This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Larger Doses Of D3...the Final Piece Of The Puzzle

Eric-C

Eric-C Enthusiast

I've posted several times on my seemingly successful 'recovery' from most of the consistent problems that people have with Celiac's.

I've had terrible neuropathy problems, digestion problems...you name it.

B12 helped a lot.

Candex was amazing in bringing me to near 100 percent.

As I solved each problem something else would pop up. The last one was an extreme burning pain in the lower back that lead to muscle strain in the neck and head. I had headaches, burning sensation in my legs, a very concerning muscle stiffness in the hands and arms.

During the winter I was taking 2000ui of D3. My doctor did not seem to be concerned about the amount and I've heard that they are thinking of raising the daily allowable dosage to 10,000ui.

A week and a half ago I accidently was glutened. Everytime this happens I get a another piece of the puzzle. In the summer months if this happened I would get the burning sensation in the back, neuropathy, could not sleep and the strangest was when I was 'sleeping' I was awake...I'd be having very vivid dreams and when I woke up they were still going on. I could not get my mind off of them no matter what.

In the summer it was never severe and went away in a day or two. This did not go away and it got worse.

I was taking Candex but has been lapse on takig my B12 and D3...when I start the D3 depends but it has been cloudy and dark here in Michigan.

I was doing very poorly. Headaches, severe muscle pain, could not concentrate, could not sleep...so I started to take 4,000ui of D3 over the past 2 days.

Had I been more diligent in taking it around October this may not have happened. Now that I've gone back over my notes, I keep a record of everything, summer glutenings rarely provoked this kind of reaction, and if so it was mild and lasted a day or two.

Feel great, slight tinges of neuropathy here and there but its on its way out.

Just another example for those who chronically suffer with this. The issue I described above I lived with for months on end. I felt alot like others on here where there was no end in site. I went to doctors for months on end with no help.

I started on D3 a year ago and its difficult to describe the difference 2 days makes. 2 days ago I had a hard time holding things, had severe muscle pain, couldn't sleep....now a $10 bottle of vitamins has totally turned things around.

I could have skipped a years worth of suffering and ups and downs had I known this before.

Anyone else find D3 helps them and take over the recommended dose? I plan on going back down to 2,000 ui in about a week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jana315 Apprentice

I've been taking 5,000 IU of D3 for the past 6 weeks or so as a flu preventative. This week I accidentally glutened myself for 3-4 days - what a da??? I know, I know. Anyway - the good news is that the since realizing what I was doing, my symptoms seemed to have passed more quickly than in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was because I'm healing - maybe the D3 helps also.

Eric-C Enthusiast
I've been taking 5,000 IU of D3 for the past 6 weeks or so as a flu preventative. This week I accidentally glutened myself for 3-4 days - what a da??? I know, I know. Anyway - the good news is that the since realizing what I was doing, my symptoms seemed to have passed more quickly than in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was because I'm healing - maybe the D3 helps also.

Well its been 3 days since the higher dosage and what an amazing difference.

Its hard to keep track of your mood and overall feeling throughout the year because changes are gradual. 2 weeks ago I would have told you I felt great due to my point of reference.

I've slept better, had more energy and clear focus.

I'm going to schedule a DR's appointment and see how much is really safe to take. Too much D3 can cause kidney problems from what I read but I've found more articles like this one

Open Original Shared Link

I might go upto 6,000 after a week and see if there is a noticeable improvement over where I am now but what an amazing difference.

Wolicki Enthusiast
Well its been 3 days since the higher dosage and what an amazing difference.

Its hard to keep track of your mood and overall feeling throughout the year because changes are gradual. 2 weeks ago I would have told you I felt great due to my point of reference.

I've slept better, had more energy and clear focus.

I'm going to schedule a DR's appointment and see how much is really safe to take. Too much D3 can cause kidney problems from what I read but I've found more articles like this one

I might go upto 6,000 after a week and see if there is a noticeable improvement over where I am now but what an amazing difference.

Eric,

My doc escribed 50,000 IU 3 times a week for 2 months, then 5,000 daily. I am having no adverse effects.

Roda Rising Star

I've been taking Rx vitamin D 50,000 iu weekly for 11 months now. I did have a blood test initally my vit D level was 17. Three months later it was 43 ish. Oct. level was around 52. I am still taking it at the recommendation of my gyn doc who told me optimal level should be between 50-70. I have just recently convinced my husband to start on vit D. He has had problems with depression (he calls it a funk) off and on since a surgery gone wrong 4 1/2 years ago. He will cycle off and on and it usually does not last long. However, for the past three years, I have noticed a pattern with him that he really gets in one of his "funks" around this time of year and it does not seem to improve until spring. I honestly believe he has a vitamin D deficiency. He is taking 2,000 iu of D3 daily right now and I want his doctor to test his level when he goes next month. I was wondering if it would hurt right now if he started taking 4,000 iu without baseline blood work?

Eric-C Enthusiast

I took the chance to increase the dosage without talking to my doctor.

I had read that over doing it on D3 could cause kidney issues however now everything I read is that 10,000ui should be the new standard.

