MindytheOrganist

How Do We Know If gluten-free Diet Is Doing Any Good?

Rate this topic

Husband had been T1 Diabetic for 30 years. A1C's have always been great and he practices the "Tight-Control" method of controlling his diabetes by testing frequently and adjusting insulin as needed. All with the approval of his doctor.

He was recently (late September) diagnosed with celiac disease. He had no symptoms except that one of his blood tests came back showing him a little anemic. He was referred to a gastroenterologist, who suggested he go ahead and get a colonoscopy and an upper GI exam. Biopsy of the upper GI showed stunted villi and a blood test came back confirming the diagnosis.

My question for anybody and everybody is: If he is asymptomatic, how do we tell if the diet is doing any good? Husband says he has not noticed any change from before, however some family members tell me his skin color looks much better than when they saw him last summer. I'm guessing that if the anemia goes away, the diet is working, right?

Anyway, I've heard about the symptoms others have, especially if they accidentally get glutened, and I'm sure many people wish they had my husband's "problem." However, it is frustrating to have no obvious improvement.

Thanks for letting me vent a little, and appreciate any feedback.

Some people have seemingly unrelated issues clear up, like brain fog, joint pain, weird little things they didn't expect.

One thing to keep in mind is that remaining gluten free is going to help keep him from developing related cancers like lymphoma and intestinal cancers and further autoimmune diseases. So strict adherence is necessary.

Have you noticed any change in his moods? Skin color is a good indication, especially if other people are noticing. Also make note if there is a change in how much insulin he is needing. Level of energy also. Any skin itchiness that has gone away?

It's hard if he's not having the bowel problems. Such a good indicator because it's so noticeable.

Have you noticed any change in his moods? Skin color is a good indication, especially if other people are noticing. Also make note if there is a change in how much insulin he is needing. Level of energy also. Any skin itchiness that has gone away?

It's hard if he's not having the bowel problems. Such a good indicator because it's so noticeable.

Ah this is such a shame. Poor guy likely had celiac all along and it triggered the diabetes. There is a huge connection between type 1 diabetes and celiac.

If the anemia is gone, he's benefitting. Had he not gone gluten-free, the anemia likely would have gotten much worse and other problems would have appeared.

richard