meldesigns

Generic Ceftin Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

I have been taking cefuroxime axetil manufactured by Apotex for 8 days, and even though the pharmacist said it was okay, I think I have been glutened by it! I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows anything more about this generic form of ceftin?

Melissa

Do you believe the pharmacist did an accurate check or did he act as if he knew without contacting the manufacturer? I take 13 different meds every day and I contacted the manufacturer of each one. Some responses were more informative than others, but all claimed that particular med is safe. The companies I feel were the most honest told me that wheat is not in the formulary of the med, but that CC could be an issue. They also stated that formulae change frequently and also that any part of the ingredients made for them by a different company might contain gluten. I didn't feel any different while on the gluten-free diet (currently eating gluten prior to a challenge) so I have no way to know if I have accurate information. I need all the meds I take so I kept taking them on good faith. I have a close friend who is a pharmacist and he said he has no idea how to really determine the gluten issue in meds.

Do you believe the pharmacist did an accurate check or did he act as if he knew without contacting the manufacturer? I take 13 different meds every day and I contacted the manufacturer of each one. Some responses were more informative than others, but all claimed that particular med is safe. The companies I feel were the most honest told me that wheat is not in the formulary of the med, but that CC could be an issue. They also stated that formulae change frequently and also that any part of the ingredients made for them by a different company might contain gluten. I didn't feel any different while on the gluten-free diet (currently eating gluten prior to a challenge) so I have no way to know if I have accurate information. I need all the meds I take so I kept taking them on good faith. I have a close friend who is a pharmacist and he said he has no idea how to really determine the gluten issue in meds.

I don't think he did, he just said it didn't look like it in the ingredients. I should have known better, but it was later on a Friday and I just wanted to start feeling better. Lesson learned!!! Thanks for the information!!!!