This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Great Holiday Cookie Recipe - I Want To Blow Them Away!

Lynayah

Lynayah Enthusiast

Hi, Everyone:

Next week, I will meet with my GIG (Gluten-Intolerance Group), and we will have a holiday cookie exchange. This group has been incredibly helpful to me -- they are the best, and I want to thank them by bringing a WONDERFUL batch of holiday cookies, along with the recipe.

Right now, I have Better Batter and Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix in the house, although if I have to go out and buy different stuff, that's okay. I just want to bake something super-fantastic for the most wonderful group of people in the world.

Any help appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you . . . and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Food . . . don't you love it? Whoever invented it sure knew what they were doing! LOL! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

suepooh4 Contributor
Hi, Everyone:

Next week, I will meet with my GIG (Gluten-Intolerance Group), and we will have a holiday cookie exchange. This group has been incredibly helpful to me -- they are the best, and I want to thank them by bringing a WONDERFUL batch of holiday cookies, along with the recipe.

Right now, I have Better Batter and Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix in the house, although if I have to go out and buy different stuff, that's okay. I just want to bake something super-fantastic for the most wonderful group of people in the world.

Any help appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you . . . and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Food . . . don't you love it? Whoever invented it sure knew what they were doing! LOL! :)

Hi

Is there any cookie recipe that you are looking for? Like peanut butter kissy cookies, or I guess I mean any certain flavor? My husband, Jeff has celiac and I have been cooking/baking for him since he was diagnosed over 3 years ago. If you could tell me what kind you are looking for I might be able to help.

Thanks

Sue

ciavyn Contributor

Good ol' Tollhouse, and I used Tom Sawyers blend, but I think anything that you have on hand might work. I made it according to the recipe, and just changed out the flour and used crisco bars instead of butter (I'm dairy intolerant). They are AWESOME. I'm told if you cut the rice/tapioca flour with sweet sorghum flour it cuts back on the gritty finish, but honestly - I like them just the way they are. Everyone that has tried them thought they tasted like normal cookies, and I make awesome chocolate chip cookies...and these are every bit as good.

Lynayah Enthusiast
Good ol' Tollhouse, and I used Tom Sawyers blend, but I think anything that you have on hand might work. I made it according to the recipe, and just changed out the flour and used crisco bars instead of butter (I'm dairy intolerant). They are AWESOME. I'm told if you cut the rice/tapioca flour with sweet sorghum flour it cuts back on the gritty finish, but honestly - I like them just the way they are. Everyone that has tried them thought they tasted like normal cookies, and I make awesome chocolate chip cookies...and these are every bit as good.

Great tip! Thank you.

Lynayah Enthusiast
Hi

Is there any cookie recipe that you are looking for? Like peanut butter kissy cookies, or I guess I mean any certain flavor? My husband, Jeff has celiac and I have been cooking/baking for him since he was diagnosed over 3 years ago. If you could tell me what kind you are looking for I might be able to help.

Thanks

Sue

I'm not really sure -- I'm more interested in recipes that get a lot of "wows!" regardless of the flavor.

jerseyangel Proficient

These are classic--easy to work with dough that you can cut and decorate. I like to do stars, frost with vanilla frosting, and sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Sparkly and festive! :D

SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups rice flour blend (I simply use 2 cups of rice flour and one cup of potato starch--I'm intolerant to tapioca)

1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup milk if needed

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. When combined, add dry ingredients. Wrap dough (I also flatten it a little) and chill for about an hour. Roll out and cut as desired.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool, frost and decorate.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Does it have to be cookies? I just recently succeeded with a pumpkin roll that was awesome..... If you'd like to try it, let me know I'll post the recipe...

Wenmin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast
Does it have to be cookies? I just recently succeeded with a pumpkin roll that was awesome..... If you'd like to try it, let me know I'll post the recipe...

Wenmin

I would LOVE the recipe -- please post it! I think someone is already bringing pumpkin roll to the party, but I WANT THE RECIPE so very much for using over the holidays for my family -- thank you!

Pumpkin roll always seemed to hard to me. I would really love to try to see if I can do it.

Lynayah Enthusiast
These are classic--easy to work with dough that you can cut and decorate. I like to do stars, frost with vanilla frosting, and sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Sparkly and festive! :D

SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups rice flour blend (I simply use 2 cups of rice flour and one cup of potato starch--I'm intolerant to tapioca)

1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup milk if needed

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. When combined, add dry ingredients. Wrap dough (I also flatten it a little) and chill for about an hour. Roll out and cut as desired.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool, frost and decorate.

This sounds so good! My oldest daughter is coming home for the holidays, and she requested decorated cookies. This would be perfect for her as well -- much appreciated. I have it added to my grocery list and am excited to try it!

I can eat butter. Can I substitute butter for shortening without a problem?

purple Community Regular

Here are some recipes:

Open Original Shared Link

Roda Rising Star
This sounds so good! My oldest daughter is coming home for the holidays, and she requested decorated cookies. This would be perfect for her as well -- much appreciated. I have it added to my grocery list and am excited to try it!

I can eat butter. Can I substitute butter for shortening without a problem?

