This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Major Allergies, What Do I Eat?

Cessairskye

Cessairskye Newbie

Doctors have finally decided to listen to me that food is my biggest health issue. After allergy testing it turns out that not only do I have Celiacs but an allergy to wheat, rice, oats, most all fruits, carrots, celery, cucumber, shrimp, walnuts, peanuts, almonds and a few other goodies. I also have an intollerance to anything with sugar in it, even a small amount of sucrose gives me a wicked headache.

I love my steamed veggies, lean meats, salmon, eggs, beans and potatoes but am seeing an issue in my near future of being bored with my diet. For those of you that live grain free or have an allergy to most fruits do you have any suggestions? I love snack foods (i'm a full time student and need snack stuff for school) but am running out of options and don't really have tons of cash to spend on expensive snacks at whole foods (found crackers that are good but are $7 a box).

If you have any faves to share I'd love to hear about them!

Skye

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jean'sBrainonGluten Newbie

Hard boiled eggs and hard cheeses are pretty portable. There are gluten free potato chips that would be portable and satisfy the snack craving. There are recipes for making your own jerky at home in your oven so then you could have portable, snackable meat for yourself. You may find that as your body heals you can try to reintroduce foods but that's probably a year off. If you can list exactly what you can eat I would be happy to try to work on ideas with you and I expect others might join in.

Hope this helps.

Cessairskye Newbie

I didn't even think about hard boiled eggs :-) yum. I was thinking about trying to make my own vegetable chips too.

Foods I can eat...

Any meats with the exception of shrimp

Potatoes, yams etc

beans

all veggies cooked

raw veggies I can do romaine, butter, green or red leaf lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower

eggs

Thats as far as I have gotten so far on what I know for sure I CAN eat.

missy'smom Collaborator

If breads are a challenge, you can use the leaf lettuce in place of a bun, bread, etc. for sandwiches, tacos, fish tacos, burgers etc. Just pick a leaf that will hold your fillings and wrap it up. For sandwiches and tacos I fill it along the rib. For burgers, I fold it in half the other way, breaking the rib a bit.

Bean salads are nice and portable.

Do you have problems with seasonings/condiments like mustard, mayo, pepper, lemon etc.?

SLB5757 Enthusiast

So sorry to hear you are having trouble finding out what foods to eat. I am in the same boat as you with the multiple allergies. I have tested positive (4++) to Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oats, Soy, Corn, Potato, Tomato, Beans, Carrots, Most Nuts, Most fruits, just too many to list ;( I was told by my allergist that eliminating the gluten may resolve the others in time. The raw fruits and veggies are due to oral allergy syndrome, and I can handle most things if they are cooked (but what fruits do you really cook?). I also eat potatoes, corn, beans and stuff with soy in it even though it said I was highly allergic. You just cant eliminate everything when you have over 30 allergies. Best thing is to eliminate the gluten and do a rotation style diet until you heal. If you eat say a potato, do not have it again for another four days...and definitely do not have two allergic things in the same setting. The only think I am more anaphylactic to is the wheat and carrots - so besides those I just do not eat the foods I tested positive for within a few days from one another. I do still have tummy troubles daily, but they are 85% better than it was before I changed my eating habits.

What I DO eat usually since I am at work from 8-4 every day and on the go afte that:

Rice (although I see you are allergic...I don't think my doc tested that for me)

Potatoes (baked/microwaved)

Grilled lean hamburger (like 90/10)....never lower than that and some steamed veggies

gluten-free sausage crumbles and gluten-free cheese over a baked potato

gluten-free turkey burgers and steamed veggies and potato or rice

Peaches (only fruit I eat that doesn't make me itch or give me bumps on my lips)

Pamelas gluten-free cookies for a treat

Glutino pretzles for a snack

Kinnickinick breads/chocolate chip muffins (all premade)

Tinkyada pastas (rice)....but I know they make corn pastas as well so you could use that

Corn tortillas (gluten-free) to wrap up some boars head lunch meats and cheeses or other gluten-free lunch meat)

I just seem to eat alot of extra lean meats, rice or potato, the gluten-free pastas with butter and parmesean, and a steamed veggie. The only fruit I ever eat is peaches in a cup. I am not allergic to eggs, but they seem to be a little harder for me to digest. I still have them on weekends, but couldn't see starting my day off with them during the week bc I don't wanna risk any discomfort at all while at work. My local store (small town) has alot of gluten-free premade meals by Vans and Amys Kitchen but they seem way too pricey for me to invest in right now. As a treat I would do that though. I know there are waffles and pancakes by vans that I have bought but I think they are high in soy and seem to make me a lil itchy.

