1 1
boysmom

Has Anyone Found They Can Overcome Nightshade Sensitivity After Healing?

Rate this topic

Once I got the gluten out of my system, I became aware of a similar, but slightly milder, reaction to nightshade vegetables. I am avoiding them (mostly) but feeling the loss of tomatoes and bell peppers even more than wheat. I'm wondering whether this is an outright allergy, another sensitivity or intolerance, or just being unable to digest them at this stage of healing. I've been gluten-free since the beginning of June and the only other sensitivities I've noticed so far seem to be manageable on a rotation schedule (ie as long as I only eat them every 3 days or so I don't have a problem). I did have to limit corn and rice for the first few months, but haven't noticed any problem with those for a while. So can anyone offer me hope that one day I will be able to eat tomatoes again? If so, how long did it take you to heal enough to eat them safely?

The nightshades are a bit of a puzzlement to me. I initially gave them up because I knew they were inflammatory and I was concerned about my RA. Giving up bell peppers was easy because they never had sat well with me (I hated fajitas!) and I have not really missed eggplant, although strangely enough ratatouille used to be one of my signature dishes. So I kinda mostly gave up potatoes and tomatoes, definitely canned tomatoes, tomato paste, etc.. Then one night I had half my husband's baked potato and woke up at 4:00 a.m. with extreme all-over itchies. I repeated the experiment a few days later with the same result so that did it for potatoes too. I then realized I was still eating potato starch and had always had residual itching so gave that up. All my itching went away. That leaves tomatoes. I am able to eat two or three slices of raw tomato in a BLT without any repercussions. But if I even attempt a small sample of cooked tomato I get the bloats and gas big-time. I don't know if it is something to do with cooking the lycopene--I read it gets transformed into trans lycopene and whether that's what does it, or whether it's just because cooked tomato tends to be more concentrated, but I can't handle it at all. I can handle some chili, paprika, a little cooked red pepper, no problem with McCormick's taco seasoning. Have never challenged eggplant. That's just my personal experience. I know it's hard living without the tomato sauces but I have adjusted. Fortunately I can do dairy so my pizzas are big on cheese and pesto and basil, and I do a great white lasagna with bechamel sauce and mushrooms. My name signifies my love of mushrooms and I make lots of mushroomy sauces in place of tomato.

Hi,

I have successfully put tomatoes back in for 2 years now (didn't have any nightshades for about 2 and 1/2 years) with success. Occasionally, I'll have a little bit of white potato but they still bother me a bit. Potato chips don't (??!!!!!) but I can't find a company without cross-contamination! I sometimes eat red peppers as well.

I'm highly sensitive to gluten and still eat no soy as well.

lisa

Thanks, Lisa, that is promising that patience may pay off.

Neroli, it looks to me (from your sig info) like you're still fairly recently off nightshades as well? So maybe after some more time you will be able to add a limited amount back in.

I first noticed that potatoes caused abdominal bloating shortly after eating, and overall water retention and joint irritation/inflammation by the next morning. As time went on I began to react similarly to tomatoes and peppers and I had a really BAD experience with a plate of eggplant and zucchini very early in my gluten-free life (don't think I like eggplant enough in the first place to make it worth risking that again). As I thought back I remembered that I have in the past had D and cramps with green peppers occasionally, which I had blamed on the wax the groceries shined them with. It didn't happen every time I ate them, but I only remember it happening with raw green peppers. One of my gluten symptoms is that in the night I begin to feel short of breath and my heart rate speeds up a little and feels like my heart is pounding out of my chest... so much so that I can see my stomach jump and hear my heart in my ears. With nightshades I have a much milder version that I can usually ignore and go back to sleep, whereas with gluten I will be up for a couple of hours before it settles enough I can sleep.

I would probably ignore a little stomach irritation and even the heart pounding, but the 3 days of joint inflammation and water retention are too much to ignore. I find that now that I'm getting used to feeling good so much of the time I have a very low tolerance for feeling less than optimal. LOL

I am consuming nightshades now but they will probably be next on my list to eliminate. I really rely on them since I have given up so many other foods.

I'm waiting for my food sensitivity test results to come back and am afraid there isn't going to be much left for me to eat. I did try an elimination and rotation diet before I gave up wheat. Didn't get positive results from the diet. At that time had no reaction to gluten, gliadin, eggs, soy or casein. I year later I tested positive for gliadin, eggs, soy and casein. I had a major surgery between tests so that could have messed up my system.

My first food sensitivity test showed a severe intolerance to apples, beet, beet sugar, and safflower. I had a moderate reaction to banana, barley, crab, cranberry, flaxseed, ginger, lobster, spinach, string bean, sunflower and veal. I had a mild reaction to avacado, basil, bay leaf, blackberry, blueberry, broccoli, cocoa, corn, cottonseed, fig, goat's milk, grapefruit, haddock, halibut, lemon, malt, mustard, paprika, pumpkin, radish, salmon, scallop, sole, tomato, walnut.

