Coleslawcat

Expandex And Carol Fenster 1000 Gluten Free Recips

Rate this topic

I just learned I have celiac last week and a friend gave me Carol Fenster's "1000 Gluten-Free Recipes" book. The book looks great, as it has recipes for just about everything. I was able to track down all the flours used in the book at Whole Foods. The only problem is I can't find Expandex anywhere. Does anyone know where to buy it? Is it worth using? Is this a good gluten free cookbook? Is the sorghum blend she uses good? Would I be better off using Tom Sawyer flour?

I'm sorry I have so many questions, but I was a baker and desperately want to figure out how to keep baking, and hopefully keep baking goodies everyone will still love.

I have that cookbook and love it. As with anything, there's stuff that I do differently, but that's what recipes are for, right? To get you started.

The mix is great, and I've never used expandex, mostly because I've never been able to find it. I just put extra starch in when she calls for expandex... haven't noticed any difference. It's just modified tapioca starch. I've made her cakes, muffins, etc, and I've made some really good stuff. It's my favorite flour blend thus far... even perfected the pizza dough recipe. Love it!

I have Expandex but I don't notice a difference between Expandex and tapioca starch. You will be fine if you just use tapioca starch, and you will also save yourself a lot of money too! B)