In the beginning, like I am right now, I am desperately trying to stick with food I cook myself at night and take to work. I try not to eat the processed foods anymore because that was the last thing that seemed to make me sick. Things like Cool Ranch Doritos, Munchos, Fruity Pebbles, Butterfingers, M&M's....all are gluten-free but still made my tummy hurt bc I am still healing the damage. Cut WAY down on dairy/lactose in the beginning as well. You will benefit from it I am sure. Hopefully eating bland and just a few things for a while will clear up some of our other allergies....good luck!!!

Just remember u are not alone. I went to the bank yesterday and somehow got on this topic. Come to find out the processor was also gluten free and had MULTIPLE allergies as well. She was about to get married and was just filling me in on how bad it had gotten and how far she has come. There is hope ;)

Jean'sBrainonGluten Newbie

So to summarize and add to the suggestions I see here

Hard boiled eggs,

wraps using lettuce (or I saw one recipe for a spinach egg tortilla) to hold edibles like a sandwich or pita

individual serving size cans of fruits (if you can tolerate them) You could make a preserve like fruit compote....?

homemade jerky or other dried meat

bean salads

cheese if you tolerate it.

Since you list potato you could make lasagna with potato subbing for the noodles, then put in in individual size containers to carry with you. It means baking on the weekend but so do many of these ideas

Good Luck!

SLB5757 Enthusiast
So to summarize and add to the suggestions I see here

Hard boiled eggs,

wraps using lettuce (or I saw one recipe for a spinach egg tortilla) to hold edibles like a sandwich or pita

individual serving size cans of fruits (if you can tolerate them) You could make a preserve like fruit compote....?

homemade jerky or other dried meat

bean salads

cheese if you tolerate it.

Since you list potato you could make lasagna with potato subbing for the noodles, then put in in individual size containers to carry with you. It means baking on the weekend but so do many of these ideas

Good Luck!

I always just thought Lasagna was out of the question. I love potatos - never thought of making it with potatoes - thanks for that idea. Thanks!!

I have been sticking to grilled lean meats and steamed veggies. Would love some variation that isn't too veggie and fruit heavy since I have so many allergies. This would be a goo done to try.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

If you like lasagna this Stuffed Pepper casserole is excellent. First there is no stuffing of the peppers, they are chopped. My dh hates peppers; red, yellow, green, doesn't matter he hates them but loves this casserole. I make this with red, yellow and orange peppers because they have a less bitter taste than green peppers. I use extra peppers because I love them.

Stuffed Pepper Casserole

Serves : 4 Prep. Time : 1:15

1 Lb. ground beef OR turkey

2 Tbls. chopped onion

1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 cup cooked rice

1 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. garlic salt (1/4 tsp. garlic powder instead)

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 tsp. dried basil

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

(2) 8 oz. cans tomato sauce (I used 1 15 oz. can Contadina Zesty Tomato Sauce)

3 med. green bell peppers - seeded, sliced lengthwise

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and added it to the meat mixture with the rice , then topped it with 1/2 cup of cheddar during the last 5 minutes.)

Directions:

-Brown meat, onion, and chopped peppers in skillet, stirring occasionally.

-Drain off fat.

-Stir in rice, salt, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, basil and 1 can of tomato sauce( or 1/2 can of zesty tomato sauce)and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; heat through.

-Spray a 9" X 9" X 3" baking pan with cooking spray and line with 1/2 the sliced peppers.

-Pour half of meat mixture over peppers.

-Layer remaining sliced peppers on top of meat mixture.

-Pour remaining meat mixture on top.

-Pour remaining tomato sauce over meat mixture.

-Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

-Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.-Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.

For photo and recipe, thank you Lisa:

Open Original Shared Link

missy'smom Collaborator

Lasagne can be made with zucchini or eggplant cut in thin slices lengthwise to replace the noodles. Brush with olive oil and season and broil or roast to get it browned then layer with cheeses or sauce-use a cream sauce if tomato is out, or look up a recipe for roasted red pepper sauce as another alternative. I've made roll ups along the same lines with the eggplant and stuffed with cheeses, spinach etc. and topped with sauce.

Cessairskye Newbie

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! I used lettuce to make my sandwich on "deli sammie night" and it was so nice to be eating along the same lines of what the guys were eating (hubby and sons). We are having burrito night (a total fave around here) and I'm using lettuce leaves again for my wrap I'm sooo excited!!

Again thanks everyone! :lol:

Archived