11Grammy

Gluten Free And Dairy Intolerant

Rate this topic

I have been diagnosed for 5 years through a biopsy for Gluten. I have followed a strict Gluten Free diet. I am still getting bloating and wondered if I have to stop not only Lactaid free Milk but all cheeses and dairy? My question is, if I do has anyone found a way to get calcium without the stomach discomfort? Also does anyone take probiotic pills since I do not tolerant yogurt without bloating and discomfort.

Thanks for any help.

I'm dairy free and my doc asked me to start taking calcium + Vit D supplements in addition to a daily multivitamin. You can also get calcium from various non-dairy food sources, green veggies, some fruits, fortified juices or non-dairy milks, etc.

Check out godairyfree.org for tons of great dairy free info, including this article about calcium:

http://www.godairyfree.org/FAQs/Dairy-Free...ut-Calcium.html

I started taking probiotics but stopped them when I didn't see a significant difference.

I have not had milk or cheeses of any kind in a couple years. You can get adequate intake of calcium from fruit, vegetables, and nuts. Eat 2 oranges a day, some greens and some almonds. And make sure you get vitamin D somehow. If you are dairy intolerant then yeah-- you should not have dairy of any kind including cheese. Probably once you cut that out you'll find you dont need the probiotic pills. Do those even work? Fairly sure that is just a madison avenue invention.

I have been diagnosed for 5 years through a biopsy for Gluten. I have followed a strict Gluten Free diet. I am still getting bloating and wondered if I have to stop not only Lactaid free Milk but all cheeses and dairy? My question is, if I do has anyone found a way to get calcium without the stomach discomfort? Also does anyone take probiotic pills since I do not tolerant yogurt without bloating and discomfort.

Thanks for any help.

That's to everyone who answered my posting. I will definitely try these options.

11Grammy

Thanks for any help.

I too bloat from dairy, even lactose free. I take acidophillus between meals all the time(I am new to Celiac). I had A gluten free pizza the other night and took acidophilus first and had no reaction or bloating. I am tempted again to induldge!! I'm getting sick of soy/rice cheese on stuff. i can tolerate it on sandwitches, but don't mess with my pizza! I do drink Coconut milk(OSO Brand) and Almond milk. both seem to settle well and have calcium added.