ChopperT

Walmart Chicken Breats?

Rate this topic

We recently noticed that the Great Value chicken breasts no longer state that they are gluten free. The little chicken wings do.

Anyone know why this is?

Any good recommendations for chicken breasts? I'm pretty sure Purdue is gluten-free, any others? We have only Walmart, Target, Publix, and Sweetbay in the immediate area. We are extremely budget conscious, which is why we enjoyed the Great Value chicken.

Thanks!

I buy those all the time and haven't had any problems. I've noticed since their new packaging, many of the things that said gluten-free no longer does. I don't know why other than perhaps since the US doesn't have clear guidelines for stating things are gluten-free, perhaps by not saying it gives them less worry about sue-happy people claiming they were glutened by something claiming to be gluten-free. It's so hard for us to know ourselves exactly what glutens us at times and a big company like Walmart is an easy target sometimes. Perhaps someone should call and find out why the labeling changes.

I noticed there is "chicken broth" on the ingredients label. Don't remember that ever being there before. Could have been, though. I ended up paying several dollars more for the only bag without broth or other additives.

I can't guarantee this, but the broth was almost certainly there before. The chicken almost certainly is the same as before, but Walmart has decided to stop putting gluten-free on things pending some sort of ruling as to what constitutes gluten-free. I have yet to find a raw unflavored (meaning no spices or sauces added) chicken that has gluten. I'd buy it without hesitation.

It's not the first GV product to have the gluten-free label removed, and I don't think it will be the last either. I don't know why they're doing it, but they are. I've always used Tyson chicken breasts without problems.