This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Plz Post Your Christmas Dinner Ideas

purple

Juliebove Rising Star

My mom told me we are having tacos. We will hash out the particulars of that when I visit there next. I presume there will be beans and rice with that. This is for Christmas Eve. I got some of the decorated cookies from this website for dessert. My mom may have something different. But with three diabetics, a nephew who hates sweets and a SIL who is on a strict diet for medical reasons, nobody needs much in the way of dessert.

My parents will be coming here for lunch on Christmas day. I have to come up with a meal that will fit everyone's needs. Husband is the only one who has no dietary issues aside from the fact that he is supposed to be on a weight loss diet. I have one pre-cooked beef roast from Costco. I think I will need to buy another. My husband has a big appetite and could likely eat a whole one all by himself. One roast would be enough for the other four of us. We are not big eaters. I have most of a bag of baby red potatoes (also from Costco). I will roast those along with some baby carrots in some beef broth. With this I will serve some raw veggies and olives and probably some baked apples for dessert.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

Well I decided what to add to my menu for Christmas and also for New Years and for snacking.

Christmas:

Porcupine Meatballs with tons of homemade sauce (freeze a few)

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Pasta for 1 dd sprinkled with meatballs and cheese, she hates mashed potatoes

Cranberry-Orange relish

New Years Day:

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts with a thin layer of flavored cream cheese (freeze a few)

Smokies in the sauce made with grape jelly and catsup or just BBQ sauce

Fresh or canned pineapple to jab with the smokies and cheese cubes!

Coleslaw

Baked Beans

Snacks:

Chips and carrot stix dipped in homemade BLT dip

Bacon Chestnut Wraps in BBQ sauce (dh will eat most of them, traditional item)

Turkey Breast, meats and cheeses

7-up with cranberry juice

Orange Julius

Rocky Road or peanut clusters

Nachos

gluten-free/vegan cookies or cupcakes for 1 dd, other gets the pie

*subject to change :D

Thanks all for your help...I am trying some new things and hopefully they will be new traditions or new favorites! I can post recipes I found/have if anyone wants any!

Thanks for helping me think outside the box this year!!!

Your dinners sound fantastic!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Christmas Eve at Grandma's:

Grandma's famous BBQ ribs

Baked potato

My famous homemade mac and cheese

Steamed veggies

Pie, Pie and more Pie a la mode!!

Christmas day at my house (other grandma is cooking :) ):

Homemade ooey gooey cinnamon rolls for breakfast

And for dinner:

Prime rib

roasted root veggies

garden salad

dessert of some sort

purple Community Regular
Come on over--I think we'd have a ball cooking and eating! :D

For the relish, take a bag of fresh cranberries, wash, and chop in food processor. I just pulse a few times so as not to over do it. Put the chopped cranberries in a big bowl, and put a large, washed, quartered orange (rind and all) through the processor with about 3/4 cup of sugar (you can add more to taste--we don't like it too sweet). Add this to the bowl of chopped cranberries and stir well to combine. Best if made a day or so ahead to let the flavors develop. Very simple, but good. :)

I just made it...one word...DELICIOUS!!! Thanks Patti!!!

jerseyangel Proficient
I just made it...one word...DELICIOUS!!! Thanks Patti!!!

I'm so glad you like it! :D

I'm making it this afternoon.

purple Community Regular
I'm so glad you like it! :D

I'm making it this afternoon.

My dh popped in for lunch and sampled it, he likes it too! It's sooo pretty :P

I want to dump it into a cake, muffin or quick bread sometime...do you happen to have a recipe?

I am baking a ham on Sat morning and I hope there is some relish left to go with it :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient
I want to dump it into a cake, muffin or quick bread sometime...do you happen to have a recipe?

Oh my! :lol: In all the years we've been making it (it's a holiday "must have" as far as my husband is concerned), I've never thought to use it as an ingredient. I'll bet it would be good in a bread or muffin, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

All of my brothers and sisters are coming for dinner tonight. Here's the menu:

Gumbo Ya Ya with chicken and andouille

Brown Rice

Baked Ham

Yucca Buns (amazing! Recipe on Foodtv.com)

Big salad

Stuffed mushrooms

pumpkin pie

Flourless chocolate cake

Let the eating begin!

Merry Christmas to my gluten free family :D:D

purple Community Regular
Oh my! :lol: In all the years we've been making it (it's a holiday "must have" as far as my husband is concerned), I've never thought to use it as an ingredient. I'll bet it would be good in a bread or muffin, though.

I found a recipe to try it with, I may save out a cup of relish. Another site said to freeze the relish.

Open Original Shared Link

Looks like you could sub what ever berry is in season ;)

Roda Rising Star
I'm going to have a prime rib roast. I have no idea what I am going to have with it yet. Sometimes when I try to do different things the boys won't eat it. One time I took cauliflower and tossed it with olive oil and herbs, then roasted it. It was so good. My oldest son said "you burned the cauliflower." They won't eat it unless it is just steamed with just a little salt/pepper. Go figure.

Well, my Christmas dinner consisted of homemade beef vegetable soup that I had made the night before and it was really good. My husband put the prime ribs roast in the oven and a little while later I smelled the most rancid fat smell down in the basement. I came upstairs and the smell was worse and asked him if the roast was bad. He said that it was and that when he put it in the oven he thought is smelled a little off but was not sure because his nose was stuffed up. :lol:

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
I came upstairs and the smell was worse and asked him if the roast was bad. He said that it was and that when he put it in the oven he thought is smelled a little off but was not sure because his nose was stuffed up. :lol:

So sorry for the bad roast!!!

Roda Rising Star
So sorry for the bad roast!!!

It bothered him not me. The kids and I were perfectly happy eating my soup. We had such a fun day it didn't matter.

Archived