This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn And Rice Allergy With Celiacs?

Tara Marie

Tara Marie Newbie

Hi I was recently diagnosed with celiacs and have been gluten free for about a month. My question is could someone with celiacs also be allergic to corn and other grain?. Every time I eat anything with corn or HFCS I go through the same reactions. I get horrible mouth sores,extreme thirst and exhaustion, bloatin and cramps. I'm afraid to even try rice again at this point. Is their testing for this like there is for celiacs? Help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Secondary food intolerances are very common while your intestines are healing. I could not tolerate rice or corn and a few other things for about 4 months. I can now have rice again with no issues, but still issues with corn. You will find many with the same issues. It would be a good idea to keep a food diary to help you pinpoint foods that bother you. Most of the foods you will need to eliminate won't be forever, just until you heal up a bit more. if you use this site's search feature on food diary and intolerances, you will gain much info. Hope that helps!

jststric Contributor

I also found I couldn't have rice, but have had it a few times lately with not alot of trouble. But my rice issues also includes rice flour that is in MANY, MANY gluten-free items and those things still seem to bother me. Go figure. So much of this makes no sense. But give your gut plenty of time to heal to begin with.

breavenewworld Apprentice

i think those are common grains to become intolerant too, i'm glad to hear someone can have rice again - how did you swing that??

i've been gluten free for 3 months, but before that i discovered my nightshade intolerance first- about a year ago. since going off gluten, i've recently had to go off soy and dairy because of my enterolab results, eggs nuts and beans because of my immunolabs results, and peanuts rice and possibly avocado because of my own observations...

hopefully some of these will be more tolerable later- i'm planning to do the specific carb diet and heal my apparently leaky gut. some people find they feel best on no grains at all. maybe u should steam veggies and eat healthy meat and a little fruit for a while?

it's also interesting that everything i'm reacting to is all the same stuff "eat right for your blood type" says i should avoid since i'm type O....

:)

Wolicki Enthusiast

I started out with so many intolerances that I did not have before going gluten-free. The list included: dairy, nuts, grains of all kinds, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, and most recently all nightshade vegetables. Dairy and nuts- I just tried once a month or so in small amounts, and was able to tolerate again. Rice- I started with a little spoonful about a month ago (about 5 months gluten-free) and gradually increased the amount. I can have about 1/2 cup now with no problems. Same with beans. Still no broccoli/cauliflower or nightshades. I had some mashed potatoes (just a spoonful) on Thanksgiving, and was ok with it, so I made a baked potato last night. I ate the whole thing, and within minutes looked 8 months preggers, so I guess they're still out:( Bummer! I have hope that all will resolve with more time.

breavenewworld Apprentice

wow that's great and i hope the nightshades come back for you too!

i'm trying to rotate things every 4 days - i was told that would help prevent more intolerances?

but then if i do the SCD i'll have to eat the same stuff every day for a little while...

what do you think

Wolicki Enthusiast

I have no experience with the SCD. You might check in with Allib, she is our resident expert. This whole intolerance thing is very tricky!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dawnie Newbie

I've been off wheat for about one month. I'm just starting to feel normal...occasionally. I seem to notice trouble with corn, rice, and dairy, too. Guess I'll have to keep eliminating food groups. Sorry to hear others are going through this but it's good to know I'm not alone. Thanks to all who contribute. It's a huge help.

• 3 weeks later...
sharonk868 Newbie
Hi I was recently diagnosed with celiacs and have been gluten free for about a month. My question is could someone with celiacs also be allergic to corn and other grain?. Every time I eat anything with corn or HFCS I go through the same reactions. I get horrible mouth sores,extreme thirst and exhaustion, bloatin and cramps. I'm afraid to even try rice again at this point. Is their testing for this like there is for celiacs? Help.

Thanks you for the post.

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Open Original Shared Link

Melzo Rookie

I found out through my PCP that I am also allergic to corn through regular allergy testing. It it not uncommon to have other allergies with celiac disease. You may also find that certain types of rice or corn (processed) may hurt you, whereas other types might not. At least that is what I've found.

Good luck. I know it is hard having just been diagnosed with celiac disease, now to deal with the fall-out.....just hang in there!

AndrewNYC Explorer

What does rice have to do with HFCS? Anyway, try pure brown rice like the lundberg brand, cooked in a rice cooker. You want to avoid Uncle Bens and Minute Rice right now. Also, try germinated brown rice.

Archived