, but I'm thinking of trying it.

Fallulah Newbie

I was baking bread for Thanksgiving, and the recipe called for 1 cup potato starch. I only had about 2/3 cup, and wasn't going to stop and run to the store, so I filled out the cup with arrowroot starch. The bread turned out fine, I couldn't tell a difference from the last time I had made it. I'd say, go for it. :D

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Are you asking about potato flour or potato starch? There is a very big difference, and they are not interchangeable.

Subbing arrowroot for potato starch would work, but you may find the finished product is a bit dryer. Potato starch has moisturizing properties. I would not sub arrowroot for potato flour.

mushroom Proficient
Are you asking about potato flour or potato starch? There is a very big difference, and they are not interchangeable.

Subbing arrowroot for potato starch would work, but you may find the finished product is a bit dryer. Potato starch has moisturizing properties. I would not sub arrowroot for potato flour.

What about adding some applesauce when you do, then? What do you think? This is a serious problem for we potato starch intolerants because practically every recipe seems to contain potato starch.

purple Community Regular
What about adding some applesauce when you do, then? What do you think? This is a serious problem for we potato starch intolerants because practically every recipe seems to contain potato starch.

How about using cornstarch? Or tapioca starch/flour? Sub starch for starch.

Posting recipes would help to figure out what to sub.

mushroom Proficient

The reason I am considering arrowroot is that most of the recipes call for tapioca starch and corn starch in addition to potato starch, so presumably the potato adds something that the others lack, so adding more of one to sub for the potato doesn't seem like it''s the right thing to do???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I was going to make a flour blend that called for 1 tablespoon of potato flour, 1 cup cornstarch, 1 cup tapioca flour and 1 cup rice flour. It may be to much effort. I may just go buy a premixed blend to make Santa some cookies. I ran out of Better Batter and have not ordered anymore. I have not been baking much, but when I do I have been using coconut, almond, buckwheat, sorghum, and brown rice flours mostly.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

So you are talking about potato flour, not starch. I would leave it out, but you may have to adjust the xanthan/guar in your recipe. You also might look for another way to add extra protein to compensate. Here is a page that may be of use to you.

Open Original Shared Link

Tubers and Roots

Potato Flour Made from dehydrated potatoes, this fine yellow-white powder is high in fiber and protein. It can be used in place of xanthan gum or guar gum in gluten-free baking. It lends a soft, chewy mouth-feel to baked goods, homemade pasta, breads and pizza crust.

How to use: Add 2 to 4 tablespoons per recipe. Reduce or eliminate the gum ingredients accordingly.

Watch out for: A little goes a long way. Too much potato flour will create a gummy product. Don't confuse potato flour with potato starch, which is used in much larger quantities in recipes and has different baking properties.

Roda Rising Star
So you are talking about potato flour, not starch. I would leave it out, but you may have to adjust the xanthan/guar in your recipe. You also might look for another way to add extra protein to compensate. Here is a page that may be of use to you.

Thanks for the clarification. I have learned something new today. I have been more eager to experiment with blending different flours/starches than I was a year ago.

purple Community Regular
I was going to make a flour blend that called for 1 tablespoon of potato flour, 1 cup cornstarch, 1 cup tapioca flour and 1 cup rice flour. It may be to much effort. I may just go buy a premixed blend to make Santa some cookies. I ran out of Better Batter and have not ordered anymore. I have not been baking much, but when I do I have been using coconut, almond, buckwheat, sorghum, and brown rice flours mostly.

You can find your flour mix at Open Original Shared Link

Its called Featherlite.

Bette Hagman has lots of recipes using that mix. Check out her cookie recipes.

I read on here that some don't add the potato FLOUR anymore. I stopped too. But now I mostly use sorghum mix. Sometimes the rice flour is nicer...like if you want whiter looking rolls.

I have made her chocolate chip cookies (called soft batch) many times and sugar cookies.

same recipe found here:

The choc chip cookies are my fave out of all the gluten-free recipes I tried. I use butter, 1 bag of choc chips, and the sorghum mix. They taste great! You could use the same dough and put in chopped M&M's, dried fruit, coconut....

You could sub the 1/4 cup flour with any one of those you listed.

IF you carefully place a few chips and nuts on top of each cookie...they will look like my pic! LOL!

Roda Rising Star
Bette Hagman has lots of recipes using that mix. Check out her cookie recipes.

I read on here that some don't add the potato FLOUR anymore. I stopped too. But now I mostly use sorghum mix. Sometimes the rice flour is nicer...like if you want whiter looking rolls.

