This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boars Head

whisperr45

whisperr45 Newbie

Does or has anyone used Boars Head Condiments?

The Label says Natural Flavors.

But does not say Gluten Free.

A person working for Boars Head said yes it is Gluten Free.

And I said most Celiac's stay away anything that is labeled Naturel Flavors.

So he called his boss from Boars Head and she asked to speak with me.

She told me I was wrong that Natural ingreadents ment dried ingreadents only.

She told me that Wheat Rye Barly and Oats is the only thing to stay from.

She said it is not true about things that come from gluten.

Hidden things. Like extracts, carmel flavoring etc.

I asked questions about where they get them from. She answered she did not know.

She only wanted to tell me what was in the mustard bottle.

I asked if the same was in the barbecue sauce and she said no. So I asked why natural ingredients were not listed.

She had no answer.

I asked her if she went to the warehouse to read labels of the idems that were put in the Conciments and she said no.

She is the head nutritionist for Boars head. But does not read the labels of the ingredents of what is being put into the condments.

And Argued with me about Celiac do's and don't.

Hello I have been Celiac all my life.

It is Hard enough to stay healthy.

Please anyone. Tell me what you think or have experienced. With Boars Head.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

As the woman told you, Boar's Head condiments are gluten-free, as are all their meats. Is there a reason you don't believe her?

Virtually everything that has natural flavors in the U.S. is gluten-free. If wheat were in it it would have to be clearly listed, and just about all the time that barley is there you'll see something mentioning malt or malt flavoring. I'm not saying that natural flavors NEVER hide gluten, but it is extremely, extremely rare. If you avoid all natural flavors, you are missing out on a TON of things that you can eat.

As for extracts and caramel coloring, in the U.S. those are perfectly safe. The woman you talked to is right.

I don't know how long you've been gluten-free, but it sounds like you're operating on advice from many years ago. Our knowledge about what is and isn't safe has come a long way in the past several years. And the requirement to list wheat has made things much, much easier.

richard

whisperr45 Newbie
As the woman told you, Boar's Head condiments are gluten-free, as are all their meats. Is there a reason you don't believe her?

Virtually everything that has natural flavors in the U.S. is gluten-free. If wheat were in it it would have to be clearly listed, and just about all the time that barley is there you'll see something mentioning malt or malt flavoring. I'm not saying that natural flavors NEVER hide gluten, but it is extremely, extremely rare. If you avoid all natural flavors, you are missing out on a TON of things that you can eat.

As for extracts and caramel coloring, in the U.S. those are perfectly safe. The woman you talked to is right.

I don't know how long you've been gluten-free, but it sounds like you're operating on advice from many years ago. Our knowledge about what is and isn't safe has come a long way in the past several years. And the requirement to list wheat has made things much, much easier.

richard

whisperr45 Newbie

Thank You for your input I have been gluten with HD Since I was a child.

Some gluten free foods bother me.

I do try a lot of what you are saying.

But I can handle the gluten injestion and get over it in what ever time it takes.

But no way do I want the blister again in my life I lost 90% of my skin once.

It was no picnic.

I have the right to question what is in the words Natural.

Maybe it is the old way but it is a safe way.

Thank you for your input.

Please understand

Trust in a non celaic is hard.

They do not know everything.

I also tested possitive to have an allergy to wheat.

One can not blame me to want to do more research on something new.

Before putting it in my mouth.

bonny

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I understand that trusting a non-celiac might be hard sometimes but trusting a head nutritionist from a decently large company shouldn't be.

lovegrov Collaborator

Boar's Head has always been one of the top companies as far as trustworthiness. If a representative of the company tells me it's gluten-free, it's gluten-free.

There's also this online under the FAQ.

"All Boar's Head Brand

Jestgar Rising Star
One can not blame me to want to do more research on something new.

Before putting it in my mouth.

bonny

I understand your concern, but sometimes we have to to make a decision about who we trust. I would be more inclined to trust a trusted company over random strangers on the internet, however well-intentioned the strangers may be. You may react differently anyway, so the only solid way to know what you can and can't eat is to eat it once yourself, and find out if it's safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

codetalker Contributor
Some gluten free foods bother me.

That makes two of us.

There are two main categories that have resulted in an occasional gluten reaction for me:

1) Products labeled both as "gluten-free" as well as "made in a non-dedicated facility". I simply stay away from these now. Most products are "probably" safe but I've been burned enough that I feel safer simply saying, No.

2) A very small number of well-known products that contain caramel coloring. In particular, a well-known soy sauce, a well-known table syrup and one particular flavor of a well-known sports drink. The one thing in common with these and a few other products is that they contain caramel coloring. Celiac dogma has always maintained that any and all caramel coloring is safe with absolutely no exceptions so my comments have always garnered negative, sometimes nasty, responses. I only mention this again because you may be in a similar situation.

lovegrov Collaborator

codetalker, when you've reacted to these products, have you then called the companies and traced the source of the caramel coloring? Did you find gluten?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Funny, I trust the word of the people posting here more than a nutritionist with a company (who is their meal ticket). Unless they are gluten free they really might not really know. As a nurse I've talked to nutritionists who didn't have a clue.

