Annelet

Is Iga Deficiency Reversible With A Gluten Free Diet?

Rate this topic

I have secretory IgA deficiency which showed up on a saliva sample.

Positive fecal anti-gliadin antibodies from Enterolab. DQ8+DQ1 genes. Gluten free for 3 months.

Years ago I was tested several times for immunoglobulins and they were always 'normal'....no IgA deficiency.

So.....does gluten cause an aquired IgA deficiency?

..... Is this reversible on a gluten free diet?

.......can you have a normal serum IgA, but a very low secretory IgA ?

Anne

I have secretory IgA deficiency which showed up on a saliva sample.

Positive fecal anti-gliadin antibodies from Enterolab. DQ8+DQ1 genes. Gluten free for 3 months.

Years ago I was tested several times for immunoglobulins and they were always 'normal'....no IgA deficiency.

So.....does gluten cause an aquired IgA deficiency?

..... Is this reversible on a gluten free diet?

.......can you have a normal serum IgA, but a very low secretory IgA ?

Anne

I'm not an expert but I don't think so.

Low IgA is just something comes along for the ride with the 'weird' DQ human antigen profiles for celiacs.

Is it possible you were tested for IgA serum but not the deficiency? (You say years ago and testing has moved on and IgA deficiency now 'included' in screening). This is partly just progress, the increased IgA deficiency awareness is partly (IMHO) just due to more people having different IgA tests and the frequency and numbers of people being tested as well as different test methods.

However: Also to my knowledge IgA deficiency in itself is not harmful.

Of interest there are 6 immunoglobulin (antibody) types: (well classes) (in placental mammals - this is sorta important of interest as expanded below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody

IgA is the only anti body transmitted through milk (human and otherwise) (hence the placental mammals)

IgG is the only one which crosses the placenta and gives immunity to new borns.

IgA is 'mainly' secreted in mucosal areas gut, respiratory tract and urogenital tract ... and can prevent parasitic colonization but IgG is the major 'bacteria and virus' killer.

Hope this helps ...