jasonD2

Would A Celiac Blood Panel Be A Waste?

Rate this topic

ive been very strict on the gluten-free diet for 3 months, with 2 or 3 accidental glutenings. I am going for an endoscopy in a few weeks and it was advised that i still get the blood test. IS it possible i might still have circulating antibodies for gluten and TTG?

For some, antibody levels drop rapidly, but for others it takes a while. Single transgressions don't do much to raise antibody levels in the bloodwork. So your gluten accidents probably won't count for much. The bloodwork is better at measuring continued exposure. 3 months of a gluten-free diet is plenty of time for antibody levels to drop if you are a fast healer. If you do decide to get the bloodwork, and it turns out positive, it could help rule Celiac in. But if it is negative, it would not rule Celiac out.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You could get the blood test keeping in mind what the last poster stated. The endo is being done to check for healing not for diagnosis right? If it is being done for diagnosis you need to get back on gluten pronto. The endo is useless for diagnosis if you are already gluten free but it will still pick up if you have other issues. Do keep in mind also that the endo like the the blood test can have false negatives.