Within the last two years, my dd had an appointment with a nutritionist at Mayo Clinic in the cardiac department. I'm thinking she will be fine, it's the Mayo Clinic, surely she will know how to eliminate the gluten from her recommendations. Nope, the nutritionist said she really didn't know much about gluten free diets. She did know it was complicated.

Big hospital in Eau Claire (ok, not big compared to somewhere like Baltimore but big for our area) couldn't even figure out what a gluten free diet was for my dd during her stay. I'm checked into a little 10 bed hospital in the area and they even had gluten free bread on my tray!

So it really doesn't matter who they are or how much education they have had, if they have no experience with a gluten free diet they might be clueless.

Thank you people for all your postings and thoughts here on this board!

whisperr45 Newbie
Funny, I trust the word of the people posting here more than a nutritionist with a company (who is their meal ticket). Unless they are gluten free they really might not really know. As a nurse I've talked to nutritionists who didn't have a clue.

Within the last two years, my dd had an appointment with a nutritionist at Mayo Clinic in the cardiac department. I'm thinking she will be fine, it's the Mayo Clinic, surely she will know how to eliminate the gluten from her recommendations. Nope, the nutritionist said she really didn't know much about gluten free diets. She did know it was complicated.

Big hospital in Eau Claire (ok, not big compared to somewhere like Baltimore but big for our area) couldn't even figure out what a gluten free diet was for my dd during her stay. I'm checked into a little 10 bed hospital in the area and they even had gluten free bread on my tray!

So it really doesn't matter who they are or how much education they have had, if they have no experience with a gluten free diet they might be clueless.

Thank you people for all your postings and thoughts here on this board!

Thank You And all of the others that have replied to this.

Boars Head is new to our local store.

EVERYTHING Boars Head has offered in the meat and deli section is labeled as Gluten Free.

So far I have only seen the condiments not labeled Gluten Free.

The nutritionist at my local Health food store made a terrible mistake and offered me and other celaics a new product. we all got sick because there was Oats in it.

My fault was I did not double check the label before I tried it.

Back in the day there was no internet to access info.

And meet other People with celiac disease.

Showing my age here lol But the Doctors did not have a name or know what the rash was for HD. They called it jungle rot.

I want to try the BH condiments only after some one else tries it first.

Thanks again Everyone bonn

Gemini Experienced
A very small number of well-known products that contain caramel coloring. In particular, a well-known soy sauce, a well-known table syrup and one particular flavor of a well-known sports drink. The one thing in common with these and a few other products is that they contain caramel coloring. Celiac dogma has always maintained that any and all caramel coloring is safe with absolutely no exceptions so my comments have always garnered negative, sometimes nasty, responses. I only mention this again because you may be in a similar situation.

Caramel coloring is absolutely safe....unless the product comes from another country and then all bets are off. If it contained wheat, it would have to be listed on the label as the source and many, many US companies have converted to using corn and rice as the source for their products because they are beginning to realize just how many people cannot eat wheat and that's a lot of business to lose.

There are many misconceptions that are still floating around out there about what contains gluten and that's a shame because it eliminates a lot of food you could be eating. Natural flavors is another one. I just read the other day (and I am wracking my brain to remember where I read it, as I read so much regarding these issues) that natural flavors originating from the US are completely safe for Celiacs yet people still have all this fear about it. Again, gluten will not be "hidden" as many think because that would break the labeling laws. I know gluten is not listed as an official allergen but wheat is and the vast majority of gluten related issues originate with wheat. If you know your products and food and what's in them, it'll be a lot easier to navigate through all this.

I think if someone eats something labeled gluten-free and has a reaction, there is a very strong possibility that they are reacting to something else in that particular product. Yes, it could be from CC but if that many products were constantly being subjected to CC before packaging, then many more Celiacs would react to the product. Soy is used heavily in many gluten-free products and soy is also a huge allergen.

Amy's products uses a lot of soy in their line of foods so that's a potential problem for those who may have a soy issue and haven't figured it out yet. It is very easy to blame any reaction on gluten but Celiacs have reactions to other things just like the rest of the general population. Sometimes it can be very hard to pinpoint but you just can't assume it's a gluten problem unless there is strong evidence that it is.

Boar's Head is a perfectly safe product with no gluten and they are very upfront with their information. I have eaten their cold cuts many times without the slightest problem and I am as sensitive a Celiac as they come. At some point you have to trust the good information when it comes or your diet will be even more limited than it already is.

lovegrov Collaborator

Whether or not the BH condiments say gluten-free, their website lists them as gluten-free. Here's a whole page they have that missed before. I'm not sure how they can say it any more clearly than this. Believe me, they wouldn't be stating this so boldly unless they were certain.

Open Original Shared Link

I have used their deli mustard and horseradish sauce with no problem.

richard

Archived