Rate this topic

I recently posted a chocolate sugar cookie recipe so I thought why not make them into Oreos...it can be done! It worked!!

Gluten Free Oreos

In saucepan melt together:

4 T. butter (shortening should work)

2 T. dark chocolate chips

Remove pan from heat and stir in:

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark baking cocoa

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Then stir in:

1 egg

Mix well and stir in:

1 cup gluten-free flour mix (I used sorghum, tapioca and cornstarch)

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

dash of salt

Mix well. Put pan in fridge to chill dough. (My dough was rock hard so I just spooned it out like hard ice cream and it softened fast so don't worry about it)

When dough is not sticky, roll into 1" balls (I got 36). Place balls onto cookie sheet. Press dough with a glass to flatten. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 7-10 minutes. Let cool and frost with stuffing.

Stuffing:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup Spectrum shortening

1/2 tsp. vanilla

2 tsp. hot water

Beat together with a mixer until fluffy. Frost and sandwich 2 cookies together.

You might try tinting with green or red food coloring and add some mint flavoring to make holiday Oreos. I didn't have any mint to try it :( Enjoy!

Use unfrosted cookies for pie crust crumbs, I would try it but I would need to make a new batch :ph34r:

Just a thought: the cookies may absorb moisture from the frosting and get soft so you may want to frost a few at a time. Store unused frosting in a covered container.

wow..thanks for a great recipe..will try it soon with my kids..i was wondering though that if you frost the cookie...and do the oreo thing...then serve immediately right???or can it survive at room temperature or fridge..i am still learning....and would appreciate you sharing ur experience...bless this forum....bye :D

wow..thanks for a great recipe..will try it soon with my kids..i was wondering though that if you frost the cookie...and do the oreo thing...then serve immediately right???or can it survive at room temperature or fridge..i am still learning....and would appreciate you sharing ur experience...bless this forum....bye :D

am a complete idiot..you already answered my query at the bottom of your post....maybe should think about reading glasses..lol... :lol:

Cookies for breakfast experiment (yummy taste test) :P

I frosted some cookies and kept in a container. The cookies I didn't flatten with a glass are softer but they were before I frosted them. The cookies I flattened with a glass were still crunchy. The unfrosted cookies in the same container still had a crunch. Shortening might give them a better crunch. Baking them an extra minute could help too.

Have fun experimenting!!!