CGally81

Probiotic Active Culture?

Rate this topic

I saw someone mention in one of the "hungry all the time" threads that she takes a probiotic active culture pill. (I can't swallow pills, so I'd have to get a chewable)

What do they do? What do they help with, and how do they help?

I see some websites mention that they can help "fight hunger", so if that's the case, which ones would you recommend?

I am not too sure about helping fight hunger, I use them to assist in general gut health and (to me) it seems to lessen the effects of accidental glutenning. I use Danactive from Dannon, I can describe it best as a yogurt drink. They have had to change the advertising because there isn't any proof that it boosts the immune system.

Most of my research shows that it is helpful in many of the different symptoms that those of us with Celiac and Gluten Intollerance deal with. My GI Doc suggested that I start using them to assist in healing my intestines and I have been using them since.

I am not sure if they come in chewables or not, but you can get them in (according to medicinenet.com) "Probiotics are available in foods and dietary supplements (for example, capsules, tablets, and powders) and in some other forms as well. Examples of foods containing probiotics are yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, tempeh, and some juices and soy beverages. In probiotic foods and supplements, the bacteria may have been present originally or added during preparation".

I hope this helps.

I am not too sure about helping fight hunger, I use them to assist in general gut health and (to me) it seems to lessen the effects of accidental glutenning. I use Danactive from Dannon, I can describe it best as a yogurt drink. They have had to change the advertising because there isn't any proof that it boosts the immune system.

Most of my research shows that it is helpful in many of the different symptoms that those of us with Celiac and Gluten Intollerance deal with. My GI Doc suggested that I start using them to assist in healing my intestines and I have been using them since.

I am not sure if they come in chewables or not, but you can get them in (according to medicinenet.com) "Probiotics are available in foods and dietary supplements (for example, capsules, tablets, and powders) and in some other forms as well. Examples of foods containing probiotics are yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, tempeh, and some juices and soy beverages. In probiotic foods and supplements, the bacteria may have been present originally or added during preparation".

I hope this helps.

So yogurt contains probiotics? That might explain the slight hunger decrease (albeit very slight, yet I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it) after I had 2 yogurts yesterday. It wasn't because it had casein. It was the probiotics.

And I have seen references to probiotics decreasing hunger a bit. I don't know what to believe, but it seems believable to me. Anything does these days, with the crazy stuff we have to learn. Who would have thought, for instance, that eating wheat, barley and rye could cause your body to stop tolerating fruit? (That problem went away after a while) Or that having tuna fish every day would cause my headaches? So, I can believe that probiotics reduce hunger in addition to helping repair the body.

I am lucky to not have a casein problem. The supervisor at my job who has Celiac also does not have a casein problem. I have a coworker who does, however (she also has lupus).

So, by eating yogurt, I am having probiotics? That's good. They also come in powders? I would like to see chewable probiotics; I'd gladly take those too. Is it possible to have too many probiotics? I hope not.

Of course, you may have not been hungry because you ate two yogurts. I get the same results with a candy bar, and it's a lot more fun.

I am such a smart @ss. Sorry.

So yogurt contains probiotics? That might explain the slight hunger decrease (albeit very slight, yet I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it) after I had 2 yogurts yesterday. It wasn't because it had casein. It was the probiotics.

And I have seen references to probiotics decreasing hunger a bit. I don't know what to believe, but it seems believable to me. Anything does these days, with the crazy stuff we have to learn. Who would have thought, for instance, that eating wheat, barley and rye could cause your body to stop tolerating fruit? (That problem went away after a while) Or that having tuna fish every day would cause my headaches? So, I can believe that probiotics reduce hunger in addition to helping repair the body.

I am lucky to not have a casein problem. The supervisor at my job who has Celiac also does not have a casein problem. I have a coworker who does, however (she also has lupus).

So, by eating yogurt, I am having probiotics? That's good. They also come in powders? I would like to see chewable probiotics; I'd gladly take those too. Is it possible to have too many probiotics? I hope not.

Any yogurt, fermented, or cultured food contains probiotics. Just make sure it says "Contains live active cultures."

Remember too much of anything is bad for you. I have heard it is nearly impossible to overdose from probiotics with any serious side effects. That is not to say that you won't experience any abdominal discomfort with too many. But they are generally regarded as extremely safe.

The only way I could think that they decrease hunger would be by improving digestion. Since probiotics improve digestion, food would digest faster, telling your brain you are fuller sooner. That's about the only explanation I can think of though.

My guess is that the decreased hunger could be related to healing too. Lucky us, gluten damages our intestines which keeps them from properly absorbing nutrients. When we heal the damage, our bodies start getting more nutrients from the food helping us to feel full, satisfied or however you would like to put it for longer periods of time.