This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Other Food Intolerances Went Away After Being gluten-free?

Jennifer2

Jennifer2 Explorer

I haven't been able to eat eggs or bananas for close to 10yrs without needing to curl up in a little ball on the couch in pain (SEVERE cramps) for about 4hrs after eating them.

One of my friends asked me if that was related to celiacs, I said no, since both are gluten free. Then we got to thinking that maybe they are just harder to digest and I was having problems with them because of damage to my intestines from the undiagnosed celiac.

So, on a weekend that I had nothing planned, I made myself an omelet. No problems at all. Made myself another omelet the next day-no problems. I've had eggs several times since then with no problems at all, so I'm starting to think that there was something to the egg problem being because of the untreated celiac-I've read that some lactose intolerance will also go away after intestines have healed. I haven't tried bananas yet, but might sometime this week, since I'm off of work and have no real plans.

Has anyone else had food intolerances go away after treating for celiac?

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chasbari Apprentice

This all makes sense to me considering the tips of the villi are where the enzymes to digest casien in dairy are produced. If and when that damage heals it would seem more probable that a dairy intolerance would then go away so why not for other foods as well. Also, if gut permeability is no longer compromised it seems likely that other foods would also be able to be more easily digested. Here's another slant on eggs and bananas as well. I have been practically living on them as I heal and they seem to help in the healing process. If they really do assist the body in healing and the celiac response to gluten in the diet is to disable to the body's ability to ingest gluten and those foods maintain gut health you begin to see the downward spiral and thus the body's need to reject something that would be reinforcing the ability to absorb gluten, hence the self inflicted gt damage. Once the presence of glutens is eradicated there is no danger to the healing process and eggs and bananas are once again good food. I may just be rambling but it sort of makes sense to me. Oddly enough, I need to return to finishing my meal of eggs and fresh fruits including bananas and goat's milk yogurt.

CS

jackay Enthusiast

Jennifer2 how long were you gluten free before you could tolerate eggs and bananas?

I am having such a hard time isolating what is all bothering me. I did finally figure out that my calcium supplement was causing insomnia. Only discovered that by running out and switching to a different kinds. Went back to the original and insomnia started in again. I do feel good that I have finally been able to isolate one thing.

Now as far as my tummy goes, I'm still having trouble. Watching all the relatives eat every thing they wanted over the Christmas holidays was extremely hard. I caved in and ate nuts that I shelled myself. Can't say I am any worse from them. Today I tried some kefir and don't expect that to sit too well. I am guessing I am not healed enough to handle dairy.

It sure does get frustrating!

mushroom Proficient

I have had severe lactose intolerance since 1992. (Didn't know it was a symptom of celiac because I didn't know about celiac :o ) I have been gluten free two years now, and have noticed an increasing tolerance, like I could have a capucchino, and eventually some whipped cream as long as I took Lactaid. Christmas day I used the Lactaid with my cream, last night I decided to do a challenge and had some cream with my raspberries without the Lactaid! Surprise, just a little bit of gassiness, no bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea!!! Yeay :D :D :D

Today I'm heading out to buy me an ice cream cone (will take it with Lactaid though, I think). I have been yearning for ice cream for 17 years, especially the three weeks I spent in Italy with no gelato!!! :( Yesterday was a RED LETTER DAY

missy'smom Collaborator
I am having such a hard time isolating what is all bothering me. I did finally figure out that my calcium supplement was causing insomnia. Only discovered that by running out and switching to a different kinds. Went back to the original and insomnia started in again. I do feel good that I have finally been able to isolate one thing.

Me too. Ditched the calcium and now I'm sleeping much better. It causes muscle tension for me and that caused me to not sleep well. I had noticed that when I did stretches my muscles always felt tight and didn't loosen up with the stretches like they used to a long time ago. I belong to another forum where there has been alot of discussion about magnesium. It is my understanding that such a response to calcium can indicate a magnesium defieciency. It may help to up the magnesium when you take the calcium. You may have to check to see which forms are more absorbable. Some are also more likely to cause loose stools than others-in higher doses. I haven't tried upping mine yet or adding the calcium back with an extra higher magnesium dose. My calcium supplement did contain magnesium but apparently not enough.

Jennifer2 Explorer
Jennifer2 how long were you gluten free before you could tolerate eggs and bananas?

