Chell

Why Am I So Cold?

Rate this topic

Since going gluten-free in October of this year I've started to get cold a lot. I used to always be the hot blooded one. Now at home I've always got my blanket around me and at work I've got a jacket on. My blood isn't low or anything so it isn't from that. Is this normal?

After a while I'll get warm and have to toss my blanket to the side but then it won't be long before I'm freezing again. I'm a chunky gal so I'm not frail or anything. I have lost 15 pounds since going gluten-free if that makes any difference. Somehow I don't think that is enough weight to loose to effect my temperature that much.

Thank you.

Just some idle thoughts on this: my girlfriend has been complaining of being hot ever since we've known each other (met in 3rd grade). When we turned 30, she decided to lose weight, and over the last two years has lost over 80 pounds...now she's always freezing. Part of it could be a lack of insulation :D but it may also be that you are eating less, your body is processing less, and therefore not creating as much heat. I've noticed that no matter how much I seem to eat of my gluten free items - whole foods, occasional cookies and snacks that are homemade - I never seem stuffed or over-full. So perhaps it is less digesting going on because your body can do it much easier now.

I don't know - not a doctor, but some of the things she and I have thrown around, because she's always cold at my house! And we keep it at 70.

have you had your iron checked? That's one of the things that can make you cold.

Thanks. They said my iron was good. Maybe I need to have it checked again. I go for my physical in Feb or March and will have her recheck everything then.

About loosing some insulation I didn't think 15 pounds was enough to make a difference, but maybe it is. I don't think I'm eating any less, just not eating the stuff my body can't handle. Hmm... There is so much to figure out right now.

Thank you both for your responses!

Make sure they do a full iron panel--serum iron and ferritin. A H&H isn't enough information for people with celiac.

How about your thyroid?