Coleslawcat

Soy Flour

Rate this topic

I was just diagnosed with celiac last week and am now trying to eat gluten free. My parents bought me 2 bags of soy flour. In all of the gluten free baking and cooking websites and books I've looked at since then none of them mention using soy flour as a substitute. Does it have a purpose in gluten free baking that isn't better accomplished by another flour? Thanks.

A man by the name of George Stella writes cookbooks for those following an Atkins/South Beach style diet, and he recommends using soy flour. Many of his recipes are very easily converted or are already gluten free. You may want to check those out.

As one who has to go to great lengths to avoid soy flour, I seem to find it in just about everything! Supposedly, in gluten free baking it improves texture and gives a better crust. But since I don't use it, I don't know.

I usually use it in place of recipes that call for bean flours since I don't like the taste of those. I really can't taste the soy and I think it has a higher protein content than rice flour. Just like any gluten-free flour, I wouldn't use soy alone, but in combo with rice, tapioca, sorghum, etc.