This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Can I Tolerate Wine And Beer, But Not Vodka!

Ringo454447

Ringo454447 Rookie

Hey everyone,

As I wrote in topic I can tolerate Wine and Beer with no real problem... The problem only occurs with Hennessy Cognac and Finlandia and Sobieski Vodkas. I haven't tried any other liquors or vodkas but I'm sure that most other vodkas and cognacs will produce the same reaction.

Can someone please explain why these liquors trigger such a TERRIFYING reaction when wine and beer DO NOT? This is so bogus!!

Please help me!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ThatlldoGyp Rookie
Hey everyone,

As I wrote in topic I can tolerate Wine and Beer with no real problem... The problem only occurs with Hennessy Cognac and Finlandia and Sobieski Vodkas. I haven't tried any other liquors or vodkas but I'm sure that most other vodkas and cognacs will produce the same reaction.

Can someone please explain why these liquors trigger such a TERRIFYING reaction when wine and beer DO NOT? This is so bogus!!

Please help me!

Thanks!

Hi, I am assuming you mean gluten free beer. Switch to a non-gluten based vodka (potato, acaci berry, sugar cane, etc.) and see if that helps. Here is my fav. site for checking vodka base ingredients:

Open Original Shared Link

both of the vodkas you are mentioning are grain based so switching to non-grain might clear up this issue for you. I know "they" say distillation renders it gluten-free, but this is at least and easy way to rule out any issue with a grain reaction.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I see it this way, the distilling process of liquor is suppose to remove all the gluten stuff that cause our bodies to go into a fit. This is probably a true statement, made by a scientist who followed all the steps in the distilling process properly when they did their study.

The probability is since making liquor is a business for money and not a non-profit business, corners are cut. The filters aren't changed as often as needed, the process is done only once or twice instead of what is really needed. So if we are unfortunate enough to buy our liquor from a batch that was not distilled properly we get hit. Yes, there are inspectors. They can be bribed, someone who really doesn't care if things are done right and businesses also know about when inspectors are going to arrive so they can correct their ways.

(Sorry to those of you that need a formal study, printed up in a medical journal, the above statement is not it. This is just one person's view point.)

If you are drinking glutened beer and not thinking your body is reacting, it does not mean your body is not being damaged. Some times no symptoms can still mean damage is being done. Each person's body reacts differently and can do so differently each day.

Try ThatlldoGyp suggestion for some non grain liquors and let us know how it goes.

Ringo454447 Rookie

Thank you Gyp and Ahorsesoul! I am probably going to try Chopin potato vodka because it seems to have the best reviews...

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

It is madding how somethings will knock us down. Let us know if it helps.

Ringo454447 Rookie

I also think that "clear liquors cause less sickness than dark liquor" is total Bullsh*t. Vodka makes me sicker than anything I've ever tried... Even more sicker than cognac does.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Vodka makes me sicker than anything I've ever tried... Even more sicker than cognac does.

Me too. One grain based vodka and I don't remember anything after it and am sick as heck the next day even with just one drink. Potato vodka I can drink 2 or 3 with no ill effects, remember all of the night before and wake up hangover free. I would try a potato vodka if that is your favorite drink.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DownWithGluten Explorer

For what it's worth, I drink the "Grain" vodka fine. Whatever the standard vodka is that they use in bars (I get White Russians) and Skky vodka have been fine for me.

On the other hand, potato vodka makes me feel more drunk and nauseas than the grain. I bought some to be safe early on, and drank it and was ...bleech. For a while after I couldn't even smell vodka. I thought maybe I just drank too much that night, or something. Since then I've had the grain and been fine. I tried the potato stuff again another time, only having a little, and I still found it gave me all the bad and more 'hung-over,' queasy stomach than the regular stuff.

Just to clarify, my less-than-pleasant intake of the potato vodka is not what I consider a gluten attack. I don't get "glutened" by it -- just old fashioned makes me feel worse quicker than the regular vodka would. Is it stronger or something I wonder?

Ringo454447 Rookie

Ravenwood,

What potato vodka do u drink? Chopin? Luksusowa?

Please let me know. Thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ravenwood,

What potato vodka do u drink? Chopin? Luksusowa?

Please let me know. Thanks!

I have had both. I like the Luksusowa the best but the Chopin is good also. Since I usually mix it with lemonade or cranberry juice I just grab whichever is less pricey.

Archived