This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eczema Or Anxiety Better Off Gluten?

ktnhsv

ktnhsv Newbie

Im wondering if anyone who had severe anxiety or eczema pre gluten free diet, saw great improvement post gluten free diet? I need some hope before trying gluten free diet!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Glamour Explorer

You can find lots of info relating skin rashes of all kinds, to diet, especially sugar, dairy, gluten, and soy.

There is an eczema type severe rash called dermatitis herpetiformis directly caused by gluten and and a component of celiac disease.

summerteeth Enthusiast
Im wondering if anyone who had severe anxiety or eczema pre gluten free diet, saw great improvement post gluten free diet? I need some hope before trying gluten free diet!

Regarding anxiety, I can say that mine was drastically improved after going gluten free. I do, however, get panic attacks if glutened.

missy'smom Collaborator

Eczema is what led us to take my son off gluten. He doesn't have any of the obvious usual signs of gluten intolerance or celiac disease, at least not like I did. Blood and skin testing for allergies at the time showed a reaction to wheat so I took him off gluten for a good month and a half and his eczema cleared up completely, sores healed and he had beautiful clear skin again. When e reimtroduced gluten, the eczema came back pretty quickly so he's gluten-free now. I had noticed that after I went gluten-free and started cooking more meals at home it got a bit better and when I switched all his meals to gluten-free(inc. school lunches) except parties, restauraunts and the like, his eczema got that much better but it was still enough gluten to keep it around. He had always had both calves of his legs covered and itched in his sleep without knowing it because he's a deep sleeper. I didn't want him on the steroid containing cream continuously like the allergist recommended and like she did herself. She wasn't interested in finding the cause. Well, we found it! I should note that his most recent skin test showed negative for a reaction to wheat. He'll still be gluten-free.

luvs2eat Collaborator

My brother (not celiac) noticed a dramatic improvement in his eczema when he simply REDUCED his gluten intake. My sister, who lives in France, has been plagued w/ eczema her whole life but as she's tested negative for celiac (blood work) she's not willing to give it up, even as an experiment. I'd be hardpressed too... their breads are the best in the world!

jerseyangel Proficient

Anxiety and eczema were both major problems for me. The gluten-free diet helped greatly with the anxiety, although it took a good 18 months or so to really notice a difference. My panic attacks stopped right away, though, and have not returned. I still feel anxious when glutened, my jaws clench and my mood changes. Other that that, I'm so much better than I used to be.

Eczema went away initally, but has returned. I only have spots on my face, eyelid, and arm. I use steroid cream when it gets really bad--I have not found a dietary link to it for me--I thought legumes may have contributed, but I've been off of them completely for years now and it still reoccurs.

My internist says that it's some sort of allergy. I also have other allergic symptoms, and should probably go back to the allergist for more testing. The eczema is very frustrating.....

missy'smom Collaborator
Anxiety and eczema were both major problems for me. The gluten-free diet helped greatly with the anxiety, although it took a good 18 months or so to really notice a difference. My panic attacks stopped right away, though, and have not returned. I still feel anxious when glutened, my jaws clench and my mood changes. Other that that, I'm so much better than I used to be.

Eczema went away initally, but has returned. I only have spots on my face, eyelid, and arm. I use steroid cream when it gets really bad--I have not found a dietary link to it for me--I thought legumes may have contributed, but I've been off of them completely for years now and it still reoccurs.

My internist says that it's some sort of allergy. I also have other allergic symptoms, and should probably go back to the allergist for more testing. The eczema is very frustrating.....

It might not be a bad idea to be re-tested. We have been lately and it was very revealing. A lot of foods that we reacted to are foods that we consume more often/in larger quantities/favorites. Seems that we may have developed new intolerances-especially me. I'm thinking leaky gut is to blame. I need to read up more on it. I had started upping my consumption of certain foods since the diabetes dx and low and behold many of those that I reacted to are those ones. At least one was tested before the dx and I didn't react so I took that as a green light to go ahead and eat it freely-my blood sugar prevents me from going too far but still lots more than previously. Now I'm on an elimination challenge and since taking out the foods that I reacted to, I feel much better on the digestive front. Dh and I are thinking that I may have to be careful to rotate foods in the future, we'll see. It's a PITA, but whatever it takes to feel better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
It might not be a bad idea to be re-tested. We have been lately and it was very revealing. A lot of foods that we reacted to are foods that we consume more often/in larger quantities/favorites. Seems that we may have developed new intolerances-especially me. I'm thinking leaky gut is to blame. I need to read up more on it. I had started upping my consumption of certain foods since the diabetes dx and low and behold many of those that I reacted to are those ones. At least one was tested before the dx and I didn't react so I took that as a green light to go ahead and eat it freely-my blood sugar prevents me from going too far but still lots more than previously. Now I'm on an elimination challenge and since taking out the foods that I reacted to, I feel much better on the digestive front. Dh and I are thinking that I may have to be careful to rotate foods in the future, we'll see. It's a PITA, but whatever it takes to feel better!

You're right--I've also moved to a different region of the country and I know that can contribute. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm becoming allergic to almonds, since I've been using them as a low-carb staple.

Does this ever end?? :lol:

missy'smom Collaborator
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm becoming allergic to almonds, since I've been using them as a low-carb staple.

Almonds are on my avoid list right now. I've switched to walnuts but wonder if I'll end up with an intolerance to them too if I'm not careful! At least now maybe I know what the signs might be so if it happens again, I can switch things up again.

Does this ever end?? :lol:I'm really beginning to wonder!

ktnhsv Newbie

Have you tried a dairy-free diet? Or egg-free?

They also say strawberries, nuts, citrus can also cause eczema but I don't eat those often so I know it's not my issue.

My diet is basically wheat, dairy, and sugar.....with veggies thrown in there............

Archived