I keep pretty detailed records of my reactions and everything. A year after going through the ordeal with Cipro, which now I know was yeast/gluten related I had a great winter. Difference? I was working in 2 different locations and traveled between them, plus it was the sunniest winter on record in Michigan.

I now know I really screwed myself up with gluten...I'm not sure what I did the past two weeks but I've been going out with my vendors, taking customers to lunch/dinner for Christmas I really over did it. During the summer I'd do something like this and I'd be so-so for a few days. In the winter it will drag out for a month.

The D3 really has helped, amazingly so. In a lot of ways...when I was taking 2,000ui it was barely making a dent but then again I had been glutened pretty badly.

I took 6,000 today and just sent in a hair sample for a complete run down. My doctor told me hair was a better indicator than blood.

Going back to my detailed records. About a 5-6 weeks ago I started with a very mild case of restless leg...I never get it bad but I'd notice that it was bothering me....started on the D3 again and it went away. Slowly all these neurological problems were popping up, nothing major and honestly I'd usually dismiss them....but the glutening happened and it got much worse.

As soon as I upped the D3 it all subsided but the intestinal issues are still not healed, probably be another week before that clears up. Before I never got better until the intestinal stuff got better, now I feel better while still having the problem.

It has had other positive effects too....the wife has been a bit worn out :)

Roda,

This was my cycle although it mostly effected my sleep, from mid November to late January my sleep schedule was all screwed up taking just 2,000ui....moving it up has made that problem go away.

I'm no doctor but I don't think it would hurt going up, the half life of D3 is 72 hours I think. According to most articles 10 percent of the UI value translates into blood levels so 4,000ui only will raise it 40 points after a few weeks, depends on what his absorbtion rate is. If he feels better in the spring and not in the winter then 2,000 isn't enough so 4,000 should not be toxic, might put him back where he needs to be.

AndrewNYC Explorer

Pro Tip: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Sometimes I think this guy is a quacker, but seems pretty right on in the vitamin arena:

VioletBlue Contributor

Yep, I've had the same reaction to D3. I haven't had the opportunity to see if it helps with a glutening and I'd just as soon never :lol: but it does wonders to improve my mood and stamina. D3 and iron are the two most helpful supplements I take. Funny I was downing huge amounts of B vitamin complex and it never had the positive effect that 5000 of D3 has had. I'm a believer.

Roda Rising Star
Sometimes I think this guy is a quacker, but seems pretty right on in the vitamin arena:

I wonder what the recommendation for the 30+ crowd is?

Eric-C Enthusiast

The best thing to do is find out your levels.

You do not need to goto a doctor to get a blood test. Just find an indepedent lab and have it checked yourself, runs about $50-$60. They will even draw it.

In fact if you ask you doctor they will usually not refer you to an independent lab and run it through insurance which will most likely end up costing more.

I'm waiting to find out mine. I paid $45 for a hair follicle test which is a bit more of a tell all than blood work.

I really screwed myself up this past two weeks. We went to Thanksgiving dinner at the in laws but something there didn't do me any good...then we went to another party, then to dinner with clients, then a few lunchs/dinners with clients...once I was on that downward spiral it didn't stop.

The D3 has really helped. I've been through this holiday glutening thing before, every year I am a mess between Thanksgiving and New Years....every year I attempt to do more and more to stop it but it happens.

I think I have an additional trigger...it might be yeast or vinegar but I can't figure it out. I thought it was cilantro but that is not a problem, I eat it by the pound I think :)

Vinegar or yeast...I've been eating more gluten-free breads and thousand island dressing and tartar sauce really give me problems, and they are not the traditional gluten problems.

I have gluten I have D and feel like crap....with whatever this secondary trigger is its only neuropathy, high blood pressure, and a burning/inflamation of the lower back, and its not my kidney's, been checked 5 times for it. All of the vinegars I've checked on were corn based, not wheat.

The D3 brings my blood pressure right back down...its odd because I had 120/80 dead on, every single time, then I was in the 150/110 range, got off gluten and it went down slightly but started the D3 and it dropped back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
Rebecca Markle Newbie

This fall I was focusing on bloating issues. Thought I had it beaten over the summer, then it started around December. You know where I'm going, don't you? I wasn't supplementing with D. Started back on it & my passive - aggressive gut is getting back in line with the rest of me!

Something else I figured out re: bloating. I seem to get even better results when I make sure that I get enough choline in my diet. Doing my research choline is in itself pretty amazing. I got a couple references that claim it prevents fatty liver, for example. My guess is that it has some impact on cholesterol metabolism.

Second thing about choline is that it is source material for acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. ACh is responsible for gut motility and secretions. (I saved the source for that, if anyone needs it).

I'm thinking that when we don't get enough choline in our diets, ACh levels drop, and bloating begins. Somewhere, somehow, Vitamin D plays a part here also.

Choline sources are diverse: ground beef, egg yolks, shrimp being rich sources. The things you aren't supposed to eat. Also, almonds and cabbage.

Of note: I have a cornea disorder( Fuch's Dystrophy) & have had to have corneal transplants. Another part of my research discovered that the cornea has a high concentration of ACh. Or should have. Following my new diet modification, I've noticed that my vision is a heck of a lot sharper now.

Leaving tomorrow on vacation, I've enabled email notification. Will reply when I get back 01/03.

Archived