jststric

Charles Shaw Wines ($2 Chuck)

Rate this topic

I've been reading that some wines might have barley added? I've never been bothered by wine before but I had a LITTLE of a Charles Shaw White Zin last night and definitely had symptoms during the night. It's the only thing I can think of that could have caused it. Thoughts?

I use the white routinely in rissoto with no problems. It's a staple in my kitchen for cooking.

I've been reading that some wines might have barley added? I've never been bothered by wine before but I had a LITTLE of a Charles Shaw White Zin last night and definitely had symptoms during the night. It's the only thing I can think of that could have caused it. Thoughts?

We are very sensitive and use 2-Buck Chuck wines frequently with no problems. The only wines we've reacted to were those aged in barrels sealed with wheat or rye paste.

We are very sensitive and use 2-Buck Chuck wines frequently with no problems. The only wines we've reacted to were those aged in barrels sealed with wheat or rye paste.

Oh my gosh, I thought ALL wine was gluten-free. Is there a list of non-gluten-free wines anywhere?

Thank you to the original poster for this thread, and thank you nasalady, for your post.

I also had symptoms after eating shrimp and drinking 2 buck chuck white zin a few weeks ago. This was at a potluck, and I thought perhaps the shrimp may have had something in it....it was purchased cooked (I did not purchase it). We have 1 bottle of chuck white zin left, so perhaps I will try it again and see if I get sick. I'm not allergic to shrimp.

Oh my gosh, I thought ALL wine was gluten-free. Is there a list of non-gluten-free wines anywhere?

Thank you to the original poster for this thread, and thank you nasalady, for your post.

Hi Lynayah,

Unfortunately there's no comprehensive list, but what we've done is to call our favorite wineries and ask which wines (if any) are aged in new barrels that have been sealed with wheat or rye paste. For example, at one small winery (Claiborne and Churchill) they only do this with their Pinot Noirs, which made sense to us because that's what we were drinking when we got glutened! :)

Another winery (Kynsi) told us that all of their whites are in stainless steel, so we know we're safe with those.

Here's a link to an older webpage (some of the links therein are broken) about gluten free wines:

http://gfkitchen.server101.com/GFAlcohol.htm#Wine

Good luck!

JoAnn

P.S. Are any of you who have reacted to wines allergic to casein or eggs? Because I just remembered that those substances (among others) are sometimes used during the "fining" process during wine-making. Here is a link to an old thread where they discuss this subject (from this board):

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=24397

And a link to a page about the process of fining:

http://www.winedefinitions.com/learningcen...cles/fining.htm

I'm allergic to casein. Last night had more "store bought by someone else" shrimp, and Sutter Home White Merlot, and had no symptoms at all. Since I have so many food issues, am never sure what causes my symptoms. I have recently discovered that Arizona Sweet Tea gives me diarrhea and abdominal pain if I drink more than 1 glass a day, yet I can drink Arizona Caffeine Free Herbal Tea without a problem. Some days I feel like a guinea pig, but each day I learn more and more about what I can eat without a problem, then eat plenty of it.

Thank you to the poster mentioning eggs and casein!!!! Those are both on my intolerance list. I know the feeling if guinea pig as I have so many intolerance that SOMETHING is likely to bother me. But when I stay home and dot own cooking I don't usually have to worry quite so much! Thanks everyone!!