Right now I am eating some of the foods I reacted to in my first test after I eliminated them the suggested time. I didn't notice a change when I eliminated them nor did I notice a change when I slowly brought them back. The only foods lately I can pinpoint that still bother me are grapefruit and corn. I am currently taking a prescription that has corn starch in it. That may have to go after I get my new test results.

So for now I am not eating gluten, eggs, soy, corn (except for cornstarch in prescription) and grapefruit. I tried dairy for a few days and am going to avoid that again.

I eat lots of fruit, veggies, meat and rice. Fruits are so convenient since don't need to be prepared. If I need to start rotating my foods again, it is going to be even more of a challenge than it was last time. If I start feeling better it will be worth it.

It's been 2 years going gluten free for me (I am soy dairy and nightshade free, carageenan free, and I developed a nasty intolerance to rice in May) And I accidentally ate some organic mayo that had paprika in it and I had an awful reaction. I got all achy and felt really irritable and edgy.

I miss tomatoes more than anything but I am really at the mindset I will never be able to eat them again.

good luck doll!!! :)

I would love to eat a baked potato right now. mmmmmm. :rolleyes: Anyway, I have had joint pain and swelling since I was 7 or 8 years old. The pain has gone down to a manageble level that I don't need Enbrel anymore. I have more movement and flexibility now. But man, If I eat anything i'm not supposed to I can't hardly move in the mornings. It causes my Fibro and RA to really act up and I'm in a lot of pain for the next couple days. So no more nightshades. I hope eventually I will be able to eat a potato or tomato but to me it's not worth the pain.

I reintroduced tomatoes four weeks ago and no problems so far. Went off gluten two years ago and at the time had a really short list of tolerable foods left. I was very allergic to tomatoes back then, tomato juice would make my skin blister within minutes. In a month or two I will try potatoes.

I reintroduced tomatoes four weeks ago and no problems so far. Went off gluten two years ago and at the time had a really short list of tolerable foods left. I was very allergic to tomatoes back then, tomato juice would make my skin blister within minutes. In a month or two I will try potatoes.

Did you know you had a problem with nightshades before going gluten free? I think for most of us we only find out after we get the gluten out of our systems, and then some, like me, take longer to figure it out... :rolleyes:

Did you know you had a problem with nightshades before going gluten free?

Tests done years earlier showed allergies to tomatoes and potatoes. I ate potatoes anyway since I thought I was ok when they were cooked.

For two months after going gluten free I basically only had rice, poultry and supplements. I reintroduced foods one by one then and quickly learned that potatotes and paprika were bad for me at the time.

I've been off all nightshades for some time now, and haven't attempted to try any yet. Not sure if I will. I kinda like the ability to walk far more than the taste of any of them :lol:

However, I do believe that with sufficient healing of the intestines, the toxic alkaloids wouldn't so easily get into the bloodstream, and therefore should be less of a problem. I just don't think I'm at that stage yet. An allergy or intolerance would be another matter though, and in that case one might not be able to eat them again.

But if you miss potatoes, try taro root. It has a white, starchy inside, just like potato. It's slightly sweeter, and I think it's more flavorful than potato. Some say the flavor has a slight hint of water chestnut. It can be used in virtually any way that a potato can, including baked, fried, mashed, etc. I even made taro chips, and they where wonderfully tasty and crispy. But I don't recommend eating the skin. Also, handle the raw root with rubber gloves if you have sensitive skin. There are apparently oxalate crystals, which may be irritating, but cooking destroys them thankfully. Same as with sweet potato, according to what I've read.

In place of tomato sauce, try "Nomato". It's basically carrots and beets, with a few other things to approximate the taste of tomato sauce. I make my own, and it really does taste good. The nice thing is you can adjust the acidity to suit your preference.

BTW, turnips and parsnips work fairly well in many recipes calling for potatoes. Especially soups and stews, where all the flavors mingle together anyway. Both are basically white, and chunks of them in a stew look nearly identical to potato. They end up tasting rather similar to potato too. I've found it not so easy to tell the difference, though one of them (not sure which) is easier to distinguish.

It seems like there's a lot of variation here - I went nightshade free just a few days after going gluten-free. My reaction to potatoes was obvious & not fun! Tomatoes weren't as bad, but they did give me a stomach ache. Several months avoiding tomatoes & peppers did the trick because I can now have limited amounts of tomatoes & peppers. A lot of my issues are related to carb content, so I think that helps explain why I can tolerate the tomatoes & peppers but not the potatoes or potato starch... I haven't even tried eggplant - I don't mind it but I don't love it either, so it really isn't worth trying for me. I will occasionally cheat with a small amount potatoes (not a full serving & certainly not so much as a baked potato - it isn't terrible but I do get gas & bloating. I'm able to sub sweet potatoes (the white ones) and yams (the orange ones) for most potatoes dishes and the only one who protests this is my 6 year old, so I sometimes make mashed potatoes from the flakes just for the family.