Coleslawcat

Help Me Figure Out What Had Gluten

Rate this topic

I made a Mexican skillet dinner and thought it was gluten free. About 15 minutes after I ate it I was hit with nausea, a bad headache and a foggy head. I've only been gluten free for about 2 1/2 weeks and prior to that never had major symptoms, but I feel pretty sure that I must have consumed gluten with dinner. Any ideas which of these ingredients contains gluten?

ground beef

white rice

Great Value Black Beans (can from Walmart)

Hatch Diced Green Chiles

McCormick Dark Chili Powder

Kirkland Minced Onion

Cumin

Oregano

Tomatoes

Cilantro

Shredded Cheese (is cellulose powder gluten free?)

Mission Corn Tortillas

Kroger Low Fat Sour Cream

My best guess is the black beans, but it seems so unlikely.

Thanks, Karen

probably all fine, but what about cross contamination?

Is cellulose powder gluten free?

Yes, without question.

probably all fine, but what about cross contamination?

I prepared it in my kitchen in the same cookware I've been using the last 2 weeks without issue. My kids did have goldfish crackers, but I thought I was pretty careful to stay away from those myself.

I made a Mexican skillet dinner and thought it was gluten free. About 15 minutes after I ate it I was hit with nausea, a bad headache and a foggy head. I've only been gluten free for about 2 1/2 weeks and prior to that never had major symptoms, but I feel pretty sure that I must have consumed gluten with dinner. Any ideas which of these ingredients contains gluten?

ground beef

white rice

Great Value Black Beans (can from Walmart)

Hatch Diced Green Chiles

McCormick Dark Chili Powder

Kirkland Minced Onion

Cumin

Oregano

Tomatoes

Cilantro

Shredded Cheese (is cellulose powder gluten free?)

Mission Corn Tortillas

Kroger Low Fat Sour Cream

My best guess is the black beans, but it seems so unlikely.

Thanks, Karen

I bought McC. chili powder seasoning mix in a package once and it had wheat in it...

Check the Kroger Sour cream? I know it has a long list of ingredients. Sorry you are not feeling well!

It all looks gluten-free to me. McCormick clearly lists any gluten, so if the chili powder didn't list gluten, it's gluten-free. Kroger sour cream (in fact, all sour cream that I know of) is gluten-free.

richard

I once found a non gluten free sour cream....I wish I could remember the name...Dang it! But they are out there. Kroger though I just had a few days ago and it was gluten-free and I was ok.

I am wondering about the gold fish crackers.....those are bad bad gold fish...any chance the little one were eating them and then maybe touched the torillas or dipped the gold fish into something you ate?

I hope you feel better.

I am wondering about the gold fish crackers.....those are bad bad gold fish...any chance the little one were eating them and then maybe touched the torillas or dipped the gold fish into something you ate?

I suppose it's possible. Do any of you ever get glutened from kissing your kids after they had gluteny food? I give them pecks all the time but I find it very hard to remember not to kiss my crumb covered kids. I wonder if that's what did it. In the meantime I plan to use another brand of black beans just because it makes me feel better to do something about it.

I'd say it's the goldfish crackers. A couple months ago I attended a meeting where we were reminded to continue using the "Fish Philosophy" by cute decorations and bowls of these crackers. As the lady next to me munched away, I kept getting sicker, itchy, bloated et. It took me a couple days to realize what had caused it.

In my opinion and from my experience, unless each ingredient is bought as produce and not processed, it is a mine field.

McCormick Dark Chili Powder -This is suspect as many seasonings especially commercial ones use flour to keep them easy to dispense or pour.

Kirkland Minced Onion - Sometime the preparation of onions is synonymous with wheat and another possibility as ingredients are dusted with flour before or after they are dehydrated or packed.

Cumin -see above

Oregano - unless it is fresh

Shredded Cheese (is cellulose powder gluten free?)It can be, but most times it is vegetable based. I can not use any broths with it listed and am down to only gluten free labeled ones now.

Mission Corn Tortillas -very suspect, as most tortillas are made with some wheat flour for pliability and the ease of forming them. In addition, unless the corn ones were made in a separate facility, there could be contamination.

Kroger Low Fat Sour Cream -very likely, as sometimes even cream cheese has wheat to fortify it and make it creamier and richer feeling ---like some ice creams.

Hope this helps. Keep reading labels carefully and check any ingredient you do not know.

"McCormick Dark Chili Powder -This is suspect as many seasonings especially commercial ones use flour to keep them easy to dispense or pour."

It's not suspect. McCormick will clearly list any gluten. Their chili powder is gluten-free. In fact, the warning that many seasonings use flour to ease pouring is pretty much a celiac urban myth.

"Kirkland Minced Onion - Sometime the preparation of onions is synonymous with wheat and another possibility as ingredients are dusted with flour before or after they are dehydrated or packed."

In the U.S., if something "dusted" with wheat, it has to be clearly listed among the ingredients.

"Cumin -see above Oregano - unless it is fresh"

See above. Wheat must be listed.

"Shredded Cheese (is cellulose powder gluten free?)It can be, but most times it is vegetable based.

Cellulose is gluten-free. If it had wheat, it would have to be listed.

"Mission Corn Tortillas -very suspect, as most tortillas are made with some wheat flour for pliability and the ease of forming them. In addition, unless the corn ones were made in a separate facility, there could be contamination."

I agree there could be contamination but all the corn tortillas I know of are made from corn. If wheat is used, again, it MUST be listed.

"Kroger Low Fat Sour Cream -very likely, as sometimes even cream cheese has wheat to fortify it and make it creamier and richer feeling ---like some ice creams."

I've checked it before with Kroger. It's gluten-free. Again, in the U.S., wheat would HAVE to be listed.

Hope this helps. Keep reading labels carefully and check any ingredient you do not know.

My guess is the black beans or tortillas. Why? I have seen that the Great Value brand often now claims to be processed equipment that also processes other things, or may contain, or something of the like. I don't know personally since our Walmart has no grocery in it.

I also think I read about that brand of tortillas that they used to say gluten-free but now do not.

Were your herbs/spices ones you had prior to going gluten free? There is a chance that they are contaminated from using them prior. I did not replace my herbs/spices because I never "double dipped" the measuring spoons. I did however, replace my powdered sugar, brown sugar and regular sugar because I would use the same measuring cups when measuring ingredients that I had used for the wheat flour.

McCormick does say all their single spices are gluten-free, but my family has most definitely reacted to the Cumin. Most Cumin is sourced from India or Syria, I think, and CC can happen at sourcing of raw ingredients---even though McCormick is not processing what appears to be a gluten-free product near any gluten. I even know people who have used the Elisa EZ Gluten Tests strips and gotten a positive result not only for McCormick Cumin, but some other spices too. :blink:

Sour Cream can have extra ingredients---we use Daisy brand becuase it is ONLY cream. Canned beans can be canned on shared equipment with gluten foods---CC can always be an issue if your body is extra sensitive.

Good luck! Eating truly gluten-free is definitely a long-term and continual learning process :P