Glamour

Got Nauseated On Bread Aisle At Walmart

Rate this topic

This used to happen every time I went to a Subway Sandwich shop with friends. I could not eat there and got violently ill 3 times over a year. I figured it was the yeast, and did not know about gluten.

I go to Walmart often, and never had any issue with Bread Aisle.

Weird.

Sounds psychological to me.

richard

It might be psychological, but it happens to me too, lol ;).

I can't touch the bread bag and then my mouth, or I get a little sick. Who knows, but you're not alone!!

Go figure! I still love the smell of bread baking and things like cinnamon rolls. Doesn't make me want to eat them, but I still find the smell appealing. :)

At work the other day, I saw someone eating a piece of cake and for a moment my stomach turned.

It's intermittent to me. Sometimes I am envious of the nice smells of pizza, etc. But for some reason, looking at cakes and cupcakes etc. sometimes makes my stomach turn.

Definitely not a gluten attack for me by any stretch of the imagination. But still, agitates me a little. I think it just brings me back to the crappy way that kind of food used to make me feel, which makes my stomach turn.

I don't think it is psychological, because I was not giving going down the bread aisle a thought.

I go down the bread aisle in every grocery store. Never bothered me. I like the smell of fresh bread. Subway is cheap bread, baked in some stores. Lots of yeast in the air.

Walmart does have a huge bread aisle, and they were restocking the shelves, so maybe bread dust was in the air.

I also think there is a possibility that you could become more sensitive to something after removing it for a short time. I hear as time goes on getting glutened reaction lessons for some people, but in the beginning the attacks are bad.

Airborn gluten will give me a definate reaction. Physiological, not psychological. I get primarily neurologic reactions with I accidentally eat gluten. I'm not one for much in the way of digestive problems.

With airborn gluten, I yawn and it increases in frequency and uncontroabillity the longer I'm in certain situations. Hubby now does the grocery shopping. If I am around airborne gluten too long, it causes a moderate level reaction that will send me into body aches and joint pain and fatigue for a few days. Locations that seem to trigger for me include:

Passing the bakery at the grocery store (right near the bread aisle at my Kroger)

Walking up the cereal and baking and pet food aisles

Entering Panera Bread

entering Dunkin donuts

Passing the cafeteria at work

Being on the hospital floor the nights they are serving stuffing and some other meals I have not identified.

Being in the room when my husband eats toast. (toast is now prohibited when I'm at home)

being in the room when a coworker eatws her hot pockets.

being closer than 30 feet to a pizza. Go figure that one.

Being near hot gluten, but noodles don't bother me it seems.

I've learned to manage by avoiding certain aisles at the grocery store, stoppin in on weekdays only, and staying nor more than 10-15 minutes at a time. For me, yawn is the first clue and it is usually within the first minute of exposure. I find that if I leave after the second or third yawn, I'm not going to have any day long effects, but if I "stick it out" for 5-30 minutes, I will have a neuro gluten reaction of increasing severity and length.

Prior to going gluten free, fatigue was one of my main symptoms, so it does not surprise me that yawn is my warning sign that I've been exposed.

I understood that 90% of taste is smell. I've felt nauseated in the bakery section of my local grocery store. If you're nauseated it doesn't matter what causes it, you just want it to go away! I recently discovered a pressure point on the little finger side of your wrist that takes away the mild nausea immediately.