Rate this topic

This company labels their teas "gluten free." From the list of gluten free foods I reference, tea is naturally gluten free. Does this imply other teas are not gluten free? Isn't this like slapping no cholesterol on peanut butter--never had it to begin with? Misleading to celiac sufferers or helpful? Asking as a Registered Dietitian.

My understanding of the rules is that it is considered misleading, and thus not permitted, to label something that is inherently gluten-free as "gluten-free". But the wording and positioning play a role. You can say things like "Tea is gluten-free," or "Our tea, like all tea, is gluten-free," or "Tea is naturally gluten-free." But simply labeling it as "Gluten-Free Tea" would be misleading and not permitted.

Edited to add that this is based on regulations in Canada and the USA, and may not apply to other jurisdictions.

Edited by psawyer

Do you mean plain tea? Or flavored teas? I recall rumors that some teas have been flavored with barley which would make them NOT gluten-free.

totally fair to label a flavored tea gluten free, as flavored teas CAN contain gluten. (many, many do not, but they can.)