TrillumHunter

Math Question For Flour Weights

Rate this topic

I've made a flour mix by converting the cup measure to the flours actual weight per cup. But in order to use it in recipes, I need to take figure out the weight per cup of the mix. So do I take the total weight of the batch and divide it by the number of flours I used in the mix? Or would I take the total number of cups (because some use more than one cup in the mix) to divide?

Feeling like a dummy here...... :huh:

I've made a flour mix by converting the cup measure to the flours actual weight per cup. But in order to use it in recipes, I need to take figure out the weight per cup of the mix. So do I take the total weight of the batch and divide it by the number of flours I used in the mix? Or would I take the total number of cups (because some use more than one cup in the mix) to divide?

Feeling like a dummy here...... :huh:

Seems to me that if you were able to convert cups to weight for a mix,

if you've made up a mix by the weight method, then scoop 1 cup of the mix put it on a scales and that's your answer?

Or did you use a convertion table ?? if so then your mix ratio will be wrong.

1 cup of rice flour will not weigh the same as 1 cup of cornstarch.

Best Regards,

David

Right, I converted all the flours to their correct weight for a cup, ie rice flour is 160g versus potato starch at 190g per cup. But what is the actual weight per cup of this mix?

The recipe I like is measured in parts so that any measure would be correct as long as the ratio stays the same.

I want to be able to look at a recipe that calls for 2 cups of gluten-free flour and and know that I need Xgrams of my own mix.

David, I got started with this by looking at your site and being pleased with the consistency of your recipes that I weighed. My experience so far is weighing is almost essential in gluten-free baking to get really consistent results.

Help!

Right, I converted all the flours to their correct weight for a cup, ie rice flour is 160g versus potato starch at 190g per cup. But what is the actual weight per cup of this mix?

Help!

Well i would make up a batch of flour mix say:

2 cups rice flour = 2 X 160g =320g

2/3 cup potato starch = 2/3 (190g) = 165g approx

1/3 cup of tapioca =

1/2 cup xxxxxx

(not a real mix)

when you have the mix made up, fill a cup measure and transfer to a weighing scales note the weight. and use this weight in future recipes.

Best Regards,

David

I also prefer using ratios over measurements in cups/Tbsp.

If you don't have a scale, then divide the weight of each flour by the ratio in the mix. So if you have 1 part rice flour, one part sorghum flour, and one part buckwheat, you'd divide the weight of each flour by three, then add them up.

Another example:

1 cup rice flour (160g)

1 cup sorghum flour (136g)

2 cups buckwheat flour (240g)

The total amount is 4 cups, so each weight would be divided by 4. Therefore, one cup of the above mix would be 160/4 + 136/4 + 240/4.