KRP78

Balsamic Vinegar And Soy Sauce?

Rate this topic

I'm very new to a gluten-free diet and am trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. Is balsamic vinegar generally gluten-free? I saw "caramel coloring" on one, and I know that's risky. If it is a brand-by-brand issue, does anyone know of specific brands that are safe?

Also, I know that many soy sauces have wheat -- does anyone have recommendations for soy sauces that do not?

Thanks for your help!

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
[Emphasis in original]

Although some folks have said on here that balsamic vinegar COULD contain gluten, I have yet to see anybody list one that does. As for soy sauces, La Choy, Kroger brand and San-J wheat-free tamari are gluten-free. The San J is more expensive but IMO it's the best of the bunch.

richard