G-freegal12

Gingerbread Cookie House?

Rate this topic

My family and I used to buy storebought gingerbread houses. I now need to make a gluten free version. :lol:

Do you have a Betty Crocker cookbook? I use the gingerbread cookie recipe from there and just substitute gluten-free flour. Make sure there is plenty of xanthan gum in it and it mixes up nicely. I've been doing this for 7-8 years and it works great. I got the dimensions for the house online. The trickiest part is cutting the raw cookie dough into the right sized pieces. You might need to trim a bit after baking.

A trick I use to keep the house together is to cut cereal boxes into the same sizes and shapes and then frost the cookie pieces to them. Then assemble the house. It makes the house stay together nicely with no sagging roof.

Good luck!

:( Lonewolf, I don't exactly have a gingerbread house recipie. :unsure: Before I had ceiliac, we would just buy a premade house and assemble it... :ph34r:

My family and I used to buy storebought gingerbread houses. I now need to make a gluten free version. :lol:

This is my gingerbread men recipe that has been converted to gluten free. I haven't tried to make a house with the gluten free version, but always used this recipe to make a house with. I would make a double recipe. One recipe would make the house (I rolled it much thicker than for the boy cutout and baked it for double the time. Do keep an eye on them, especially the smaller bits they may need to come out earlier.)

Gingerbread Boys

Dry Ingredients

2 1/2 cups white rice flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 large egg

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1/3 cup molasses

1. In a medium medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 30 seconds. Mixture will be a thick paste. Use medium-high speed on a stand mixer. (This recipe makes a large batch of dough. It might be too big for some small hand held mixers.)

3. Add egg and cream for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the molasses. Cream for 20 seconds or until light and fluffy.

4. Turn off the mixer and add the dry ingredients. Turn mixer to low speed to incorporate the dry ingredients. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix until a dough forms.

5. Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a round, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.

6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

7. Roll out dough on a white rice floured surface. Dough should be about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.

8. Bake for 10 to 16 minutes. Bake time will vary depending on the size of your cookie cutter. My 3-inch gingerbread boy took 12 minute to bake and my 6-inch gingerbread man took 16 minutes.

9. Remove pan from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the pan for 3 minutes. Then, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes four dozen 3-inch gingerbread boys.