OptimisticMom42

Dairy Again, Ever?

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone here actually healed enough to bring dairy back into thier diets? I'm thinking (not very seriously) about taking a week off work and eating a half gallon of ice cream just to kill the cravings.

Thanks RA

I'm in the same boat, also want to know. Id never eat crap like ice cream or milk again but I REALLY miss greek yoghurt... last I checked I wasn't even able to tolerate goats milk either, which is supposed to be easily tolerated by people with dairy sensitivities... but nope. One bit of goats cheese and I broke out in huge cystic acnes all over my face... so I guess not. :(

Anyone..?

I was off dairy and soy 6 months along with the gluten. Now I have no problems with either. Bring on the ice cream and I want whipped cream on top.

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone here actually healed enough to bring dairy back into thier diets? I'm thinking (not very seriously) about taking a week off work and eating a half gallon of ice cream just to kill the cravings.

Thanks RA

I was able to add back in dairy after a little over a year. I am 44 so that have something to do with it also. I still can't drink a glass of milk but can use it in recipes and in my oatmeal. I can eat all cheese but cottage cheese is still too much lactose. I can do about a half cup of real ice cream. I only have a problem with lactose which is common with celiac. If you have a problem with casein then all dairy is out of the question. So hopefully its only lactose and you will heal with time to add it back in. I've heard of some just needing 2 months of gluten free to heal the villi and others take longer. We will hope its shorter for you!

I am like Kathy. Severely lactose intolerant, but not casein. It's been two years, and I am now able to eat some ice cream and have had a good blob of cream with my cake. I used Lactaid with it at first (I was so bad that that never helped before) and yesterday I had my first trial (successful!) without Lactaid. Yeay!! I hope it's the same for you. I was pining for ice cream.

I had to go off dairy for about 5 months. It was ok for the whole month of December, yay! Then I got glutened :( The lactose problem came right back. So I am hoping it will go away again soon!

If you have a problem with casein then all dairy is out of the question.

Really? :( I'm pretty sure its casein for me... because low lactose/lactose free stuff or whatever like goats milk did the same thing to me... will it last forever?

So would testing positive for allergy to dairy protien mean this is not going to go away? Should I try a little cheese and see what happens? I've been gluten free about 10 months and am 43 now.

Allergy testing is unreliable. Try a little bit of hard cheese, see what happens.

Really? :( I'm pretty sure its casein for me... because low lactose/lactose free stuff or whatever like goats milk did the same thing to me... will it last forever?

Not sure on this. Others may know more about casein. I just know that it is in all dairy and higher concentrations in harder cheeses. My brother in law who is celiac, had been casein free for over 4 years and is now adding back in small amounts of hard cheeses and milk in recipes only and is doing fine with that, so maybe not a forever thing. Wish I could be of more help there.

Unfortunately, I think everyone heals at a different pace. I took milk products out completely for 6 months and then added it back with no problem. The peanuts, however, were a different story and much harder to eliminate for me. I just added them back after 2 years going without. I am also 45 years old now, gluten-free since 43, I think the older you are the more damage may have been done before diagnosis. I think I have had problems with gluten my whole life.

I tried the hard cheese. Three small servings of colby-jack over a 36 hour period. No reaction the first two servings then with the third I got a rash on my arms and a tummy ache. I didn't explode like I use to LOL. So I'll try again in about six months (maybe 12 months). Thanks for all your help RA