arkris

Wheat Germ Oil In Cosmetics

Rate this topic

This is my first post on this forum. My wife has Celiac's, was diagnosed 1 yr ago and has been gluten-free ever since. In my Christmas shopping I bought her Dead Sea Body Salt Scrub, only after asking if it had any ingredients that might contain gluten. The sales associate thought it was safe and I apparently didn't check the ingredient label closely enough, because it was not until I had brought it home that I noticed that it contains Wheat Germ Oil.

I know Wheat Germ Oil can contain varying levels of gluten depending on the manufacturing process, and I am hoping to hear back from the company (Deep Sea Cosmetics) soon as to gluten testing in their products.

I was wondering, however, if this is really a problem in a dermally applied product (used on skin only). Has anyone used these or similar products with positive or negative results? Thanks in advance for your feedback, this forum is an incredible resource!!

Robert

Well...wheat germ oil is not safe to ingest so if there's a chance it will get in her mouth at some point then it may be an issue. I personally don't use products with any gluten containing ingredients because I just don't want to chance it. I've tasted soap and shampoo way more than I care to admit. :)

Guest backboneexecutives
This is my first post on this forum. My wife has Celiac's, was diagnosed 1 yr ago and has been gluten-free ever since. In my Christmas shopping I bought her Dead Sea Body Salt Scrub, only after asking if it had any ingredients that might contain gluten. The sales associate thought it was safe and I apparently didn't check the ingredient label closely enough, because it was not until I had brought it home that I noticed that it contains Wheat Germ Oil.

I know Wheat Germ Oil can contain varying levels of gluten depending on the manufacturing process, and I am hoping to hear back from the company (Deep Sea Cosmetics) soon as to gluten testing in their products.

I was wondering, however, if this is really a problem in a dermally applied product (used on skin only). Has anyone used these or similar products with positive or negative results? Thanks in advance for your feedback, this forum is an incredible resource!!

Robert

Robert,

What a thoughtful person you are to double check and for being so understanding. It depends on the person really. I have reactions even on the skin. I had a shampoo and before being diagnosed I noticed my head would itch and burn I stopped using it and went to a more natural shampoo but sometimes I would still be irritated. Later, I found out it was the wheat germ. It all depends on the person and how sensitive they are to it.

Robert,

I am so proud of you for checking! If it was me, no, I would not be able to use it. I break out in skin rashes if a product has gluten. Some people do not have the skin reactions.

Welcome to the gluten free world. You will be surprised where that gluten is hiding.

Let your wife know that she is a lucky woman to have your support with living gluten free.