This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Syrup Substitute?

Chef16

Chef16 Apprentice

Does anyone know of a good corn syrup substitute? My hope is that there is something simple that you can buy at a store but I'm willing to make one also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I think it depends on how much you are using and what you are making with it. If you don't need much you could try: honey, molasses, maple syrup, light or dark agave nectar. Light agave nectar might be the closest in flavor. I put it in waffles. If making cooked candies the subs may not work...IDK. I don't make much cooked candy, just pb fudge and it only takes a little bit of corn syrup.

Maybe someone else will give you some ideas.

VioletBlue Contributor

I would think it would depend on what you're using it for. I know that most marshmallow recipes call for it, but you can make marshmallows just using sugar. Corn syrup in marshmallows just kind of kicks and speeds up the boiled sugar a bit and helps the texture a little, but they're still quite lovely without it. So I think the answer depends on what you're using it in and why it's in the recipe.

Does anyone know of a good corn syrup substitute? My hope is that there is something simple that you can buy at a store but I'm willing to make one also.
purple Community Regular

Are you allergic to corn?

jackay Enthusiast

Lundberg Family Farms makes gluten free brown rice syrup. I use it on my cream of brown rice cereal daily.

Chef16 Apprentice
I would think it would depend on what you're using it for. I know that most marshmallow recipes call for it, but you can make marshmallows just using sugar. Corn syrup in marshmallows just kind of kicks and speeds up the boiled sugar a bit and helps the texture a little, but they're still quite lovely without it. So I think the answer depends on what you're using it in and why it's in the recipe.

I am actually trying to make marshmallows.

Are you allergic to corn?

No, I am not allergic to corn but I thought it would be interesting to try to make corn-free marshmallows since I can't seem to find any.

VioletBlue Contributor

LOL. Figures :lol:

This is the recipe I used without corn syrup. They were very good. I actually like this recipe better than the one I tried that used corn syrup. It may take longer for the sugar to get to the soft ball stage, that is the only drawback. Keep in mind that powdered sugar usually contains cornstarch, so confectioners sugar is a safer bet if corn is a problem.

Marshmallow

Ingredients

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RDR Apprentice

I picked up some Tapioca Syrup through Allergen Grocer as a Corn Syrup replacement and it works well. I also got Sorghum Syrup to replace Molasses and it also works wonderfully in that respect. I heard the Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup is also gluten-free and Cornfree (the tin canned ones, although the others Golden Syrups they make are said not to be cornfree) but it's hard to come by out this way.

Juliebove Rising Star

Honey works well but might not be the flavor you want.

Archived