Rate this topic

Hi, I am new here. My daughter Kira has JRA and was diagnosed yesterday with Celiac disease. I was wondering if any other parents have seen a decrease in JRA symptoms on a gluten free diet? Kira's knee joints were so inflamed, but the doctors are not that encouraging and are warning us that the diet change may not help her JRA at all. Any help would be great! I need to believe this change will help her!

Thanks,

S

My son was dx with JRA before his dx of celiac disease, due to grossly inflamed finger joints and ankles so swollen he walked with a pronounced limp. (It was the limp that first sent us to the doctor) Several peds rheumy visits, solid test results, and started on NSAIDS, he then began his celiac crisis and was dx (12 weeks or so after JRA) with celiac too.

Once gluten free, stabilized, and healthy, (about 6 months) all his "jra" symptoms disappeared and the diagnosis was realized to be incorrect. All his symptoms were severe untreated celiac disease. They have not returned in the 6 years he's been gluten-free.

Wow, that is incredible. My daughter had a lot of fluid drained from her knees and responded well to Methotrexate, so I am not sure she was misdiagnosed, I am pretty sure she has JRA as well, but it is my hope that once she is Gluten Free her JRA will be much more controlled. Thanks for sharing your story.