ciavyn

gluten-free Cake Mixes And Pumpkin

Rate this topic

One of my favorite treats when not gluten free was pumpkin pie and cake mix, throw it in a cake pan, and voila - a yummy, brownie like treat. So I tried it with Betty Crocker's gluten-free cake mix, devil's food cake. Interesting results. It tastes more like a store bought brownie - very firm and fudgy, with a spongy finish, but also very dense. Not as moist, but that is to be expected. I topped it with icing, and my kids loved it. Never knew it was gluten free. I like it, though it is very rich. I'd like to try the same with white cake mix and see what happens.

Update: even better chilled in the fridge. Tastes like a piece of doughy fudge, very moist, with an uber-rich icing.

How much pumpkin do you add to the mix? Do you adjust the amount for the smaller gluten free mixes. I am right to assume you are not adding any other ingredients ~ just the pumpkin. I have been making myself crazy trying to eliminate the top 8 and gluten for my daughter and you just add pumpkin.

I used Betty's Crocker's Chocolate Cake Mix and one 15 ounce can of pure pumpkin. Then I frosted it with Pillsbury's chocolate cream cheese frosting. It's not the same as gluten cake, so to speak, as it is very dense, but chilled, with a coating of frosting, it's pretty darn tasty. And it's so easy to make. It comes out thick and weird looking when you dump it in the pan, and it bakes into whatever shape you left it in, because it is so thick. But dang...with a good frosting, I'll do this every time.