ravenwoodglass

My Strange Little Dog'S New 'Thing'

Rate this topic

Okay this is going to sound like a strange thing to be concerned about but I know there are some pet savvy folks here so here goes...

My little dog has recently been repeatedly and for long lengths of time licking my VERY large kitty's back. He hasn't done anything like this in the 8 years they have lived together. The cat is frankly obese at around 26 lbs compared to my little guy's 11. They have never been 'buddies' but have always liked each other. The dog has never done this with any of my other kitties although he is the best ear cleaner in the house and the cats love him for it. I have looked at my cat's back and don't see any injury or skin type issue that the dog might be trying to 'help'. I have to say it is a bit annoying when they are both sitting next to me.

Is there any likelyhood that the dog is responding to something wrong with the big guy? Or am I just a overly concerned 'P-ommy'? The cat seems to be acting normal, eat, sleep, crap, repeat but I know cats don't always show when their sick till they are reallllly feeling bad.

Any input in to this weird situation?

It does sound like the dog is grooming the cat. When my cat was overweight (she's also elderly) she developed dry skin on her back. The vet said she couldn't reach her back so I needed to spend some extra time grooming her there. Could be the dog is doing this for you.

It does sound like the dog is grooming the cat. When my cat was overweight (she's also elderly) she developed dry skin on her back. The vet said she couldn't reach her back so I needed to spend some extra time grooming her there. Could be the dog is doing this for you.

I think you may be right. I had increased the amount I brush the big guy, maybe he noticed and is helping? Oh well as long as the dog doesn't lick the cat bald I suppose it isn't anything to worry about. It's just weird to watch.

We had a very obese cat next door to us and he developed HUGE mats on his back. :blink: An elephant could have hid in that. You have a very nice dog. I dont think I would like hiding elephants in my house. They take all the peanuts :angry: