rmmadden

Bolthouse Farms

Rate this topic

I was at Whole (Paycheck) Foods yesterday and bought a health drink that is clearly labeled "Gluten Free." Upon further examination this green, anti-oxidant drink contains both wheat grass and barley grass.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Their website says all their drinks are Gluten Free. What is the concencus on consuming wheat grass?

Cleveland Bob B)

Wheat and Barley grass make me just as sick as eating a piece of wheat bread would. Technically they are gluten free but many of us do react.

shoot!!!! I drink this stuff all the time!

sure explains alot though :(

I would not touch these "gluten-free" products. The grass is low in gluten, but not low enough for me. :o

I have wheat allergy in addition to celiac. This past weekend I was talking to a gentleman selling wheat grass who kindly explained to me that "There is no wheat in wheat grass."

I thought you all might see the humor in that. This thread made me laugh reliving that moment. :rolleyes:

I stay far, far away from wheat and barley grass!

I have wheat allergy in addition to celiac. This past weekend I was talking to a gentleman selling wheat grass who kindly explained to me that "There is no wheat in wheat grass."

I thought you all might see the humor in that. This thread made me laugh reliving that moment. :rolleyes:

I stay far, far away from wheat and barley grass!

:o

I don't have the allergy. I wouldn't touch them. Unless I knew someone sat carefully cutting only the grass, making sure no stray seed got in.... Nah! Still wouldn't. Too many other healthy things to add to a drink or eat.

• Upvote 1

I too noticed that Bolthouse Farms labeled their Green Goodness as Gluten Free but contain wheat grass and barley grass. I contacted them and received this response:

Thank you for your interest in Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness. We do our best to provide accurate information so that you can make informed choices in regards to the foods that you put into your body. As you mentioned, this flavor contains wheat and barley grass, which is gluten free. Wheat and barley grasses do not contain gluten, only the seed and chaff of the plant contain the gluten allergen. We require our supplier to provide us with a certificate of analysis on every lot. Their test results have always been negative for gluten. Thank you for your support. We appreciate your business.

So, if you know you react to wheat grass and barley grass I would stay away from it but if it's only the gluten you are concerned about, this product has been tested.

Update: Bolthouse farms now has this on their FAQ site: 

Question: DO YOUR BEVERAGES CONTAIN GLUTEN (A PROTEIN FOUND IN WHEAT AND OTHER GRAINS)?

ANSWER: With the exception of the Green Goodness, Daily Greens, Peach Parfait Breakfast Smoothie and the Strawberry Parfait Breakfast Smoothie, which contain whole grains, all other beverages are gluten-free per FDA guidelines.

http://www.bolthouse.com/faq