This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Food Suggestions For 10 Year Old'S Slumber Party!

Truleesmom

Truleesmom Apprentice

My daughter will be having her first slumber party for her 10th birthday soon and I have no idea what to make for food! I'm good with snacks -- but would love some ideas for dinner. I'm not able to have the party at my house (we'll be at a kid's musuem) and therefore will not have access to an oven - only a microwave and a fridge. I thought I could just pick up ZPizza or Uno -- but the closest one is 40 miles away. I thought about making finger sandwiches -- but while my daughter loves my homemade gluten-free bread - have a feeling her friends are used to squishy Wonder bread and won't eat them. For breakfast I thought I'd just bring a few boxes of different cereals. Please help with dinner! Oh yeah -- one of her friends has a peanut allergy -- so nothing with peanuts. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

You could do maybe a big cold pasta salad, fruit salad and veggie tray. I make a really good cold pasta salad that my kids really like with the tri-colored quinoa noodles and mix in diced pepperoni, feta cheese, quartered roma tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and olives with a basic Italian dressing as the sauce. There are a lot of main-dish cold pasta salads that would travel and keep well.

Truleesmom Apprentice

You could do maybe a big cold pasta salad, fruit salad and veggie tray. I make a really good cold pasta salad that my kids really like with the tri-colored quinoa noodles and mix in diced pepperoni, feta cheese, quartered roma tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and olives with a basic Italian dressing as the sauce. There are a lot of main-dish cold pasta salads that would travel and keep well.

That's a great idea! Thanks!!

nmlove Contributor

You could do tacos. Make up the meat mixture ahead of time and just zap with shells in the fridge.

missy'smom Collaborator

For my son's party, I got:

*a veggie tray(you could add a homemade gluten-free dip)

*a storebought fruit salad(melon, grapes etc.) and added extra inexpensive seasonal fruit-apples, strawberries etc.

*Lay's Staxx

*a Hormel party tray(peperoni, salami, cheese cubes), ditch the crackers which are well sealed so no CC worries and supply gluten-free crackers or not, we skipped crackers

cocktail franks could be warmed up in the microwave-either in sauce, as is or make into kebabs with veg, cheese and serve room temp

or homemade meatballs-in the micro or crockpot, no need for a carb, just think "finger food" or a varity of "appetizers"

what about utilizing a crockpot?

yogurt for breakfast?

stolly Collaborator

I second the tacos. We did a taco bar on New Year's Day and it was a HIT!! Taco meat in a crockpot to keep warm. Toast the shells at home ahead of time and bring the fixings...cheese, sour cream, lettuce, taco sauce, etc.

strawberrygm Enthusiast

i agree, the fruit and veggie trays, the deli trays, and the tacos are all great ideas. you can even buy fritos or any kind of corn chips instead of taco shells and do what we call a "taco pile on". you just pile all the toppings on the chips in your bowl or plate.

i have also just started making bacon wrapped hot dogs. you take hot dogs, cut them into thirds. cut bacon and wrap it around the dog. fill a baking sheet full of these. cover with brown sugar. stick toothpicks in them and bake on 350 about an hour. they are delish!! lacee's friends beg me to make these for them!

good luck and have fun!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seezee Explorer

My daughter will be having her first slumber party for her 10th birthday soon and I have no idea what to make for food! I'm good with snacks -- but would love some ideas for dinner. I'm not able to have the party at my house (we'll be at a kid's musuem) and therefore will not have access to an oven - only a microwave and a fridge. I thought I could just pick up ZPizza or Uno -- but the closest one is 40 miles away. I thought about making finger sandwiches -- but while my daughter loves my homemade gluten-free bread - have a feeling her friends are used to squishy Wonder bread and won't eat them. For breakfast I thought I'd just bring a few boxes of different cereals. Please help with dinner! Oh yeah -- one of her friends has a peanut allergy -- so nothing with peanuts. Thanks!

Annie's gluten-free mac and cheese, gluten-free chicken fingers (either get chicken breast tenders and coat with corn meal and some gluten-free flour and fry yourself or Bell and Evan has them) sliced fruit, ice cream bars or ice cream cake, tacos or quesidillas w/crispy corn tortillas (just oil the soft ones and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes to make them crispy), smart food, pop corn, cheetos, potato chips. There was an issue of vegetarian times this fall that had several gluten-free kids party menus. I think it was either September of August. You can look at their website for some ideas.

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Another thing could be yogurt parfaits -- clear plastic cups, layers of fruit/yogurt. You can eat those for breakfast, too! We do nachos and quesadillas at our parties as well, but you might get tired of heating them all up. Popcorn and raw veggies are popular too. Another long-party tip is to give them a new food every hour instead of putting it all out at once.....

buffettbride Enthusiast

What about a taco or baked potato bar? Or maybe heavy appetizers like wings (hot or BBQ) with fries.

You can pick up a fondue maker pretty cheap and do fondue, also--and it's tons of fun!

Archived