Yes. Be aware though that when baking cookies with butter they tend to spread more than with shortening or margarine. Test bake one and see. If needed add more flour.

lcbannon Apprentice

I use my own Flour mix which is very close to Better Batter. I have a number of great recipes Open Original Shared Link Under both Gluten free and Cookies. You can use gluten-free flour I just would use a little less in any of the cookie recipes ie: If it calls for 2 cups regular flour I would personally use 1 3/4 gluten-free Flour, if Chocolate or Chocolate Chip I would use 1 1/4 gluten-free flour and 1/2 cup Teff.

I would again ask what flavor??? or maybe a really fudgy brownie or truffles perhaps....I do an awesome Pistachio Infused Chocolate Ganache White Chocolate Truffle.

purple Community Regular

Amazing chocolate cookies and only 1/4 cup flour!

Make single batches.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Pumpkin Roll

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Namaste Perfect Flour Blend

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 large eggs

1 cup granualted sugar

2/3 cup Pure Pumpkin (1/2 can)

extra granulated sugar for sprinkling

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions for cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 15 x 10 in jelly roll pan Line with parchment paper cut to dimensions of pan. Spray nonstick spray on pan and paper. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixing bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen cake and sprinke top with granulated sugar. Cover cake with thin cotton kitchen towel and place the back side of a larger pan on top of baked cake and invert onto kitchen towel. Carefully peel off parchment paper and roll cake and towel together starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

Filling:

Ingredients:

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

1-2 cups powdered sugar

6 tablespoons of butter or margarine, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions for filling: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer until smooth (I added powdered sugar until mixture was thick enough to spread). When cake is completely cooled, carefully unroll cake, remove towel., Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinke with powdered sugar before serving if desired.

ENJOY!

Wenmin

Lynayah Enthusiast
Pumpkin Roll

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Namaste Perfect Flour Blend

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 large eggs

1 cup granualted sugar

2/3 cup Pure Pumpkin (1/2 can)

extra granulated sugar for sprinkling

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions for cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 15 x 10 in jelly roll pan Line with parchment paper cut to dimensions of pan. Spray nonstick spray on pan and paper. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixing bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen cake and sprinke top with granulated sugar. Cover cake with thin cotton kitchen towel and place the back side of a larger pan on top of baked cake and invert onto kitchen towel. Carefully peel off parchment paper and roll cake and towel together starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

Filling:

Ingredients:

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

1-2 cups powdered sugar

6 tablespoons of butter or margarine, softened

Instructions for filling: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer until smooth (I added powdered sugar until mixture was thick enough to spread). When cake is completely cooled, carefully unroll cake, remove towel., Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinke with powdered sugar before serving if desired.

ENJOY!

Wenmin

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

My most favorite cookie: Pistachio Macaroons and it's gluten free. Not for the diet minded.

Pistachio macaroons

Ingredients

For the macaroons:

1/3 cup or 3 ounces pistachios

3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

2 large egg whites

1 tbsp sugar

For the buttercream:

1/4 cup or 2 ounces pistachios

1 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper

Preheat the oven to 350

Lynayah Enthusiast

Ahorsesoul -- your recipe sounds amazing! It also sounds like a lot of fun to make.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Make single batches.

I love this recipe. While I want to try everything listed here, this might just be the one for next Monday -- my weekend has turned into hectic times ten, and now I'm needing something fast and easy.

Everyone: Keep posting! My daughters and I are so excited. We're making a list of gotta-try-it recipes out of these posts, and we plan to make each cookie over the holiday. They want to learn more about gluten-free cooking. What fun this will be!

Lynayah Enthusiast

Make single batches.

OMG! These are the ones I made for the cookie exchange tomorrow, and they are awesome! Thank you for the recipe; it is sure to be a hit.

The other recipes here I'm making over the holidays - so excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

purple Community Regular
OMG! These are the ones I made for the cookie exchange tomorrow, and they are awesome! Thank you for the recipe; it is sure to be a hit.

The other recipes here I'm making over the holidays - so excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are very welcome! Now I have to make them again :lol: so I can remember JUST how good they are :rolleyes:

purple Community Regular

Aha, DROOL over these up-close photos I just found for the fudge cookies!!!

Lynayah Enthusiast
Aha, DROOL over these up-close photos I just found for the fudge cookies!!!

Yep, that's the cookie! Nice to know mine came out looking like they should. Great photo find -- thanks.

For those who make this recipe, know that the cookies don't really feel "done" when they're done. My first batch I cooked a much longer than I should -- like 20 minutes instead of 10, because I didn't think they were done (they were still very good, just more crunchy than fudgy). The next ones I baked for about 12 minutes, ignored how soft they were and let them cool almost completely before transferring to a cooling rack -- perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
Wonka Apprentice

I'm too late for your cookie exchange but here are a few recipe for you for next year.

Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies

Adapted from Bon Appetit, December 2009 issue

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 large egg yolk

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups gluten-free flour

Lynayah Enthusiast

Wow, Wonka! Thank you so much.

Wonka Apprentice
Wow, Wonka! Thank you so much.

You are welcome. I'm a bit of a baking and cooking freak, and I'm happy to share successful recipes.

Archived