This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Support Groups In Mass

Guest Tracykobegf

Guest Tracykobegf

Hi. I am 21 fairly new to this disease i was diagnosed in Dec 05 and i am really not likeing this at all, all i want is to find a good pizza! Anywayz i was wondering if anyone new of any support group in or around Massachusetts, also does anyone know where i can get gluten-free beer, because i dont like hard alcohol and i used to just drink a beer but i cant even do that any more, if anyone has any info that would be great! Also if anyone is in New England and wants absolutley delicious donuts and bagels(and this is coming from some one who rarely eats "gluten-free" i just try to eat regular food that is "gluten-free" not special food) the place is called West Meadow Fram Bakery in Vermont!!! The donuts taste like real doughboys!!!!! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mjohnson73 Apprentice
Hi. I am 21 fairly new to this disease i was diagnosed in Dec 05 and i am really not likeing this at all, all i want is to find a good pizza! Anywayz i was wondering if anyone new of any support group in or around Massachusetts, also does anyone know where i can get gluten-free beer, because i dont like hard alcohol and i used to just drink a beer but i cant even do that any more, if anyone has any info that would be great! Also if anyone is in New England and wants absolutley delicious donuts and bagels(and this is coming from some one who rarely eats "gluten-free" i just try to eat regular food that is "gluten-free" not special food) the place is called West Meadow Fram Bakery in Vermont!!! The donuts taste like real doughboys!!!!! Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where in Mass are you? I am in Central Mass and am also looking for a support group...

I am still waiting for my test results from the Dr. but he thinks I might have Celiac...

Don't know about the gluten-free Beer, since I don't drink.... I don't know if they make a gluten-free beer but... they might... and I will have to look up that bakery in Vermont...thanks!

--Maya

pixiegirl Enthusiast

HI and welcome to the group, I'm on Cape Cod and there is a Celiac group on the Cape (I'm not a member yet....) and I know there is one (probably more then one) in Boston too.

Are you saying that the bakery in Vermont is Gluten Free? Heck I'd drive to Vermont for that! I love VT any how. Why isn't there a gluten-free bakery in Boston thats what I want to know??

Susan

nothungry Contributor

I know of two gluten free beers. Bard's tale beer and Ramapo Valley Beer. Bard's has a website and a listing of where their beer is available (a lot of Outback restaurants have it). I have only tried Ramapo Valley beer and it is okay. Also, Woodchuck cider is gluten free and widely available. I didn't used to like it, but it tasted a lot better now that my options are fewer. Good luck. Also, where is this bakery in Vermont?

Portageegal Newbie

Susan,

Where on th Cape are you? I was born and raised in Provincetown. Moved to Millis a couple of years ago.

Portageegal Newbie

Susan,

Where on th Cape are you? I was born and raised in Provincetown. Moved to Millis a couple of years ago.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I'm in Cotuit!

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jen H Contributor

Hi Susan,

I'm from the Cape too (Hyannis). I was diagnosed with celiac sprue last week and would like to join a support group. Do you know a contact name/number for a support group on the Cape? Also, do you know a good GI doctor and nutritionist on the Cape or in Boston?

Thanks, Jen

• 3 weeks later...
maxcarr Newbie
Hi Susan,

I'm from the Cape too (Hyannis).  I was diagnosed with celiac sprue last week and would like to join a support group.  Do you know a contact name/number for a support group on the Cape? Also, do you know a good GI doctor and nutritionist on the Cape or in Boston?

Thanks, Jen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maxcarr Newbie

Hi Jen, this is my first posting, but I wanted to recommend a dr and nutritionist in Boston. I use Dr. Kieran Kelly at Beth Isreal, and his nutritionist, Melinda Dennis, who also has celiac disease, so she knows her stuff. Good luck!

jennysugar Newbie

Hey - I live in VT and you are so right about that West Meadow Bakery. How'd you hear about it? Did you live in VT?

Sugar

Jen H Contributor

Hey Max,

Thanks for getting back to me on the GI doctor in Boston. I have heard great things about Dr. Kelly and the Celiac Center. I found a GI doctor on the Cape and went to see a nutritionist too. I'm going to see how that goes for a while.

:) Jen

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Hi I just got back from vacation and am catching up.... I'm not sure if I have the info about the cape celiac group but I'm sure I can find it on line some place... I'll see what I can find for you. They meet in Mashpee I believe.

I'm curious what GI doctor you found on the cape. My internist is Dr. Rosa Moncholi in Hyannis but I don't think she is accepting any new patients. She didn't diagnose me but she is very accepting about celiac and seems to know a lot about it.

Susan

Jen H Contributor

Hey Pixiegirl,

Dr. Kathleen Koehler is my GI doctor. She's right in Hyannis. I like her a lot, but she is often quite busy and it can be hard getting an appointment with her. My GP is Maureen Kelleher. She's in Yarmouthport. I haven't been to see her yet, but she has a subspecialty in GI medicine.

I got an email from the support group leader here on the Cape. Would you like me to forward you her information? There is a meeting on September 25th in Mashpee.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Yes forward me the info about the meeting... are you going to go??

Susan

Jen H Contributor

Hi Pixiegirl,

I have a few emails from the Cape support group leader that I can forward to you if you want. What's your email address? If you email the group leader she'll add you to the correspondence list. Her name is Margo Finnell and her email address is margo820@juno.com.

The next meeting is on September 25th from 12:30-3 at Christ the King church in Mashpee. Someone from Trader Joes will be speaking and is bringing gluten-free samples. An RN is also speaking and I think there's a movie. I think I will go-it'll be my first meeting as well.

• 2 weeks later...
KMcClee Newbie

Hi Maya,

I also live in Central Mass. I was diagnosed with "Gluten Sensitivities" 4 weeks ago.

Did you ever find a support group in this area?

KJ

elbar Apprentice

Anyone out there in the Greenfield, MA area? I've been re-diagnosed after thinking I was cured for 54 years. I never wanted to believe any of the health professionals or the material I ever read that said you can't be cured. I guess I wanted to believe I truly was cured! Anyway, now I have DH and am trying to follow a gluten-free diet which almost seems impossible with all the opportunities for cross contamination. These message boards are great - they give me such inspiration.

elbar

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Hi Jen,

I wrote to the Mashpee group and I'm planning to go to the meeting on Sept. 25th too. I hope to see you there.

Susan :D

Archived