This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Makeup For My Daughter & Gluten Moods?

Benshell

Benshell Explorer

My daughter is only 6, but loved playing dressup and make up before being diagnosed with celiac a few months ago. I have heard here and there that celiacs have to use gluten free makeup. Can someone explain this to me? I thought she only needed to worry about ingesting gluten. I can understand about lipstick or gloss b/c its on the mouth, but why the rest of the stuff (eyeliner, blush)..same for shampoo's too. I just don't understand it. I put makeup on her for her shows/receitals. What about perfume?

Any suggestions on what makeup's I can get her for now (dress up) and in another 7 years when she wants to wear makeup?

Seems all the dress up companies makeup is made in china (which scares me anyway) and I can't find any ingredients)

Also, on another topic, can someone explain to me "gluten moods". So far (thankfully) I don't think my daughter has been glutened. But I keep reading about these mood swings kids are going thru. Is this regular celiac behavior or only when kids are glutened? what should I look for? is there any physiological symptoms too?

thanks.

michele

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yup Apprentice
My daughter is only 6, but loved playing dressup and make up before being diagnosed with celiac a few months ago. I have heard here and there that celiacs have to use gluten free makeup. Can someone explain this to me? I thought she only needed to worry about ingesting gluten. I can understand about lipstick or gloss b/c its on the mouth, but why the rest of the stuff (eyeliner, blush)..same for shampoo's too. I just don't understand it. I put makeup on her for her shows/receitals. What about perfume?

Any suggestions on what makeup's I can get her for now (dress up) and in another 7 years when she wants to wear makeup?

Seems all the dress up companies makeup is made in china (which scares me anyway) and I can't find any ingredients)

Also, on another topic, can someone explain to me "gluten moods". So far (thankfully) I don't think my daughter has been glutened. But I keep reading about these mood swings kids are going thru. Is this regular celiac behavior or only when kids are glutened? what should I look for? is there any physiological symptoms too?

thanks.

michele

Hey Michele,

I was diagnosed back in March and changed my makeup because of skin irritation. I went to a MAC store and they gave me great customer service, and spent the time looking up what everything contained. Now I have lipstick, foundation, eye liner and mascara. I love the products. Hope this is helpful.

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter is 11 now but she has always used adult makeup for recitals and even dressup, although for the most part she doesn't use it. I found that the kid's makeup stained. She has a wheat allergy and is also allergic to peanuts and almonds so I have to read all labels. She has contact allergies. But keep in mind that anything that goes on the face, body or hair can get in the mouth. All it takes is for you to touch that part and then touch your mouth. Or in the shower, that stuff can drip in your mouth.

My daughter usually wears Revlon, Cover Girl or Maybelline makeups. She does have some NYC eye shadow. She needs specific colors for recital so that limits what we can buy.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I use Everyday Minerals, but they might be more of a mess since they're mostly powders, but you can order a 5 piece sampler from their website for free-just a tiny bit for shipping.

Caitlin Newbie

I have been diagnosed with Celiac since February 2006 but i use Mary Kay makeup, although it is a little more expensive it is really great make up and almost all of their products are gluten free. They have a variety of skincare products also.

Regarding the Celiac moods, whenever i got glutened it depends on how much i ingest. I can get really sleepy and kind of loopy, for example it will seem like i am almost drunk, slurring my words and forgetting a lot. I also get really emotional and will get frustrated and upset over the smallest things. Not sure how other people react to it but other times i get glutened and end up in the ER and get pumped with morphine

ChemistMama Contributor

For sure she should use gluten-free lipgloss/stick, I use Burt's Bees lip shimmer. You'll have to check labels and contact companies to find which are gluten-free (I'm not a lipstick wearer so I don't know!)

I use gluten-free makeup because my son is also celiac, and if he kisses me he'll get glutened if I don't use gluten-free makeup! For a 6 year old, I would also choose makeup...if you think about it, powders can get into your eyes and mouth (ingestion!) which is bad. Kids smear their hands all over their faces, so any foundation could also get into their mouth. Same with shampoos, when haven't you seen a kid try to eat the bubbles, or rinse their hair and accidentally get bubbles near her mouth? Better safe than sorry.

You need to watch for any ingredient containing the word 'wheat', or 'starch' or tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E), which can also be made from wheat. I've had luck with cover girl, that would probably be the cheapest for you. as for perfume, I haven't heard of any wheat in perfume, but if you want to be safe, spray it on a cotton ball before you apply it, that way she isn't breathing in any perfume vapor when you spray it.

Here's a list of some manufacturers:

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star
I use Everyday Minerals, but they might be more of a mess since they're mostly powders, but you can order a 5 piece sampler from their website for free-just a tiny bit for shipping.

These are not the best for use on stage though. The lights can make them look powdery and the colors usually aren't intense enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

thanks.

michele

Normally, make-up is not a problem except for anything which goes on the lips. Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin so it's a choice issue. However, since your daughter is only 6 years old, it would be almost impossible for her to understand the need to not ingest any make-up through her mouth

so if it were my child, I would definitely go gluten-free on everything. From what I understand, there are many choices for gluten-free make-up so it should be pretty easy

to find something that works for her.

Archived