jackay

Is Less Than 60 Parts Per Million Safe?

Rate this topic

The only headache relief I get is from Goody's Cool Orange Headache Powder which includes acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. I emailed the manufacturer and was told that it contains less than 60 parts per million of wheat from flavoring. Is this a large enough amount to be considered gluten? I really hate to give it up.

Can anyone suggest another pain reliever that is completely gluten free? I have had better luck from a powder than from something I have to swallow.

The parts-per-million debate has been around this board for as long as I have. There is no answer as to how many ppm are safe. If you consume one gram of something that is 60 ppm gluten, you are getting the same amount of gluten as you would if you ate six grams of something that is 10 ppm gluten.

That being said, most people here consider anything with intentionally added gluten in any detectable amount to be unsafe.

The only headache relief I get is from Goody's Cool Orange Headache Powder which includes acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. I emailed the manufacturer and was told that it contains less than 60 parts per million of wheat from flavoring. Is this a large enough amount to be considered gluten? I really hate to give it up.

Can anyone suggest another pain reliever that is completely gluten free? I have had better luck from a powder than from something I have to swallow.

Can't answer the ppm debate -- not sure anyone can. According to Dr. Peter Green, US standard is under 10 ppm and Europe is 20 ppm -- but like the moderator said, ppm is only pertinent relevant to volume -- large volumes end up in glutamination, regardless of ppm count.

This might help though -- do you drink enough? Often, headaches are a preliminary indicator of dehydration == and it sounds like you're a caffeine person. Hydration and caffeine are not compatible -- caffeine is a diuretic.

Eyestrain is another, and a Japanese technique for relieving eyestrain is a gentle direct eyeball massage (close your eyelids, then gently massage). Direct pressure on the accupressure points in the webbing between thumb and forefinger provide immediate relief, as does a massage of the nodes at the top of your spine where it connects to your head.

Finally, square breathing can also help. Inhale slowly and completely, hold for a little while, then exhale slowly and completely, and hold for a while. Do that for 10 minutes or so.

These are all alternative techniques for dealing with migraines (from which I no longer suffer), and also work with normal tension and eyestrain headaches. If you have sinus stuff going on, get a Neti Pot, or use some form of steam.

Hope this helps -- headaches are no fun.

I drink at least eight cups of water a day but may suffer fry dehydration because of diarrhea. Today that isn't a problem but I still got a headache. I avoid caffeine except when I resort to my pain reliever, which I no longer want to use.

Thanks, Jabe, for the suggestions to combat the headaches. I don't think they are from eye strain, but I will try massaging my eyes to see if that helps. The headaches are always in my forehead, around my right eye or even in my eye.

Luckily as the day has progressed my headache has gotten better.

There are other headache remedies that have the same combo of ingredients. I would look for one that is safe glutenwise. How long have you been gluten free? Are you stict with the diet? Headaches are part of a glutening for some of us.

Peppermint Oil - one drop rubbed between tips of index fingers, on the temples, away from eyes, always helps me. Also at base scalp if that area is tight.

Drink some hot decaf tea along with it, better yet get in warm bath, too.

One more question about my 60 parts per million pain reliever. It is a powder that dissolves in the mouth. Does it all end up in my stomach if I don't take a drink right away? I am wondering if that could be the reason that this is the only pain reliever I found that works for me.

There is no proven safe amount and it seems that the amount people react to varies from person to person.

It would be best not to take the risk and try and find an alternative.