I have made her chocolate chip cookies (called soft batch) many times and sugar cookies.

same recipe found here:

The choc chip cookies are my fave out of all the gluten-free recipes I tried. I use butter, 1 bag of choc chips, and the sorghum mix. They taste great! You could use the same dough and put in chopped M&M's, dried fruit, coconut....

You could sub the 1/4 cup flour with any one of those you listed.

IF you carefully place a few chips and nuts on top of each cookie...they will look like my pic! LOL!

If you wouldn't mind telling me, what all is in your sorghum mix? I've been partial to this lately.

purple Community Regular
If you wouldn't mind telling me, what all is in your sorghum mix? I've been partial to this lately.

Sure:

1 1/2 cups sorghum

1 1/2 cups cornstarch or potato starch or some of each

1 cup tapioca flour

Roda Rising Star
Sure:

1 1/2 cups sorghum

1 1/2 cups cornstarch or potato starch or some of each

1 cup tapioca flour

Thanks! Do you substitute cup for cup of wheat flour?

purple Community Regular
Thanks! Do you substitute cup for cup of wheat flour?

Yes I do, when I make cookies, muffins, sweet breads, cake and brownies...non yeast items.

Roda Rising Star

I have all of those ingredients in the house except potato starch. I was thinking of doing a mixture, following your recipe, and using a combination of cornstarch and arrowroot. I'm excited now! :D

purple Community Regular
I have all of those ingredients in the house except potato starch. I was thinking of doing a mixture, following your recipe, and using a combination of cornstarch and arrowroot. I'm excited now! :D

Soooo, I am curious...what are you going to make? :)

(be sure to add xanthan gum to your recipe)

Roda Rising Star
Soooo, I am curious...what are you going to make? :)

(be sure to add xanthan gum to your recipe)

Well, I was going to try this mix in my sugar cookie recipe I usually make with the Better Batter Flour. Do you think it would work? My sugar cookies always come out great so I'm a little nervous.

purple Community Regular
Well, I was going to try this mix in my sugar cookie recipe I usually make with the Better Batter Flour. Do you think it would work? My sugar cookies always come out great so I'm a little nervous.

I have never used BB flour. When I am not sure I always make 1/2 a recipe. When it calls for 1 egg, I just use the egg white and put the yolk in the freezer for future use. If BB flour contains rice flour you can use 1/2 rice and 1/2 sorghum if you want to. I did that before I switched to the sorghum.

Roda Rising Star

Well Purple, I managed what I call a sucess with the sugar cookie recipe. I used a mix of 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, 3/4 cup cornstarch (all I had), 3/4 cup arrowroot starch/flour, and 1 cup tapioca flour. I made the sugar cookies that my boys and I are crazy about (originally made with BB flour) and they turned out good! :D My husband tried them and liked them BETTER than before. I have come to the conclusion he does not like the grittiness you can get with a lot of rice based flours. The cookies were not white, but the better taste makes up for it. I may have to try the blend using all arrowroot for the cornstarch next time just to see. Thanks for the flour mix recipe. Next I am going to use the mix for my youngest son's birthday cake coming up next weekend!

purple Community Regular
Well Purple, I managed what I call a sucess with the sugar cookie recipe. I used a mix of 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, 3/4 cup cornstarch (all I had), 3/4 cup arrowroot starch/flour, and 1 cup tapioca flour. I made the sugar cookies that my boys and I are crazy about (originally made with BB flour) and they turned out good! :D My husband tried them and liked them BETTER than before. I have come to the conclusion he does not like the grittiness you can get with a lot of rice based flours. The cookies were not white, but the better taste makes up for it. I may have to try the blend using all arrowroot for the cornstarch next time just to see. Thanks for the flour mix recipe. Next I am going to use the mix for my youngest son's birthday cake coming up next weekend!

Great to hear your results! I hope the cake is good too!

• 3 weeks later...
Roda Rising Star

Purple and anyone else who wants to know. I substituted all the cornstarch in the mix with arrowroot. Flavor was good but made sugar cookies and they were too dry. I think I will stick with the 3/4 cup arrowroot and 3/4 cup cornstarch. It was a good mix. I will have to use the mix in its original recipe too.

Great to hear your results! I hope the cake is good too!

I actually made a mayonaise cake and took it to my oldest son's Christmas party at school. It was good, a little on the heavy side but still tasty. I did not tell anyone it was a homemade gluten free cake. I noticed the kids either really liked it or hated it. Kinda funny. :lol:

Wonka Apprentice

I can't have potato flour due to my nightshade intolerance. Arrowroot is the starch I use as a potato starch replacement. I've had great success with it.

Archived