LisaaaNoel

gluten-free Flour For A Roux?

Rate this topic

I was wondering what flour you use to make a roux or to thicken things? I would prefer one that is inexpensive...

Also, what about a gluten-free flour that can be used as a binder in something like potato pancakes?

Thanks

Unfortunately I'm trying to stay away from corn at the moment. :( But thanks for the suggestion anyways..I probably should have noted that in my post.

I was wondering what flour you use to make a roux or to thicken things? I would prefer one that is inexpensive...

Also, what about a gluten-free flour that can be used as a binder in something like potato pancakes?

Thanks

I use potato starch--you could also use a rice flour mix of whatever you bake with.

I like a mix of white rice flour, sweet rice flour, potato starch, and cornstarch. You could substitute tapioca starch for the cornstarch. I do 1 cup rice flour/1/2 cup potato starch/1/2 cup cornstarch.

Unfortunately I'm trying to stay away from corn at the moment. :( But thanks for the suggestion anyways..I probably should have noted that in my post.

Hi, I make roux all the time. For gravy, soups, etc. I use sweet rice flour. You can get it in the Asian section of some supermarkets... off the top of my head the brand is Micheko. (I'm not home right now.) Regular rice flour is too gritty for me.

For mexican foods or curries I use garbanzo bean flour. It is more substantial but you wouldn't want to use it in something that has a mild flavor.

Sometimes I just use Bob's Red Mill flour mix if I'm in a hurry. I've also used sorghum with good results.

For potato pancakes, I'd use a mix of potato starch (not potato flour) and sorghum or rice (any kind). That's what I've seen used in gnocchi recipies.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks

I second the use of sweet rice flour for a roux. Works brilliantly.