About 6 months. But my main symptom pre-celiac diagnosis was chronic D. I didn't feel sick or in pain, just a major inconvenence. I had a great Dr who tested for a bunch of different things so I think I caught it before too much damage was done.

jackay Enthusiast

I recently had tests run for food and chemical intolerances. I am waiting to see my doctor next month for those results. I'm sure there will be even more dietary limits.

Right now I am taking 2500 mg. calcium citrate daily. My endocronologist said to continue taking that amount until my blood calcium level comes up. I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism back in April. Before the surgery, calcium was being absorbed from my bones and I developed oseopenia. My food (I'm guessing mainily gluten) intolerances are causing absorption problems so my calcium level is very slow in rising to where it should be. Just learning more about malabsorption from food intolerances, they are most likely the cause of my hyperparathyroidism.

At least now with this calcium citrate, I can sleep. I do take magnesium to balance out the calcium.

I am hoping after my bloodwork in January that I can cut down on the amount of calcium that I take and hopefully will feel better. Even with sleep, I feel terrible.

I'm still avoiding eggs but may just give them a try one of these days. They are so quick and easy. I've been eating bananas daily for the convenience. I haven't been able to figure out if they bother me or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast
I recently had tests run for food and chemical intolerances. I am waiting to see my doctor next month for those results. I'm sure there will be even more dietary limits.

Right now I am taking 2500 mg. calcium citrate daily. My endocronologist said to continue taking that amount until my blood calcium level comes up. I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism back in April. Before the surgery, calcium was being absorbed from my bones and I developed oseopenia. My food (I'm guessing mainily gluten) intolerances are causing absorption problems so my calcium level is very slow in rising to where it should be. Just learning more about malabsorption from food intolerances, they are most likely the cause of my hyperparathyroidism.

At least now with this calcium citrate, I can sleep. I do take magnesium to balance out the calcium.

I am hoping after my bloodwork in January that I can cut down on the amount of calcium that I take and hopefully will feel better. Even with sleep, I feel terrible.

I'm still avoiding eggs but may just give them a try one of these days. They are so quick and easy. I've been eating bananas daily for the convenience. I haven't been able to figure out if they bother me or not.

Jackay,

Have you tried a very basic elimination diet? It's very limited, and you get bored, but it sure does make you feel better when you figure our what is bothering you!

jststric Contributor

Hmmmm, I was lactose intolerant 15 yrs before my glutens kicked in. I have recently noticed I can have a bite or two of certain kinds of cheeses wihout much repurcussion. But my major symptom is severe itching in private places. I would LOVE to try eggs again and see if I could do them occasionally too!!!! I miss them so much!!!!!

haleym Contributor
Hmmmm, I was lactose intolerant 15 yrs before my glutens kicked in. I have recently noticed I can have a bite or two of certain kinds of cheeses wihout much repurcussion. But my major symptom is severe itching in private places. I would LOVE to try eggs again and see if I could do them occasionally too!!!! I miss them so much!!!!!

I remember that when my gluten problems were coming to a head I could not even have yoghurt without some repercussion. Now I can have straight milk in smaller quantities a couple times a week without too much issues. I just think I am a slow lactase producer and have to pace myself with the dairy now.

• 2 weeks later...
BigDogz Explorer

I've been gluten-free since May '09...although I will admit to giving in to temptation (why does pizza and General Tso's chicken have to taste so good?) a handful of times before I had an especially bad reaction in early Oct. and came to my senses. Since then, I've been committed to being on a strict gluten-free diet.

I had a horrible history with dairy and fresh vegetables before going gluten-free. Within a month of initially going gluten-free back in May, I was able to eat salad without it going through me in a matter of a couple of hours. Dairy still tends to be an issue with me. I do well with cheeses, milk that's added to a cooked recipe and even containers of yogurt. Cups of pudding, ice cream, milk as a drink and milk in un-cooked recipes continues to cause problems. I don't have the bad gas, cramps and diarrhea I used to get with dairy, but I do get a gnawing pain in my stomach. The gnawing pain is particularly bad if I ingest dairy just before bed and don't eat again until morning.

On my testing, I reacted to casein about half as bad as I did to gluten. I've not eliminated it from my diet to this point because I felt eliminating dairy and gluten-containing foods at once would be overwhelming and I'd give up on both. Will continuing to ingest dairy cause damage like it would if I continued to eat gluten? If not, would taking a Lactaid help curb the gnawing pain until my body heals enough to deal with dairy without the pain?

Archived