Lisa

Dr. Oz Show - Discusses Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

http://www.celiaccentral.org/News/Celiac-i...61/vobId__2154/

For those of you who have not subscribed to the National Federation of Celiac Awareness, I would highly encourage you to do so. Donations are also accepted, as they are a 501 © (3), not for profit organization. They touch our lives in more ways than you can possible know.

Celiac Central will keep you updated on all the current research, publicity, coping guides and product information.

Thanks for the info :)

Thanks for posting! I saw this earlier today, and while I'm not thrilled about Elizabeth Hasselback... I figure that a LOT of people watch Dr Oz, so this should be a good thing. :)

I am hoping this time, Elizabeth's focus is not on the "gluten-free diet" as being a "diet to lose weight" we shall see how it goes...

I am really upset about missing this episode of Dr. Oz. ( I did not find out the air date until just now!) Did anyone see it? What was it about?

Thanks,

Wenmin

Hopefully I have it taped. No one is jumping up and down about it so.........

I did barely remind myself. I thought Dr. Oz did a great job, but I grew tired hearing reference to the "G.-free" diet. In fact, even on this site, we have automatic controls not to accept "gluten-free" as legitimate. Spell it out Girl! (can you imagine going into a restaurant and explaining to the waitress, "I'm on the G.-free diet"....um grapefruit?)

I enjoyed hearing from Dr. Peter Greene.

Most any awareness is good, and I should not nit-pick, but......

Elizabeth said all blue cheeses are gone from the diet and said "sorry". How evey untrue.

This research in this field changes so quickly, that two year old information is frequently no longer valid.

Maybe someone can post the video when available. It's well worth the view.

I used today's show as an awareness opportunity... Last week I sent an email to my friends and relatives (son & daughter too) about the the Dr OZ show's Topic of Celiac Disease.. Hopefully my friends and relatives saw the show today, so they can better understand that I can't cheat one day a week to just eat around the bad foods when I'm at their house...

I saw only the first 15 minutes or so, but I did like how Dr. Oz showed how gluten causes an autoimmune (he used that word !) reaction and had animation of the intestine to illustrate. He stressed how serious this condition is, and the consequences that can occur if a Celiac does not stick to the gluten-free diet or is undiagnosed. He talked about symptoms--not just the obvious GI ones, and testing.

I also liked how he and Dr. Green mentioned gluten intolerance.

I'm not an Elizabeth Hasselbeck fan, I'll say that up front, but she was still wrong about blue cheese and instant coffee. She dismissed both completely out of hand. I would rather have seen Dr. Green up on the stage in discussion with Dr. Oz than have him comment from the audience, but all in all I thought it was very good and informative.

I'm out of town at the moment, but it was recorded at home so I can watch the whole thing soon. :)

Does anyone know how to get a copy of the show? I missed it and have contacted the station but not sure if they will respond. If someone recorded it, is there a way to make a copy?

Does anyone know how to get a copy of the show? I missed it and have contacted the station but not sure if they will respond. If someone recorded it, is there a way to make a copy?

You can go to the Dr. Oz Show website--

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos

The Celiac Disease episode is the ninth one down--you can read about the content there by clicking on the title. I didn't search the entire site, but you may be able to view a video there or get info.

I saw only the first 15 minutes or so, but I did like how Dr. Oz showed how gluten causes an autoimmune (he used that word !) reaction and had animation of the intestine to illustrate. He stressed how serious this condition is, and the consequences that can occur if a Celiac does not stick to the gluten-free diet or is undiagnosed. He talked about symptoms--not just the obvious GI ones, and testing.

I also liked how he and Dr. Green mentioned gluten intolerance.

I'm not an Elizabeth Hasselbeck fan, I'll say that up front, but she was still wrong about blue cheese and instant coffee. She dismissed both completely out of hand. I would rather have seen Dr. Green up on the stage in discussion with Dr. Oz than have him comment from the audience, but all in all I thought it was very good and informative.

I'm out of town at the moment, but it was recorded at home so I can watch the whole thing soon. :)

Yes, I totally agree jerseyangel. I would've rather have seen Dr. Green on the stage with Dr. Oz, also. I watched the whole show. I wish they would've went in to more detail & talked about celiac disease for the whole hour, but it was only twenty minutes. There was just so many symptoms they didn't even touch on.

I am glad that they are finally talking about celiac & bringing awareness to the community. People really need to know about this. I don't wish anyone to find out they had celiac disease after ten years of intestinal damage (like myself). They should be diagnosed so much sooner. So at least it is progress.

Long story short, I've been off work on Medical Leave for Carpal Tunnel Release.. During that time, I watched the Dr OZ Show and emailed many concerns about Celiac Disease... I may never know if it helped celiac disease get a spot on the Show, but I'm sure it didn't hurt... Maybe celiac disease could get another, but more in depth spot on the show at a latter date if more people emailed Dr OZ...

Couldn't find the video, but did a search and found lots of good blog stuff about it.

I've never watched Dr. Oz's show before so I don't know what a "normal" segment looks like, but the whole thing seemed rushed. I watched the whole show and it all seemed to be rushed, so I'm thinking that's just what he does.

I have no real like or dislike for Elizabeth H. In general, I thought she did OK. I don't like that she gets hyped as an expert and she's not. She's just like the rest of us who make mistakes (like with the coffee) but she's got millions of people listening so she needs to be up-to-date!! The "g.-free" thing is just plain annoying. I thought Dr. Oz promoted gluten-free as a weight loss diet more than Elizabeth H. did (although I think it is in her book somewhere).

I, too, am bummed that I missed this show. I made sure I set aside time to watch it. The Dr. Oz show came on and there was nothing about celiac on it. Can't believe I tuned in on the 11th and not the 10th :(

I just read the article for the Dr. Oz show on Celiac and gluten intolerance. I question this statement from it: "The difference between gluten intolerance and Celiac disease is that gluten intolerance generally does not cause the same kind of intestinal damage, but does lead to uncomfortable abdominal symptoms with the ingestion of gluten."

From almost everything I read, gluten intolerance that isn't celiac can cause way more damage and discomfort thatn just "uncomfortable abdominal symptoms". Does anyone care to comment?